Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Tumbler Media?

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Frankford Wet Tumbler for its 30 lb capacity. I used Armor All Wash n Wax instead of the Dawn. Helps it from tarnishing and leaves a little wax behind that helps with sizing too. Keep the dry tumbler around for rifle brass after sizing to remove the lube. Been dry tumbling some bargain pulled and plated bullets lately from American Reloading. Got the Harbor Freight Walnut and a 40 lb bag of corn from Zoro a few years ago, think that will last a lifetime!

Boolit Mold
    Started on building a wet tumbler. Just picked up 10# of SS media from Bullseye Reloading for $65.50. Also found it for $7/# at 300aacbrass.com. These were the cheapest places that I could find for SS media.
    Need to redeem the rest of my plastic and glass to put in another order.
    Last edited by Talon300; 04-10-2016 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Add
    There ain't no slack in Fast Attack!

Boolit Mold
    Have used the corncob and walnut media for years. I got 10# of the walnut media from Petsmart. Found that rinsing then drying the walnut helps with keeping down the clinging dust. Also add some Lyman media conditioner.
    There ain't no slack in Fast Attack!

Boolit Master
    Ever notice how much difference there is in some companies shipping charges? I was going to order some walnut and corn cob media earlier today until I went to checkout and saw the shipping costs.
    $35 to $40 bucks, more than the media itself.
    Being a bit on the frugal (ok, cheap) side, I called both companies to ask why. If you go up the ladder, you will find that most companies use one shipping company over another, and hardly anyone wants to talk USPS. They get kickbacks, but not from the PO. The PO just charges about half the going commercial shippers, and in many cases that can double your actual cost.

I politely asked them to use USPS Priority Mail, and both refused. I then politely informed to take me off their mailing lists. Pet Smart here I come...

Rant finished.

Rich

The other thing nice about the Lizard Litter is it doesn't get stuck in the flash hole like the stuff meant for tumblers.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Mold
    A simple tumbler media is just plain dry sawdust.

Boolit Grand Master

If there is a building supply or contractors store near you (even some farm supply, hardwares and such) they have corn cob and walnut by the 50 lb bags and in diffrent grits also. Its untreated but can be treated with Iosso brass polish, Dillons version, or some others out there. I think I gave less than $20.00 for the last bag of corn cobs I bought. Corn cobs and wal;nuts are used for blasting on some materials. The Local andersons for years sold them and had a store display of the diffrent grits but you had to go to the outside pick up to get them.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the nufinish, haven't tried adding mineral spirits, I will try that.

I use rice. I think I got the idea from this forum when I started reloading, but honestly don't remember where I got the idea. I buy a 50 pounds bag of it, scoop some out to eat. [enough that I feel I get my 15 dollars worth of food, or whatever it cost] then the rest I consider free tumbling media. I realize that it is not the most cost efficient, fastest or best, but it works for me. I don't worry about trying to maximize it's life or anything. Just a simple no thought solution. Sometimes I give it a squirt of wd40 if I'm feeling like it, but its honestly not needed.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master

Over the years I do a combination for case cleaning. First I deprime, then give them a good 3hr run in the pin tumbler with 1/4tsp of LemonShine (from Wally World) and 3-4 "DROPS" of Dawn. After the 3hr they get a good rinse then into the oven at 170deg for an hour or so. After that, they go into the dry tumbler with Walnut media and NuFinish. The NuFinish gives them a good coating to retard any tarnishing. Then it's off to the races, primer pocket swaging (if needed), sizing, then trimming. After this, they go back into the dry tumbler for another hour or so to ensure the sizing and trimming portions get another NuFinish treatment. Lot of work? YES, nice looking brass, DEFINATELY
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Just get them cleaned up in a general sense. You know get the mud, dirt, spider webs, ect, ect, off the brass. Sort it by mfg and caliber, and most of the rest we will do ourselves.

Boolit Master

ARMetals,

MOA is spot on. Many reloaders prefer to see brass before it's polished. Defects are easier to spot prior to polishing.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

You will get a better price for all one head stamp, but it increases the time involved tremendously.
    Most sell it separated only by caliber.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    You will get a better price for all one head stamp, but it increases the time involved tremendously.
    Most sell it separated only by caliber.
    Exactly, I personally would not separate by manufacturer. I'd separate military from commercial brass and that's it. The time it takes to separate by headstamp is considerable.

Boolit Master

For Walnut media, the best buy I've found is at Harbor Freight. 25lb bag for like $22. Throw a little NuFinish in and it gives the brass a nice coat to retard any tarnishing. This is all done AFTER a good 3hr bath in the pin tumbler (1/4tsp LemiShine & 3-4 "DROPS" of Dawn). After the pin bath, rinse good, run the brass through a regular media separator tumbler to remove the pins, put them in the oven at 170deg for an hour or so, then into the dry tumble (walnut media + NuFinish) and you should have brass that looks factory new. Timely but well worth it. I don't like tarnished dingy brass when I reload.
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Master

Some among us think nice shiny brass is a waste of time and have made some pretty disparaging comments about those that like shiny brass. I polish mine in fine corn cob blasting media plus mineral spirits and Nu-Finish because it satisfies me. Maybe it's the Neanderthal in me. I really don't care if anyone notices. Besides, logic says smooth brass should feed easier.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Here's a great deal: Corn cob media - $39.99 for 50 lbs and free shipping to your local Home Depot!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ALC-50-lb...0125/206941121
    "Oh bother" said Pooh as the tripwire clicked.

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Got a jury summons? Know your rights! http://fija.org/

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Wow, I had no idea they had this stuff. I now use a s/s tumbler, but I still have my Lyman 1200 so nice to know our alternatives.

Boolit Buddy
    I use it to clean lube off of finished ammo. I wet tumble dirty brass.
    "Oh bother" said Pooh as the tripwire clicked.

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Got a jury summons? Know your rights! http://fija.org/

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
    I use it to clean lube off of finished ammo. I wet tumble dirty brass.
    Use RO/DI Water to wet clean removes chemicals from the water that leaves marks of water stains.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast