Lee PrecisionInline FabricationADvertise hereMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingGraf & SonsStainLess Steel MediaRotoMetals2

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Tumbler Media?

Boolit Master

40# of 20-40 corncob ran less than $25. Ordered it and picked it up at Grainger so no shipping. Years ago that was. More money now but I have a lifetime supply. Look around yo can probably fine it for less or a lesser quantity.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

A few years ago I ordered a 40# bag of corncob from drill spot.com. I think it was about $25 shipped. It actually shipped from Granger. I think its more now, but buying in bulk from companies that sell blasting media is the cheapest way to go. I use DukeinFlorida's method. A cap full or two of mineral spirits and a cap full of your favorite liquid car polish, run it enough to get them mixed up and dump your brass in. For years I used an old square commercial fry basket to separate the brass and media but I finally bought the Dillon separator.

Many different things will work for media and over the years I have used most of them. Rice, rice still in the shell, wheat, sand, corncob, walnut, ceramic media, metal shavings, ect. I just keep coming back to corncob.

Stainless Steel tumbling Media, 3 table spoons of dawn, 1 tea spoon of Lemi Shine, 1 Teaspoon of Cream of Tartar, to 1 gallon of water. Lube, resize, deprime and wet tumble or just deprime with universal deprimer then wet tumble and resize. This is hands down the best recipe I have found for cleaning brass in 30 years of reloading. I dry my cases with a towel first and then on Name:  peg b.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  15.6 KBplastic board

Boolit Bub
    I have used lizzard litter from pet stores .

Boolit Master

+1 on the lizard litter. Seems to polish a little better and quicker than crush walnut media. james

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    http://www.drillspot.com/products/49...bs_blast_media
    This is prolly the best deal around and enough to do 20k cases. Walnut shells (lizzard litter) cleans pretty fast but doesn't give that "virgin brass, glossy shine", which is fine with me. Most of thr corn cob I've seen at pet stores was a flake, not the grit used for tumbling/blasting and doesn't work very well for tumbling brass.
    Walnut grit add about 1table spoon per gallon of grit of Nu Finish car polish plus about the same amount of mineral spirits. Let tumble for 15 minutes before adding brass. It will clean and give that shinny new brass finish

Boolit Master
    I tried rice a few years ago. I finally dumped the dirty rice into the garbage can and the rest I fed to the birds.. Then I bought a bucket of untreated corncob media from Midway. I still have some, but will soon have to order some from Home Depot or see what Harbor Freight has available...That and some more Nufinish....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678