Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Winchester model 67/68

Winchester model 67/68

I just bought a Mod 68 Win. As I understand it the 68 was the same as the 67 other than the sights. I've come to like these Winchesters since buying a 1902 last year.

My question is, what can I to expect accuracy wise and what ammo does the best in them.

Frank

Boolit Grand Master
    I hate to admit it; but I don't think I ever actually shot comparison groups with Dad's Model 67A. I always just shot stuff with it and knew if I missed it was my fault. I have killed a truckload or two of small game and furbearers with it.

CCI mini mags and Winchester SuperX always did well. I think it will depend on how well you can see the sights; silvery worn ones reflect a lot of light.

I sometimes take Dad's out squirrel hunting, for sentimental reasons, but leave it in the safe when the weather turns iffy now. It was the first real gun I ever shot.

Robert

Robert,
    The sights are no problem with the 68 as they came with aperiture rear and hooded front. It was the low end target rifle. Mine has a Mossberg target M4 scope.

I'll give it a try with Mini Mags but, I never had much luck with the SuperX. I'll try a lot of different types but, was hoping some had some good groups with something to campare with.

These rifles can get very additive. They stayed with the basic action from 1900 to the last of the 67 in in 1963. The production of the 68 ended in 1944 after they made the sights optional on the 67.

The ones that I know about so far are the 1900, 02, 04, 58, 60, 67 and 68.

Frank

Boolit Master

Sounds like a Smarta - - answer but not meant to be.

A 22 rimfire shoots best with what it shoots best with.

Get some everything (Federal Lightning does surprisingly well in many 22s) and when you find something that shots precisely, buy a bunch of he same lot.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

TC, i know what your talking about, I do plan to try different ammo. What I was actually looking for was a base line accuracy of these very nice rifles to have a idea of what to expect when I find a good shooting ammo.

I thought that they would have been more popular than they seem to be and that many people would have responded.

Frank

Moderator Emeritus

You have a keeper Frank. My very first firearm was a 67A given to me by my parents for my 6th birthday. One of my fondest memories is of my Dad taking me out and teaching me how to shoot. That little rifle has taught more kids how to shoot than I can count. Incredibly accurate with just about any ammo I ever tried. I shot a lot of different kinds of ammo but eventually settled on CCI because it was produced nearby.

Enjoy your rifle, I know I've enjoyed mine!
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master
    The ones that I know about so far are the 1900, 02, 04, 58, 60, 67 and 68.
    The thumb trigger (Model 99?) and the 9mm rimfire shotguns where also the same basic action. I have an old Gun Digest with an article about these somewhere, I'll try to find it.

John Browning designed these, no wonder they are good.

Robert

Thanks Dean. First rifles alway create a very nice soft spot in your heart. Mines was my dads Remington 550 at 7 years old. They were a bit big for a kid that young but, I did manage I shot it into my teens.

Frank

Robert,
    i did know about the thumb trigger 1899 but, but, I didn't know about the 9mm shot gun. I also didn't know that Browning designed them, that's a big plus in my eyes.

Frank

I shot one for a while. It put twenty some rounds on half of a three inch target at a hundred yards. Probably less than a two inch group. The only thing you had to do was keep the takedown screw nice and tight, it would back off over a dozen or two rounds.

A guy saw me shooting it and said,"That is either a sixty seven or seventy six, I don't remember which. I used to use one when I was a kid during the depression to help put food on the table. We shot shorts because they were cheaper, and if we took eight rounds, we had to come back with as many rabbits, or ammo left over. The only thing you have to be careful of is slamming the bolt closed on a short, if it jams the extractor can hit the rim hard enough to fire it."

I would like to have one of those now, but it would just be nostalgaic I guess. It was a good shooting gun.

Thanks for the input Any Cal. Now a have accuracy mark to "shoot" for. Under 2" groups @ 100 is good accuracy for prodution rifle with non match ammo.

Frank

You know, I just remembered that I figured you could cover the group with a dollar bill folded in half. If so, it would be more like two and a half inches or so, not bad, whatever it was.

Well, I took my rifle out today for the first time to shoot groups. I didn't mention that the Mod 68 was only the barrel and that I was going to mount it on my 1902. I'm including a picture of it and the Mossberg (Speigal) 4X scope with adjustable objective. The scope was a problem as the Xhairs cover about 1" at 100 yards. The group with just one dot was my first group and I'm discounting it because the Xhair completely covered the 3/4" dot and it was very hard to aim and know where I was. That's why the rest of the aim points have four dots. It was bright, sunny and HOT here in Southern Oregon today and I had a little trouble seeing them. I will use a 2" dot next time out and I think that should take at least 1/4 - 1/2" off the groups.

Boolit Grand Master
    Frank,

I still haven't managed to find the Gun Digest that had the article about this family of rifles.

One thing that can help whe using course crosshairs is to use a square aiming point (a black target paster works well for this), then snuggle the crosshair to one corner of the paster.

Not bad shooting, especially if you can do away with those pesky flyers.

Robert

I have come to like these single shots. I actually bought it for my wife but, the barrel was completely pitted so, after checking into relining it, I saw a bunch of 67 & 68's on Ebay and bought mine for $49 delivered, a lot cheaper than a reline. I actually found the scope at a car swap meet in Reno in Aug. It wasn't cheap, I had to pay $100 for it, I payed $80 for the '02

I shoot ASSRA and ISSA single shot matches and have used this ammo in my match chambers, about the only difference in accuracy is how far out the fliers go. I am very impressed at the accuracy that I got with this little rifle. I'll also try a group each with Wolf Match and Fiocchi Match to see what it will do with them.

It has a reasonable trigger at 3 1/2# with a stage of creep before let off. I'll see if I can find some of those pasters.

Frank

This is my best target so far. The ammo was Wolf Match. It measures 1.795 with 9 in 1.320. Measurements taken with dial calipers.

Not as good as my falling block match rifle but, the best production rifle I have.

I joined Rimfire Central because of this rifle and found out that the stock is NOT a Winchester, even though I bought it with a '02 action in it. It turns out to be a Savage 1905 Schuetzen model stock and butt plate. Very suprising to me as all Winchester parts fit. I had never heard of a Savage 1905, either.

I still love my Savchester

Frank