WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Range shot

Boolit Mold

Range shot

I have a hundres pounds or so of shot from a trap field "impact" area that i shop vacced and washed. I am learning to cast my own pistol boolits as well as 7.62X54R boolits. What should I mix this shot with to make a good alloy? I also have some soft (scratch them with my fingernail) 12ga. slugs. I might guess rather pure lead. Would like to make them into useful alloy as well. What would one do with the slugs? I also have a 5 gal. bucket of wheel weights (not separated yet). I currently do NOT have any linotype. Any help will be appreciated!

JB
    Logan Co. Ohio

That reclaimed shot should make nice bullets as is or you may need to add 1% tin if you need it for fill out.

Banned

i'd go with about 25% of the shotgun slugs to the range alloy, a small amount [1%] of tin would help the alloy immensley.

Boolit Mold
    Ole and run5run, thanks for the advice. next casting session I'll try to get some pics out. Appreciate your comebacks.

JB
    LoCo-Oh

In Remembrance

Or, you could screen the shot, by size, and sell it back to the shot gunners, and buy alloy ingots here.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Mold
    Not a bad idea Duke but most of the shooters around here don't mess with reclaimed. I've been shooting it (tumbled and graphited reclaimed) at sporting clays for a while. A couple of the guys drop their own shot and do very well with it. Might trade reclaimed to them for dropped shot but I'll probably keep it and make boolits out of it. Just started making my own 7.62X54R + - 200 gr. boolits for my 2 Mosins and having a great time with them. Anyone have some good Priv. Part brass for sale? Even though the barrels mic out at .312 the chambers are a bit different and I'm going to have to seperate my brass into Mosin #1 and Mosin #2 if I don't want to full length size the reloads.

JB

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    There are different alloys of shot- the harder Magnum shot is antimonial (3% iirc) versus the soft shot, and you have no idea how much you have in there.
    ast a 5# or so test ingot out of just shot and see how hard it is after setting. I bet it will be plenty soft. If so, I'd mix a small batch of random shot + 50% clip WW and see what you get for a final hardness. If it casts OK then run with it. If the mold wants it you can add a pinch of tin as required.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Evan!

JB

Banned

actually the smaller shot has more antimony most target shot 7-8-9 is in the 5-6 antimonial content range.