Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Bullet mold for 5.56x45 AR

Boolit Buddy

Bullet mold for 5.56x45 AR

Anyone tried this one for an AR?

Lee C225-55-RF

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...=0000622BATOR6
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Banned

the problem with that mold is it's a great design.
    it's the follow through that kills it,the mold is either top notch,or junk.
    it will probably do fair in the 5.56 chambering.
    there is a group buy on a 60 sumtin grain boolit designed for the ar's i think noe is cutting it.

Boolit Master

The one I got has an oversized nose and would not work in my AR, cartridges wouldn't chamber all the way and the boolits would then stick in the throat when you removed the cartridge.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    The one I got has an oversized nose and would not work in my AR, cartridges wouldn't chamber all the way and the boolits would then stick in the throat when you removed the cartridge.
    Is that something that could be solved by seating the bullet deeper?
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Boolit Master
    I thought you couldn't shoot cast through an AR due to the gas system.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by chris in va View Post
    I've heard of people doing it and I've heard people say that it couldn't be done. I have an AR that I want to try it in, but I also have a .223 barrel on backorder for my Thompson Encore that should be here within a month.

More about me

Boolit Master

Moonie, is your AR chambered in .223 or 5.56? The reason I ask, the .223 has a shorter lead than the 5.56 chambering. May be that the chambering is the issue. However, I have hear people say that the bator boolit worked well, but wouldn't feed in their ARs.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Moonie, is your AR chambered in .223 or 5.56? The reason I ask, the .223 has a shorter lead than the 5.56 chambering. May be that the chambering is the issue. However, I have hear people say that the bator boolit worked well, but wouldn't feed in their ARs.
    5.56, it is definitely the mold, the nose is .225 up to the ogive, I would have to seat the boolit close to the end for it to work, found it easier to get a 4 cavity NOE 221, they work great.

Boolit Master

Lots of posts on this forum of people doing it, AR-15 AND AR-10.

between my son and I we have 4 uppers, 5.56, 2x300 BO and a 6.8, cast is used in all of them, no problems at all.

Boolit Master
    Interesting. My AK developed a nasty, action-jamming lead ring at the piston port, even using gas checks. Lead buildup isn't a problem with the AR? Someone pointed out their gas tube got clogged with lead on another board.

Boolit Master

Interesting. My AK developed a nasty, action-jamming lead ring at the piston port, even using gas checks. Lead buildup isn't a problem with the AR? Someone pointed out their gas tube got clogged with lead on another board.
    We have had no issues, our 300 BO uppers have only had cast used in them, never a jacketed round through the bores.

My son also has a 5.56 that he swaps the lower into and makes sure it is spotless as he is one of Uncle Sams Misguided Children and cleans extremely well. Mine shares a lower and BCG with my 6.8 SPC. It gets checked often when swapping out the bolt, never any issues with lead in the gas tube or the bcg/bolt.

Boolit Master
    What velocity are you pushing these at, and are they gas checked?

Boolit Master

Interesting. Myself I've always been afraid of shooting the holy lead in mine. Fear of cleaning that gas tube and port is the primary factor. Plus I don't shoot it a whole lot, so that doesn't help the cast. Personally I've been doing a lot most stockpiling of 223/5.56 ammo than I have shooting it. Just bought 2000 5.56/223 mixed brass for $120. Will buy some jacket wearing projectiles at the upcoming gunshow to load to military spec. I guess for me, factory stuff works fine in mine for the time being.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master

What velocity are you pushing these at, and are they gas checked?
    I haven't chrono'd any of them but in the 5.56 I use 16gr H4895, in the 6.8 I use 18gr H4895 with an old 135gr Ideal rn mold. In the 300 we have used several powders at velocities between 1,000 (247gr and 230gr) (non gas checked) and 1,700ish (170gr)

All except the 247g4 and 230gr were gaschecked.

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester, VA, but I'm from the better Virginia...WEST Virginia
    William I had some success with the Bator mold in AR's. It's been a while since I've played with it, and I never quite perfected it BUT I did find loads that would not jam and would function the two rifles I tried them in for the amount of test ammo I made.

My bator mold was up to snuff though with the correct dimensions. Here is a link to former Bator conversations: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...&postcount=115

Boolit Master

Don't get me wrong, if you get a properly dimensioned Bator it should work ok, keep in mind that even properly dimensioned it will have a short COL.

Boolit Mold
    I had LBT make a mould for my 5.56, 60 gr, .224GC. No functioning problems and great accuracy with 18 Gr IMR4895. For me, the the trick is to use a Lee factory crimp.

Boolit Master

I've been using the Lyman 225-415 55 gr with 14 grains of 4227 in my Mini 14 and in my brothers AR. We haven't noticed a discernible amount of lead buildup in either gun's gas ports. The first bunch were lubed with Rooster Red and lately Lars BAC. I'm not sure but it seems the lube helps keep the lead from sticking to the internal parts as well. If a buildup problem does eventually show up I don't believe it will be too difficult to clean up. We will watch and see. Frank