Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handloader DVD Set unbelievable

Handloader DVD Set unbelievable

I just picked up the 40+ years of Handloader on DVD set and I must say that to me it was well worth it. You can load all the DVD's onto your hard drive and search by word if you want of every issue that has been published. If you want to find something on a .455 then you can search and it will bring up every article pertaining to the .455. You can copy and paste in word and make a go to file for one cartridge if you want. It is really neat.

On a side note I was was searching for an article on a Mauser rifle and stumbled on the front page of an early '70s handloader edition showing a rock tumbler. The barrel was open with shiny brass and guess what they were using as the media, small steel bearings. Looks like the method was "invented" 40 years ago and not 2 years ago. Soap, water and defoaming agent was used, sound familiar?
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Boolit Master

I just received mine yesterday. No chance to play with it yet though. At least it was on sale. Still not cheap but at least for me it still has a lot of good info. Glad it works well for you. I hope to look at mine tonight.

gmsharps

Boolit Master

Link please?

Thanks!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

http://www.riflemagazine.com/catalog...?ProductID=644 Here is the link to there web page.

Boolit Master
    I have considered both HL and Rifle, but the only concern I would have is how they update every year. It would be too sweet if every January the update disc would arrive and just loading it would integrate it.

Rich

I will confess, however, that there is something very satisfying about sitting in the Big Boy Chair in my gunroom looking at a bookcase full of HL or Rifle.

When the new DVD arrives you just add the year to the directory that is it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gmsharps View Post
    I just received mine yesterday. No chance to play with it yet though. At least it was on sale. Still not cheap but at least for me it still has a lot of good info. Glad it works well for you. I hope to look at mine tonight.

gmsharps
    $500, yeah that ain't cheap....

Boolit Master

Currently at $4.50 an issue at the newstand, $500 is about 20 years worth of issues. Getting another 20 years is a bargain as well as the idea that the knowledge in the articles is probably priceless.

Now putting 500 bones at one time is not something I'd readily do but if they allowed me to buy 5 years at a time it might be more economical for most shooters.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    $500, yeah that ain't cheap....
    I know what you mean, it took me a while to come to the conclusion that I would eventually spend enough on old magazines to pay for it. I would read an article online or in another magazine that would refer to an early article in Handloader from the 70's. I would try and find a source online but never could so I went to ebay and would buy old issues. By the time it gets to my door it would be 10-15 bucks sometimes.

Now if I want to read some info on 8mm for instance I just punch it in and every time the search engine finds 8mm it comes up. If it is in an ad or an article it is references and you simply click on the reference and up it comes.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Hunter64 , I can to that conclusion back when they offered me a lifetime subscription to the magazine . It seemed like a lot of money to sign up at the time but it is proving it's worth every year I live

Jack

Boolit Master

How are the reproductions of the photographs? The one thing I have against Ken Water's magnificent "Pet Loads" hardcopy book is the poor quality of the reproduced photos.

Same as originals.

Boolit Master

$500.00 -- holly cow-- speechless over here.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    Yeah, $500 is quite a bit. And when you think about the justification as others have said, it does have value.

However, the folks at Handloader have no marketing brains at all. Yeah, a lot of hard labor went into that project. But how many loaders can or will afford $500 for magazines?

If they were smart, and offered it for $100, they would sell at least 10 x as much for 1/5 the price. I.E., they would double their money. And how much does it cost to burn another CD set? 5 bucks?

Dumb, Dumb. Dumb

Plus, the more you get out there, the more you sell - get it Handloader? word of mouth - Hello?

Boolit Master

Resurrecting an old thread to see if anyone has an easy way to view the back issue files from the DVD set on an ipad? The files are huge. I've thought about a widrive or maybe SD cards and the ipad adapter. Surely one of you geniuses has this figured out. Would love to be able to have the set or at least a bunch of issues with me when I'm on the road, but I would prefer them on the ipad vs the computer.

Boolit Master
    >>>However, the folks at Handloader have no marketing brains at all. Yeah, a lot of hard labor went into that project.<<<

Very true but I don't think the index was all that hard to do it just took time.
    Before we had PCs I called them about a hard copy index and they were already working on one.
    I was tempted to make my own since I have nearly all of the magazines.
    EDG

I for one would NEVER think more than a second about buying $500 of back issues. If it were $50, then I would think about it seriously. I don't have many different guns/calibers and a lot of the old info would just be knowledge for knowledge sake, not useful to me. I very much agree they would sell MANY more if cheaper, and have seen the woodworking CDs fall dramatically in price the past few years. Don't know if they are selling more of them, but sitting on a shelf doesn't pay any bills.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range
    I have all of the issues and the indexes

Boolit Buddy
    I would love to have them available to research, but for the price, I can't justify that at the moment. This is one of the only magazines I read cover to cover.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    I for one would NEVER think more than a second about buying $500 of back issues. If it were $50, then I would think about it seriously. I don't have many different guns/calibers and a lot of the old info would just be knowledge for knowledge sake, not useful to me. I very much agree they would sell MANY more if cheaper, and have seen the woodworking CDs fall dramatically in price the past few years. Don't know if they are selling more of them, but sitting on a shelf doesn't pay any bills.
    This ^^^^

I have most of the hard copy issues dating back to Volume 1 #2.
    I would pay $75.00 to $100 for the DVD of back issues. I have managed to purchase back issues for some times 10 for $1.00 at gunshows.
    If they priced these at $50.00 they probably could not keep up with the demand for 2 - 3 years.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast