RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: simple lube.

Banned

i might still have your address.
    i have some extra polyglycol/b-wax based lube i found today,from a mixing test.
    it's still semi doughy,and tacky.
    i'm almost done lubing everything i have and won't need it
    it needs some pressure to flow though....
    it does much better if you keep pressure behind the boolit all the way to the muzzle..
    i have taken it to full j-word velocity in the 0-6 [and accidentally past it when using some 7283 powder and a super tight fitting boolit]

Boolit Master

I was able to get to the rifle range yesterday to try some more shooting with the Simple Lube + 2 1/2 teaspoons of X-Lox this was some that had been left in the open for some of the mineral sprits to evaporate. I was shooting a O3A3 using the NOE 312299 with 17 grains of 5744. It worked real well for me even though the wind conditions were more than I like, had wind gust from 15 to 25 mph and the groups showed it. I was able to maintain the vertical spread to 1" but the horizonal was more like 2 to 2 1/2 inches very acceptable for me under those conditions plus using issue iron sights at 100 yards. No dry spot 3/4 of the way up the barrel, nice lube star at the muzzle, no lead, easy cleaning after 50 rounds certainly worth expermenting with some more. And very easy to make I like that.

Richard

Banned

now to trend it over long strings.
    keeping alox under @ 20% or so has done well for me.
    getting up over that does cause some ocassional issues.
    but they seem to be fairly predictable if they do occur.

Aw, Run, you went and changed your avatar! I've always been comforted in knowing you had my back, and now this grumpy looking half a pair of slippers. First Gear takes down the best sig line ever for craftsmen, leaving you as the last bastion of hope for humankind... The little girl got to you, didn't she?

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Banned

naw i just like the grumpy little dog.
    he reminds me of the way i have been feeling towards how the country has been going.
    little girl did put it up.
    i told her grumpy dog.
    she picked grumpy puppy,not qute the same.

i think i got just bout everybody's back, i have a room full of them now.

I thought it was a cartoon character. Looks some on the manic side eh?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Banned

reminded me of my nephew when he was about three.
    he was in his highchair being a tired/obstenate toddler.
    my dad say's "i think it's time for your nap" little ben got a look like that puppy has and say's,"i think grampa needs a nap".
    then promptly passed out in his lunch plate.
    that was 15 years ago and i still laugh about it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SlippShodd View Post
    Aw, Run, you went and changed your avatar! I've always been comforted in knowing you had my back, and now this grumpy looking half a pair of slippers. First Gear takes down the best sig line ever for craftsmen, leaving you as the last bastion of hope for humankind... The little girl got to you, didn't she?

mike
    And there I was thinking nobody payed attention to such things. I still think Lamar has the best sig line on the board.

Gear

I am planning to make my first lube soon. Will this work for panlubing? (No, I have not read the whole thread) Can I use this for 9x19, .38spl and .357mag?

Banned

works fine for pan lubing.
    i have only tried it in my 9x19 so far and a couple of other cartridges.
    but it has been used in the 45 colt with heavy loads and in some 30-06 rifles with good results.
    it remains a titch softer for easier cutting out of the pan cold if you add another spoon of the vaseline, unless you cut them out a little warm.

Banned

it's getting to be that time of year again.
    so i'm just kicking this thread back up on the front page.

send us the feed back you are seeing with this lube...please.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Feed back on Simple Lube.

I just ran a test with one of my AR15 rifles, I just ran 120 rounds threw it as fast as I could reload a 10 round mag, my 130 yard gong is still probably swinging. The barrel was way above smelling hot. The load was 21 gr of surplus WC844 in mixed head stamp mil cases, the Boolit was a water dropped Mihec Nato 227-65 , boolit weight ready to load was 63.9 gr with my WW alloy and Simple Lube. Gator gas checks and some aluminum from a Freecheck III were mixed together. They average 2300 FPS from my 16" upper using my Crony.

After shooting, I brought the rifle right to the bench for examination of the upper, the front of the YH floated forend was very warm, barrel and Dragon Breath muzzle device would sizzle water. The Bore looked spotless, I ran one patch with Tipton solvent to wet the bore, there was no trace of lead on the patch. I ran a brush 20 strokes re wetting every 4 strokes it seemed to be smoking every time it exited the muzzle, maybe just solvent flashing off very fast. I was concerned about my bore guide but it was undamaged by the barrel heat. After brushing ran 3 dry patches pushed from breach, not a trace of leading, just blackened from solvent.

I am very happy with this lube!!!!!!

I mixed it as listed in post 1, other than, times 4 I used a pound of wax so I quadrupled all ingredients. Walmart, Dextron III , Vaseline brand jelly, same green (Hitaska ? ) container of 2 cycle lube.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Banned

I'm starting to draw some parallels between this stearate-free lube and lack of antimony wash from rapid-fire/higher velocity shooting.....Interesting.

Gear

Banned

ian you also relating that with pressure to the muzzle..

Just made my first batch this morning. Used the recipe at the very start of thread. I will let you know if I see any problems but I doubt if I will see any. Thanks. JW

Perhaps mine is an isolated concern, but what are the acceptable levels of doghair and sawdust in this lube?

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Welll.... I think since they are both carbon based that as they go down the barrel the lead slug will get more and more cleaned (fluxed) the farther it goes. This could result in an "absolutely sterile" type boolit under the right circumstances. Please note that although I am ok with the dog hair, and sawdust (I truly think they would make for a cleaner boolit) travelling thru the bore; I do NOT suggest cat hair of any type for this experiment. 2 reasons for that: 1) the pppffFFFTTT!! factor, I believe would be detrimental to a boolits true flight charactaristics; and 2)the cat always lands on it's feet factor, I believe that this will seriously mess up any bc originally assumed to said boolit, causing undo tumbling, twisting, etc... Upon further inspection and serious thought I believe tumbling in sawdust would be your best bet. Your mileage may vary. JW

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Mule View Post
    I do NOT suggest cat hair of any type for this experiment. 2 reasons for that: 1) the pppffFFFTTT!! factor, I believe would be detrimental to a boolits true flight charactaristics; and 2)the cat always lands on it's feet factor, I believe that this will seriously mess up any bc originally assumed to said boolit, causing undo tumbling, twisting, etc... JW
    That's not totally true. If a cat were to break the sound barrier, the "lands on it's feet" phenomenon ceases to apply.
    (Enter bohemoth potato canon recommissioned for scientific experiments)
    However, if you paper patch your cat, he'll fly pretty strait even at a lowly 300fps, and hold a 6" group on a 6' oak tree.
    Irregaurdless, you need to keep the lube you use for your ballistic cats, separate from the lube that you use for lead boolits LOL!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    that's not totally true. If a cat were to break the sound barrier, the "lands on it's feet" phenomenon ceases to apply.
    (enter bohemoth potato canon recommissioned for scientific experiments)
    however, if you paper patch your cat, he'll fly pretty strait even at a lowly 300fps, and hold a 6" group on a 6' oak tree.
    Irregaurdless, you need to keep the lube you use for your ballistic cats, separate from the lube that you use for lead boolits lol!
    bwa ha ha ha ha ha !!!!

Banned

i dunno about the sawdust part.
    i know dog hair when mixed with dryer lint makes a pretty good filler.
    if you use a carnuba based lube in conjunction with the dog hair dacron replacement the filler will slide real fa.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast