RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I might be in trouble with the better half

Boolit Master

I might be in trouble with the better half

Well, I went into town this morning to cash a check presented to me by the pastor of a local church for some vocal work I did in his church ($150.00) and decided to stop by the local gun pusher shop just to chat. My wife had told me to get out for awhile and she would take care of our daughter (my wife is getting more comfortable with the suctioning necessitated by the trake and dealing with the asthma attacks)

Soooo...... I look in the case and see a High Standard Victor pistol in very nice shape with a Tasco dot site on top.... price tag was $450.00, a bargain for this gun . I handled it and, well, guess where that new found cash went?

Yep, laid it away.

Now, when I gave up my job at the end of the school year, I had been using that income to fund my gun purchases and other hobbies, so with the lack of any designated monies for the hobbies had decided to back off on purchasing any more guns until my social security started (another six months still).

Last month I purchased a Glenfield (Marlin) model 25 bolt action rifle for $119.00 otd) and
    said to myself "It's only a little over $100", now I have another $300.00 to fund out of household expenses. And, just before Christmas.

Oh well, just couldn't pass it up. I have another concert coming up at another church and we're not that close on the budget that I can't squeeze out a couple hundred over the next several months.

Now I gotta go 'fess up to my wife......wish me luck.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

In Remembrance
    Always better to beg to be forgiven than ask for permission. lol

Boolit Master

Not so quick, unless you feel the need for punishment. Surely you can delay a little until you're around the $150/$100 payoff mark - you'll have a lot less honey-do projects if you bade for time.

I agree with ole 5 hole: give it a few weeks. ha-ha!! I've been married 22 years now, and I have learned to keep some things from her. Like the new turret press I brought in the basement door on Friday!! Of course, she could tell by the look on my face that I was "happier" than usual when I cam in, but I just played it off as an extra-good day at work.

Otherwise, GOOD LUCK, man!!
    Paul

If it's meant to be, the money will be there.

In Remembrance
    Always found forgiveness fairly early on to work out best. lol I'm not saying that is the way I do it, buttttt.

Boolit Master
    Yep. Let her know right away. My wife doesn't mind when I buy something as long as I tell her. And there have been quite a few 2000.00 purchases until about two years ago when my son was born.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    Well, her response was "and that should surprise me, why?"

I guess it's no big deal.

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master

Confession is good for the soul........but it's sometimes real hard on the butt!!!! Having said that, I would go ahead and take my medicine. It doesnt get any easier when you wait!! And you have a new toy to look forward to at the end of the session.

Good find! Wishi I could find one. LOL I'd take the butt chewing too!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master

If it is a long gun ,this is the trick I use. I get an old broomstick and put it in a rifle carrying case. I tell the wife that so and so gun needs to be taken out for a repair to the gunsmith.
    When the lay-away is paid off I bring the new gun home in the case. My wife thinks that it is the "repaired" gun. Once the new gun gets into the safe "they all look the same."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    If it is a long gun ,this is the trick I use. I get an old broomstick and put it in a rifle carrying case. I tell the wife that so and so gun needs to be taken out for a repair to the gunsmith.
    When the lay-away is paid off I bring the new gun home in the case. My wife thinks that it is the "repaired" gun. Once the new gun gets into the safe "they all look the same."
    Oh, I gotta use that one. Even just as a joke.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Banned

i usually just give her the lay away reciept to hold so i don't lose it.
    then give her the final payment and send her down to go pick it up.

i once called her from north dakota [at 5 a.m.] and had her drive 60 miles to the gun shop to pick up a rifle i had,had shipped there.

Oh, thats good

Boolit Master

Ohhh.. thats WAYYY to good. Thats better than my sneaky way to buy guns.

I always for a pistol go and buy a new holster for my already owned pistol and for some reason it's always to small or too big a holster, so I have to buy a gun that fits it.
    I think my wifes onto that on though, now she just rolls her eyes when I mention the holster trick.

I'm gonna try the broomstick though, sure beats buying gun socks or cases that need filled up.

Boolit Grand Master

Ohh, you guys. I wish any of those tricks would work with my wife. She takes care of the money and knows everything that comes in and goes out. When I was self employed she did the taxes, not only came in under a dollar owed several times but actually made a little money on the estimated tax set-aside!

Actually, I'm glad they won't work. Keeps me honest, and I need that!

Don't think it's a problem. I made some extra cash on some forensic work I did and told her about it and that I planned to use it to help pay off a rifle I have building. Her response? "Good!"
    Last edited by Wayne Smith; 10-24-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    well olevern sounds like she has resigined herself to the fact you have a sickness. and there is no help.

Boolit Buddy
    The "church" is where you are making your extra money to buy this. Seems to me someone else is watching how you are handling this situation, and can either bless you, or curse you. Just saying...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    well olevern sounds like she has resigined herself to the fact you have a sickness. and there is no help.
    Pretty much true, we have been married since 1970, so we know each other pretty well. I think for the first ten to twelve years she still hoped to change me, but pretty much resigned herself to live with the man that I am after that.

It came as no surprise to her that I had laid another gun away, and she took it well.

It's not like we're really that close on the budget, thankfully, so it should be no problem paying it off (the local 'enabler' sells pretty cheaply and has a 60 day lay-away).

Won't be dishonest with her and I trust her to be honest with me. Only way we have survived 42 years of marriage is by respecting each other.

About every third gun I buy, I give to my wife. All her friends are astounded by the nice "gifts" I give her, but she's on to the tactic. Soon will need to come up with something else.

In Remembrance
    Big mistake, I gave my wife a 10/22 for our anniversary 30 some odd years ago, and she still claims it.
    She does let me borrow it when I want though. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast