Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ruger MKII Target Sights

Boolit Master

Ruger MKII Target Sights

I've had this MKII 5.5 Target auto many years and have really enjoyed shooting it. Problem I see is the sights are too coarse and cover too much of the target.

Is there a finer sight available; maybe a new blade in the rear and a bead for the front?
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    i don't know about the rear they are micro so you mite beable to buy a differnet blade. the front is a simple blade held on with a pin so it would be no problem to make a thinner one yourself.

Boolit Master

Perhaps a merit sighting device will clear up the sights for you ? it attatches to your glasses by a suction cup and the hole size is adjustable for size to put those sight & target in focus.
    OR even better join the pack that have batteries in there sights ! yes red dot sights are a god send to are aging eyes ! i have them on most of my handguns and a few rifles and love them i bought my first one about 20 years ago for BE shooting and now im addicted to them , i would not probly enjoy shooting as much nowadays if i did not have them on my guns

Boolit Master
    Midway has a fiber optic front sight i got for mine. It was about $20 and easy to install. I keep the ruger rear on the gun. It works very good for me.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    I've had this MKII 5.5 Target auto many years and have really enjoyed shooting it. Problem I see is the sights are too coarse and cover too much of the target.

Is there a finer sight available; maybe a new blade in the rear and a bead for the front?
    Buy and additional front sight. have a machinist or gunsmith with a milling machine take
    some material off each side. Seems like I had .025 milled off each side. When I cleaned it up with 600 # emery it was under .030 off each side.

That will give a finer front sight.

I then purchased additional rear sight blades and cleaned up the notch. I carefully fit a piece of piece of scrap steel fron a nail into the slot and brazed it in with hard silver solder. I then cut a notch about 2/3 the size of the original. This gives a finer sight picture.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

That's what I'm looking for...

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Buy and additional front sight. have a machinist or gunsmith with a milling machine take
    some material off each side. Seems like I had .025 milled off each side. When I cleaned it up with 600 # emery it was under .030 off each side.

That will give a finer front sight.

I then purchased additional rear sight blades and cleaned up the notch. I carefully fit a piece of piece of scrap steel fron a nail into the slot and brazed it in with hard silver solder. I then cut a notch about 2/3 the size of the original. This gives a finer sight picture.

Shiloh

Exactly what I had in mind, only was hoping there was some aftermarket parts out there. May have to order some parts to work on.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    Exactly what I had in mind, only was hoping there was some aftermarket parts out there. May have to order some parts to work on.
    Not to my knowledge.

Do the front sight first as it is the easiest. I had a friend do one for me for free, then had a gunsmith do another as I didn't want to impose.

IIRC, it was $15-$20 to mill the sides. Cleaned it up a bit and used cold blue to darken it.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    I use the recommended "6 O'clock" hold and that does not cover any of the target. Bud

Boolit Buddy

The same front sight from Williams that works on the Buckmark will fit on the Rugers. I don't know if the Mark II sight is different. I put it on a 22/45.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 6:00 hold gives the same reference every time. I have experimented with point of aim and the groups are better with the 6:00 hold.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

I, too, shoot 6 o'clock hold for ISSF Standard pistol...

A black front sight and a black back sight swimming around in a black bull doesn't make for high scores.

Since ISSF CF Pistol isn't shot with targets with the same size "black", I do shoot centrehold for that... I lose a few points in slow fire, but make it up and then some in duello.

Bren R.

Boolit Grand Master
    I painted my front sight with white out, and did the point of aim method on the center of the bull. I shot good groups in the first couple of strings. As fatigue set in, the groups opened up. You are better off with a fixed reference point. I tried the Navy hold, also called the flat tire hold.
    Same story. good at first but not a fixed reference point. My best groups are the 6:00 hold. The botton of the bull is always in the same place.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    As fatigue set in, the groups opened up.
    More likely eye strain... hard to keep focused on the front sight and front sight alone... focus wanders to the back sight, front sight and down at the target. If the front sight isn't crystal clear and the target isn't a fuzzy blob, you'll never shoot tight groups.

Bren R.

Quote Originally Posted by BudRow View Post
    I use the recommended "6 O'clock" hold and that does not cover any of the target. Bud
    so do I
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.