Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Winchester 54 in .22 K-Hornet

Winchester 54 in .22 K-Hornet

Hi:

I am looking at a Winchester 54 in .22 K-Hornet. It has been rechambered to a .22 K-Hornet and drilled and tapped for a scope. The collector’s value is mostly gone.

How well do Winchester 54 in .any caliber shoot. Has anyone had one in .22 Hornet or .22 K-Hornet?

Thanks,

Terry

Boolit Master
    A friend had a 54 in .30-06. It shot everything he put through it, including factory loads, jacketed bullet handloads and handloads featuring cast 93 grain .30 Mauser pistol boolits, very well.

Never heard anything against them in .22 Hornet, except that they were not originally set up for scopes in the factory and had to be drilled and tapped and the bolt handle modified in order to mount a scope. Presumably, your example has already had all this done.

There were some nitpicks about the safety being "backwards" from the standard Mauser and Springfield safeties and the fact that the trigger sear is also the bolt stop, but if the trigger pull is good and you use the rifle gently and you don't get confused easily, these should be nonissues. If I wanted a classic Hornet rifle, I'd be on that one like a duck on a June bug!

You betcha! If I could afford a 54 today, a Hornet is what I'd want!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    There were some nitpicks ... the fact that the trigger sear is also the bolt stop
    Seventeen million Mosin Nagant 91/30s can't be wrong...

Boolit Master
    I would crawl over hot coals for a M54 Hornet! (It would go nicely with my M54 .30/30.) Hopefully it hasn't been d/t'ed or had the bolt handle altered. If a scope must be put on it, I would scrounge up a no-drill Stith setup, or better yet, just put a quality receiver sight on it and go out and shoot stuff with it. IMO a Hornet is good to go without a scope, considering the limited effective range of the round in general.

Boolit Buddy
    That rifle should be a winner. Now if you could tell where it is for sale so I can buy it out from under you..............just kidding. The only thing you should take note on is when it was converted to 22K Hornet. There are some differences in chamber specs early on. I have two rifles in the 22K Hornet and love them. Sadly none are a Winchester.
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    (Ahem) Nice rifle.

"Hopefully it hasn't been d/t'ed"

The barrel and the left side of the rcvr. d/t, along with the bridge.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by terryt View Post
    Hi:

I am looking at a Winchester 54 in .22 K-Hornet. It has been rechambered to a .22 K-Hornet and drilled and tapped for a scope. The collector’s value is mostly gone.

How well do Winchester 54 in .any caliber shoot. Has anyone had one in .22 Hornet or .22 K-Hornet?

Thanks, Terry
    Back in the early 70's I loaded for a friends borrowed M54 22 Hornet for a summer of groundhog shooting. A wonderfull little rifle. With the iron sights and youthfull eyes, it managed between 1.25 to 1.5 MOA with 45 gr. jacketed Sierras. Wish I had it now.

Boolit Master

54 and 70 are same . remember that is a control feed. out of mag only

Hi All:

Thanks for the info.

Terryt