WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: not a problem but would like input

Perm-Banned

not a problem but would like input

a few years ago i had a barrel recut to copy a barrel i saw in a museum. the barrel had very narrow grooves and wide lands. i had a .45 cut this way with a 1-60 twist and it is 34 inches long. this barrel never is cranky it always shoots in the x . ive even done well at 170 yards by just shooting some higher. i shoot a little heavy for a .45 with 80 grains of 2f or even 80 grains of pyrodox. i use linen patches cut off at the muzzle with a .445 round ball. if you have knowledge or an opinion as to what part of all this makes it such a good barrel please jump in and tell us. i may want to duplicate this accracy in the future with other barrels and want opinions and input. thanks johnson1942

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have come to think of the best twist for a round ball barrel as 1-60, to 1-66. Faster turns, say 1-48 are usable for both elongated boolits and round balls within their velocity range. Slower twist, like 1-72 and slower, are good for large bores for longer range, but they are going to take a bruising amount of powder to shoot well.
    The 1-60, 1-66 twists are a pleasant middle ground, taking a modest amount of powder, for good velocity and accuracy.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!