Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Rowel ladle ...ehh, not such a big deal

Rowel ladle ...ehh, not such a big deal

OK, so for 30 years I've been casting with the same Lyman ladle and liked it. I especially liked the idea of putting the spout directly over the sprue hole and "pressure pouring " the bullet. However, having some extra coin I decided to try the much touted Rowel 1 lb. ladle. Well, I like the longer handle, I like the greater capacity but the bottom pour deal is no big deal. I mean really, if your lead is clean then a bottom pour ladle is kinda moot. I do miss the spout and the pressure pour. My LBT moulds don't complain but a couple of my RCBS moulds will not fillout without it so I can't toss my Lyman ladle out just yet. Also, clearly, the ladle was not designed with Lee 20 lb. pots in mind. It just barely fits. So my over-all take on it is that it's good but not indispensable. I think the basic Lyman/RCBS ladle is going to work better over a wider variety of circumstances. I'm going to keep the ladle and use it for large casts and for ingot making but I'm not going to rely on it exclusively. If you don't have one already and don't presently need to replace a Lyman or RCBS ladle I'd pass on it. If you are starting from scratch and need a ladle, I'd consider it but only for wide mouth melters.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Buddy
    Like any tool, they each have there place. I have thought about doing a modification on my number 1 Rowell ladle, and making it like the RCBS, just for the fun of it, and to see if it is the next best thing to sliced bread. I think the number 5 is great for ingot making. You are correct about not being in a rush to buy one over either the RCBS or the Lyman for the guy that will only need one ladle.

I think if you are using a gas melter and a large pot or if you are using a Waage pot, the Rowel ladle is a good deal. Unless of course, you NEED to pressure pour to get your mold to cast consistent bullets. In that case, you are plumb out of luck. The Rowel ladle is clearly a fine tool: well made, ergonomic in design and designed with function and long service in mind. That being said, so are the Lyman and RCBS ladles. If you have a small mouthed pot these are the only two choices (IMHO the Lee thing is a glorified teaspoon and fit for nothing except stirring slag). If however, you have one of the larger pots and want something with a larger capacity this is the cat's meow. It is not the panacea for all of your casting woes and it will not cure cancer or make the blind to see but it is a good tool, check that, re: excellent tool, within it's design limits. You just have to know those limits before you buy.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Thanks for the info , from time to time I consider getting the small one but haven't got to it yet . In addition to the Pro-melt and a LEE ten pounder I have a pot I use for scrap that will swallow five gallons of scrap ........ bucket and all . But, for that I have an old ladle that has a bowl of about five or six inches . It will easily fill my ten pound ingot moulds and have leftovers .

Jack

I ladle pour with some moulds and like the standard Lyman ladle over all others as I place the ladle directly to the sprue plate. I began casting with a Saeco 10 pound pot and the pour spout was coned shaped and sprue plate was touched for each cavity. If the mould is vented correctly you just can't pour a bad bullet this way.........Creeker