RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Rcbs 38-158-swc vs rcbs 38-162-swc

Rcbs 38-158-swc vs rcbs 38-162-swc

As part of my bullet cataloging endeavor, I have received samples of the RCBS 38-162-SWC. In my one book one caliber manuals, it's not listed for 38 or 357, it isn't listed on the RCBS website. So, what's the deal with it? did it turn into the 38-158-SWC? Are they the same bullet but different names? does anyone have a few 38-158-SWC they'd send me for my catalog? The samples I have are might pretty, I must admit.

Boolit Master

If I am not mistaken, RCBS took a gas check design and removed the gas check base and made a longer plain base mould. That's what I have, the plain base 2-cavity mould that varies in weight depending on the alloy. Not sure if that is the info you wanted. I weighed my boolits and they weigth 160 grs with my alloy of 50/50 WW/stick on wheel weight. The mould has this on the side: 38-150. Big Boomer
    Last edited by Big Boomer; 06-06-2023 at 12:13 AM. Reason: additional info

Both of the moulds i've speaking of are gas checked moulds

Boolit Master
    That mould, which I picked up used, is in what I presume to be the original cardboard box. When did RCBS transition from cardboard to plastic boxes might help in dating it. The Speer manual #9, copyrighted 1974 does not show a 162 gr., so it probably pre-dates that.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master
    RCBS 38-162 SWC, for some reason, is listed in the RCBS cast bullet manual only under 357 Herrett, but I use it in my 357 Magnum rifle, with the gas check.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Thanks for the help all.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 38-162 was the original Ohaus design that RCBS got when they purchased the Ohaus mold line. It was their answer to the 358-156 that Lyman has sold for so many years. When they started labeling them, they used the "caliber-weight" motif. Later they changed the mold, because of a perceived demand for "158" grain boolits. They slightly shortened the boolit cherry. (Not unlike how the 358-477 gained 8 grains to an advertised 158 grains, versus the former 150 grain weight, only Lyman slightly lengthened the boolit.)

I have shot thousands and find them perfectly acceptable with any data suitable for either the Lyman 358-156 or the RCBS 358-158. Last time I weight one, it weighed ~161 grains with gas check, IIRC. YMMV.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

The cylinder length may no be adequate to accept long loaded bullets. Like model 19 and a model 28 S&W.

Boolit Master

The 38-162-SWC is interesting. I have one and had the GC shank removed and had it HP'd. Lubed with a Pat marlin pop can check it runs right at 166 grains.
    Not really answering the question, but the interesting part for you Marlin owners is that crimped in the crimp groove, it will feed through my Marlin M1894 .357. It also shoots well in my .357 Blackhawk making for a sweet deal as only have to load one type of .357 ammo. Lyman's 358429 is too long to feed through the Marlin unless crimped on the front driving band. Great bullet in my opinion./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

I appreciate the info Glen and Beagle.