RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawg Huntin'

Boolit Master

Hawg Huntin'

Been ask to help thin out the pig population in these parts. Just in my little neck of the woods the Conservation Dept says that there are over 200 pigs in a little over a square mile. I could always grab the AR or the AK, or any of my big bolt guns, but I want to do it a bit different. I want to use one of my old Winchesters or Marlins. I could use one of my 45 LCs, but I am limited to about 100 yards with them. I also have my Marlin in 357 mag, but 100 yds is about the limit for it as well. I have been thinking about my old Winny 94 30-30, as it will give me at least another 100 yards giving me a max distance of 200 yards. The Conservation is going to be chasing them with a chopper at about tree top level. So there is going to be hogs running everywhere.

I can pack about the same amount of ammo for each with out being overloaded, and the area to be hunted has both large open areas and thick wooded areas. I think some of the old timers are going to hunt the power line cuts and fields because it is easier for them to get around in the open. I will most likely be busting brush so the long shots will not come often. Only the Marlin Has a scope on it, the rest are open sighted. I have never hunted a pig, and the only one I ever killed I stuck with an arrow last fall while deer hunting. I would love any pointers that anyone could give along with a suggestion of what rifle to use.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Personally, I use a 45-70 guide gun to hunt hogs with. I like to hit them hard and knock them down as soon as possible. From your description of the hunt I would go with the 30-30 not for the range but for the power. In the brush open sites will work well, or a low power scope (1.5 to 3x max). Shots tend to be quick and with the animal moving usually you will only get one shot off. All of this sounds like what the 30-30 does best. Pigs are tough but occasionally you get lucky and when you hit them they squeal and then run around in a big circle giving you an opportunity to hit them again. Good luck, it should be fun!

Boolit Grand Master

Take the Marlin 357 mag. quick and handy in the bush and more than enough power to kill a hog. The 30/30 is also a good choice but the 357 carries more shells, but, I would take the scope off and shoot with irons.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    IMOP The 45lc & 30 30
    Good luck....

44 mag works good with 255 FP boolit. Will break big bones in front shoulder and plant them when fired out of rifle. Always have 629 loaded with them as back up since use single shot rifle.

Boolit Master

I should say that my 45 LC loads are equal to that of the 44 mag. I have heavy modern guns, and use 454 Casul brass trimmed to LC length. I don't recomend that any one else do this, but with the heavier brass and heavy rifles, I have no issues using 44 mag data for the boolit weight as a start load. I have seen people bring down Buffalo with a standard 45 LC so I don't see why the 45 wouldn't work on a pig.

Thanks for all the suggestions as it gives me more angles to ponder. Keep'em coming I am far from deciding. I most likely will not have made up my mind until I get ready to walk out the door tomorrow morning.

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master

air power

Sounds like a lot of fun. Let us know how it goes. Maybe some pictures? I used to shoot Red Wing Blackbirds on a depradation permit here. The rice farmers would herd the huge flocks with airplanes chasing them into each others field, mostly for fun. They grew wild rice, the blackbirds ate it up. I would be in the middle with my double barrel damascus BP 12 ga. practicing wing shooting. Now if you could get a ride in that helicopter...

Boolit Master

You got a 12ga? use slugs and carry some buckshot if TSHTF
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Buddy
    If you plan to eat them, use more gun. Your 30-30 with iron sights or scope set on lowest power. 12 ga or 16 ga with slugs or buck if you get placed on an overgrown escape route. Bring your hand gun, bigger is better.... It is no fun to crawl in brush after a wounded something that bites. Bring TP to mark your blood trails, you can leave it to melt away in the rain. IF you get to shoot it will be Fast with little aim time, focus on ONE and not the bunch. Always be reloading if you are not shooting. Keep track of your area of fire, pigs may run any where to get away. IMHO the .357 is too little unless you plan to feed other wild critters.
    CATS

Boolit Master

Here is a pic of the 8 hogs that were killed a couple days ago. I didn't get to do any of the shooting as I was on the other end of the property from where they came through. Luck of the draw I guess. All 8 of them run over one guy. It was the only bunch that anyone saw that day. Even though I didn't get to fire a shot, I still had fun helping funnel them to the fella that did all the shooting. Sorry for the poor quality cell phone photo.

Joe

WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dualsport View Post
    Now if you could get a ride in that helicopter...
    Got more than my share of shooting at things out of a helicopter a few years back. The nice thing about the hogs is that they won't shoot back.

Best wishes From the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    These feral hogs seem to be a scourge to land owners having to deal with them and a boon to the hunters that have to opportunity to hunt them.

To the rest of us, they're just a dream.

I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming hog hunt.

HollowPoint

Boolit Mold

hey joe you happen to be down around richwood, mo.? heard something about that down there. how do they pick the guys to go? contacts i presume.
    Kevin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kckid101 View Post
    hey joe you happen to be down around richwood, mo.? heard something about that down there. how do they pick the guys to go? contacts i presume.
    Kevin
    Richwoods is only about a 15 min drive for me. I am very familiar with the area. The way I was ask was a good friend and neighbor, (Neighbors around here is any one closer than a 10 min drive) knew the property owners where the hunt was to take place, and the owners told him to gather a crew together. That is how I got involved.

I have also from the sheer amount of sign I have seen, I I think it is time to break out the AR-15 with the red dot sight. The conservation wants them dead, and I can see why. No hunting license is needed, there is no restrictions on fire arms, or magazine capacity. Just from the sheer numbers of hogs, I have seen running in packs of 30 and 40 to a pack, the limited capacity and range of my lever guns is just a bit impractical. I love the idea of hunting with cast boolits, and have done it for years with deer and 'yotes, but these hogs have got to go. It is no longer about the fun of hunting them, it has turned into a need for eradication.

The conservation agent told me that 1 hog will kill more new born fawns than a large pack of coyotes and lions in an area will combined. I have worked hard for the last 25 years to raise the numbers and quality of the deer in the area. I am not going to stand idly by and let a bunch of wild pigs ruin that effort.

If any of the members here live in the area and would like to get in on a pig hunt please PM me, and I will try and get one organized. I have access to thousands of acres to hunt that surround my property, and much of it is state owned land.

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Mold

Joe sounds good im in the imperial area, but know of 2 other fine hunters 1 from potosi and 1 from desoto that would love to help out on a pig hunt . all of us are experieced and safe. would love to see what my 45-90 would do to a hog? best Kevin

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Too bad there is not a packing house nearby that will process those piggies for pay from the State. The dentists around here are now working one day per week for Arkansas Medicaid. Those docs with State supplied school loans to pay back are those selected for service, I was told. Might be just a crediting operation instead of cash changing hands. Just a guess on my part.

Joe, I thought you lived somewhat south of Sullivan MO.

... felix
    felix

Quote Originally Posted by Boerrancher View Post
    Here is a pic of the 8 hogs that were killed a couple days ago. I didn't get to do any of the shooting as I was on the other end of the property from where they came through. Luck of the draw I guess. All 8 of them run over one guy. It was the only bunch that anyone saw that day. Even though I didn't get to fire a shot, I still had fun helping funnel them to the fella that did all the shooting. Sorry for the poor quality cell phone photo.

Joe

Better luck next time BR.
    Was that hunt between the two cemetery's in Richwoods? Public land?
    From what I can tell most public land boundries were drawn with and "Etch A Sketch" after drinking a 24 pack. Any good maps one could pick up?

PM sent BR.

Boolit Mold

Hey Duke didn't know you from these parts of Mo. as well. could have traded alot of brass.
    Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast