WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Load Master

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar

Lee Load Master

So I know that Lee's progressive get extremely varying reviews, but my question is, since I hand prime (with no plans to change), and won't have to deal with Lee's finicky (at best) auto prime system, will the Load Master work for me? I have a Lee Single stage and a lee classic turret and love them both. The Pro 1000 is not an option for me since I have found that for some of my loads (especially 45 ACP) it is beneficial to seat and crimp separately. So with that in mind, since priming won't be a problem, which is the biggest complaint about the Loadmaster, can I get some thoughts and feedback on the loadmaster that DON'T address the priming issue.

Thanks everyone.

ummm i actually prime on my loadmaster so ... if you plan on not priming make sure to remove the decapping pin , before the loadmaster i used a pro-1000 with great results ( yeah even for 45 acp ) other than the priming the biggest complaint i usually see ( and it's not from me ) is that it's a lee [shrugz]
    use smooth strokes when loading and it seems to work well , if you ever do decide to prime on the machine use a decapping die in station 1 and a sizer ( sans depriming stem ) in station 2 , and at first run one shell thru at a time until you get used to it , oh and have lots of projectiles,primers and powder handy because one can crank out alot of ammo in short order
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

I have already removed the decapping pins on all my dies, since I also hand prime with my Turret press. Thanks for the input, its too bad that the fact that it is a lee is a complaint for some. Without Lee I wouldn't have been able to get into reloading or casting.

Boolit Buddy
    Everything was said, other thing which helped me a lot was using a case lube a bit to make it run smoother.
    And place essential tools next to the press because is loosing adjustments.
    The last thing, buy it from some frustrated user to save the money

Boolit Master
    I also prime on my LM. The new primer systems are much better. I have two LM. they are real nice. They do have their quirks.

Boolit Bub
    There's a lot of smart guys HERE that can help if you need help

Thanks for the link dnmccoy

I have 2 Load Masters set up on my bench, one for large primmers and the other for small. One thing about Load Masters keep them well lubed and don't rush them. Keep each stroke of the lever steady and never stop half way and they will run trouble free.

Boolit Master
    I have been going back and forth on this for years. The problems that the Loadmaster have with priming,indexing,and such have really turned me away from it. I do not own a progressive, and the only lee press I own is the turret press that seems to work fine now. It took some time to get set up, and is quirky, but it does work. Lee has been great about providing replacement parts when they break, but that has meant down time for me with this press. I have been in the market for a progressive for a year or so now, and believe I will be purchasing the Hornady ammo plant over the Lee Loadmaster for the stated reasons. The time fixing, and adjusting the Lee every 2000 round or so just takes that much time from family, and shooting.
    dnmccoy,
    That is a great link you provided for those who are having issues with these. It almost brought me back, but...

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillon...Comparison.pdf
    Last edited by xacex; 10-21-2012 at 02:58 AM.

I prime on mine without problems, but as you mentioned many people have problems with the priming system. If you plan to prime off the press the only thing you will need to adjust is the case feeder. When i got mine from the factory the index was not properly adjusted, but it takes about 30 seconds to adjust that and it has never got out of index after i adjusted it.

If you plan to hand feed the cases like on a 550 that leaves nothing to worry about adjusting and without the casefeeder installed the press is so slick operating that it doesn't even appear to have a ram. I also like the fact that there is no play or movement in the turret on the LM like there is with other progressives due to the way it locks into the press.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    One of the great benefits of progressive presses is doing multiple operations at the same time with each pull of the handle, thereby producing rounds in a production mode/fashion. When you take one operation off the press, such as priming, you are slowing yourself down.

I have been keeping a careful eye on Lee's improvements (I like new toys and a company that does continuous improvement.) and I've seen significant improvement and new products come out of that company since the younger Lee took over running the place from his father.

I have also read (can't confirm, but I doubt that many folks fabricated the information) Lee has significantly improved the priming system on that press. If I were you, I would order the press from someone who's stock is small and get the latest version (and check in the forums to make sure you have the latest version), get the press running, to include priming on the press and see if the priming system functions well BEFORE I made a decision to NOT prime on the press.

Doing this, you could insure yourself you are getting the most out of your press and then decide if priming on the press is what you want to do. After all, unless you're shooting bullseye, you want to deprime/prime on the press to save yourself two operations worth of time if possible.

Just some thoughts,

Dave

Banned

the down stroke of 9mm expansion puts some jerky force on 9 tapered brass. I can adjust some of it out when my rcbs boolit feed comes in. But would still like some tips and maybe other die purchase! Powderfunnel.com has some kind of gadget.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnal Stumblebutt View Post
    Without Lee I wouldn't have been able to get into reloading or casting.
    It took factory ammo prices and buying obsolete ammo from Old Western Scrounger to get me into reloading. So thank you factory ammo reps and hard to get ammo.

r1kk1

I am sizing in station two and there is no issue with priming at all. I use a universal decapping die in station 1. I had occasional primer issues (1 or 2 in 100, maybe) before I put the sizing die in #2. Since then I have had none, 300+ rounds later. They use to get a very small dent on the edge from misalignment too. Now they don't. I have never ignited one on the press or had one fail to fire. For me, doing everything on the press is the most efficient and saves me time. I prime on my single stage press for rifle rounds too. My press is about two months old, so I realize my experience is limited, but i have loaded well over 500 rounds on it so far and the priming was a tad touchy until i put the sizing die in #2. not anymore. There is a rhthym to using it. Almost a syncopated rhythm where you use more speed on the upstroke than on the down (of the ram that is). I find pushing the lever back up too fast can cause the new brass to slide sideways instead of standing up...you get used to it and it stops...i load about 22 rounds (one tube of brass) in under 5 minutes looking carefully at every charge, watching the primers drop and weighing one charge per tube. Not blistering, but steady and productive. I like mine. When I got it in the mail, it took me about an hour and a half to make round number 1. Fifteen minutes later I had 50 rounds made and had to empty the plastic tub...it's easy to lose track of components, so be watchful of your levels.
    Last edited by ronbo40s&w; 10-28-2012 at 07:17 PM.
    Shoot more, type less.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a carbide sizer in station #2 and a universal Decapper in station one, 1100 rounds, no problems. Keep the primer feed full, as gravity feeds the primers into the post. My press paid for itself in less than two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    One of the great benefits of progressive presses is doing multiple operations at the same time with each pull of the handle, thereby producing rounds in a production mode/fashion. When you take one operation off the press, such as priming, you are slowing yourself down.

I have been keeping a careful eye on Lee's improvements (I like new toys and a company that does continuous improvement.) and I've seen significant improvement and new products come out of that company since the younger Lee took over running the place from his father.

I have also read (can't confirm, but I doubt that many folks fabricated the information) Lee has significantly improved the priming system on that press. If I were you, I would order the press from someone who's stock is small and get the latest version (and check in the forums to make sure you have the latest version), get the press running, to include priming on the press and see if the priming system functions well BEFORE I made a decision to NOT prime on the press.

Doing this, you could insure yourself you are getting the most out of your press and then decide if priming on the press is what you want to do. After all, unless you're shooting bullseye, you want to deprime/prime on the press to save yourself two operations worth of time if possible.

Just some thoughts,

Dave
    I've never used the Lee progressives but have used a Square Deal for about 27 years for my handguns. When I lived on a 20 acre hobby farm back in the 80s when I bought it I worked 70 hours a week and I could crank out a bin full of ammo in no time at all and shoot them up after work every night till dark. To me that is the reason for a progressive, if the Lee system is capable of that then I would have no problem buying one.

That is basically what I am doing with mine...load for 10 or 15 minutes and go shoot in my backyard range. sometimes i am checking a load, shoot 5 then come back in and load 30 more and go back out and shoot. I have only loaded for about 1/2 hour max so far. ended up with over 100 loaded rounds and went to watch the debate. I was shocked at how many i made without even trying to go fast.
    Makes it easy to just go do a little reloading and leave it. never run out of ammo.
    Shoot more, type less.

Boolit Master
    I gave up on my priming system. With the case feeder and the LM using primed brass I can crank out ammo very fast and good quality. I mainly only run 40S&W on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnal Stumblebutt View Post
    So I know that Lee's progressive get extremely varying reviews, but my question is, since I hand prime (with no plans to change), and won't have to deal with Lee's finicky (at best) auto prime system, will the Load Master work for me? I have a Lee Single stage and a lee classic turret and love them both. The Pro 1000 is not an option for me since I have found that for some of my loads (especially 45 ACP) it is beneficial to seat and crimp separately. So with that in mind, since priming won't be a problem, which is the biggest complaint about the Loadmaster, can I get some thoughts and feedback on the loadmaster that DON'T address the priming issue.

Thanks everyone.

Boolit Bub
    I broke down and switched to the generic decapper in Station 1 and the pin-less sizer in station 2. Results are OK.. so far. Thing is that all my primer sliders were pre-mangled so I don't know if the few issues I had lie in that part. I can completely see the validity though of using the sizer as a guide and holder so the primer system can work better and I hope it is the pot of gold at the end of my rainbow.

I must admit running everything through the LM on a size and decap only circuit, taking and hand priming, and re-feeding to the LM using primed brass ain't bad at all. I have no gripes parcelling out the process like that.

Boolit Buddy

LEE LoadBlaster

Quote Originally Posted by dnmccoy View Post
    There's a lot of smart guys HERE that can help if you need help
    Thanks for that one. I spent last Friday cleaning a used LoadMaster given by a friend. It came with shell plates for 6.5X55 and 30.06 and all the loose parts in a ziplock bag...kinda like a chinese puzzle or building a watch with no plans. My dies are Lee 6.5X55 with collet neck sizer and after reading some posts ordered a universal de-capper and factory crimp die. I've never had a progressive press so this will be a learning experience.

EdZ KG6UTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast