Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kinetic bullet puller O-ring size?

Boolit Master

Here ya go Light attack

I've had the puller maybe 20 yrs. Threw the collets away 20 yrs. ago. Try it, you'll like it.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Grand Master

Well there ya go. Castboolits.gunloads.com has once again made me feel about as dumb as a rock.
    Why oh why am I always ice skating uphill when somebody is explains the law of gravity?
    I seriously just had an "oh" moment.
    I broke the spring that held my old cartridge holder together a couple weeks ago and actually spent precious time making another one from scratch.........6 inches away from the shellholder mounted in the press.
    All I can say is "WOW"
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Hence the advice someone offered above to orient the open side of the shellholder toward the handle so the shell can't slip off-center when swung.

Gear
    I use the shellholder most often but if I only need to pull a couple then I will use the collet. Did not know that trick above, I will use it from now on.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    Don't be so hard on yourself Tim, youda found it eventually.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Banned

Yeah, don't feel bad. I learned that trick from someone here years ago.

Gear

Well, I be....Live and learn.

The notion of using a shell holder in the inertia bullet puller never occured to me. I have an RCBS bullet pullers that has been dead for several years due to a lose of the O ring, persky little thing! I slipped in a shell holder and a dummy round loaded with a cast bullet that had been laying on my bench and whacked it a couple of times on the anvil portion of my vise. Sure enough, pulled like a champ.

Thanks guys for the tip.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Here is a perfect example of how a society grows to become greater than the sum of it's parts.

Many of the people here, myself included, have never even considered this idea of using a shell holder ina bullet remover. And yet, many have been doing it as a matter of course for many years without a second thought.

The point is that we as a team can rise above the norm and achieve higher goals than we can as individuals, and all members of the team are valuable. Brainstorming is what they call it, and it works really well.

This works espeically well with technical problems as different view points of a problem contribute to greater understanding and resultant solutions to the individual facets associated with the whole problem. IE we advance the technology.

It is not however the answer to all issues facing mankind, and it is especially not true when dealing with people. When dealing with people, self interest gets in the way and most times the individual has not got a complete grasp of the entire scope of the issue at hand or in many cases doesn't care.

The UN is a perfect example of everyone looking out for their own interests to the point where nothing gets done.

This is where you need a single leader. And sometimes you have to follow that leader no matter how bad the end result looks. The Army is an example. Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to in order for the group to survive.

The big thing that comes along with being a leader is "Taking Responsibility for the Outcome of your Leadership!"

That does not mean saying "you take responsibility" when there are no consequences. It means consequences that are commensurate with the level of responsibility you have taken. We see the cheap side of this all the time in politics.

Yesterday we saw Hildegard "take responsibility" for the Lybia incident, except she didn't resign or get fired.

So exactly how did she take responsibility?

Just some thoughts to ponder while eating your lunch tomorrow.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Here is a perfect example of how a society grows to become greater than the sum of it's parts.

Many of the people here, myself included, have never even considered this idea of using a shell holder ina bullet remover. And yet, many have been doing it as a matter of course for many years without a second thought.

The point is that we as a team can rise above the norm and achieve higher goals than we can as individuals, and all members of the team are valuable. Brainstorming is what they call it, and it works really well.

This works espeically well with technical problems as different view points of a problem contribute to greater understanding and resultant solutions to the individual facets associated with the whole problem. IE we advance the technology.

It is not however the answer to all issues facing mankind, and it is especially not true when dealing with people. When dealing with people, self interest gets in the way and most times the individual has not got a complete grasp of the entire scope of the issue at hand or in many cases doesn't care.

The UN is a perfect example of everyone looking out for their own interests to the point where nothing gets done.

This is where you need a single leader. And sometimes you have to follow that leader no matter how bad the end result looks. The Army is an example. Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to in order for the group to survive.

The big thing that comes along with being a leader is "Taking Responsibility for the Outcome of your Leadership!"

That does not mean saying "you take responsibility" when there are no consequences. It means consequences that are commensurate with the level of responsibility you have taken. We see the cheap side of this all the time in politics.

Yesterday we saw Hildegard "take responsibility" for the Lybia incident, except she didn't resign or get fired.

So exactly how did she take responsibility?

Just some thoughts to ponder while eating your lunch tomorrow.

Randy
    You got all that out of a bullet puller? I really need to pay more attention to that tool!!! Just kidding Randy!
    The truth is, that pearls like this are what keep me coming back here. This sort of thing is what really stokes my fire-pit!
    I'm still reeling from this thread and it has not lost any of its wondrous simplicity:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=116741
    Still the best thread I ever read. I love it when simple truths replace complex superstitions!!!!!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Banned

Simple things teach great truths.

BIG difference between solving technical issues and humanity issues. This is why I made my carreer solving problems with machines rather than people.

Gear

Me too Gear, in my case, I like most dogs better than I like most people.

Good thing about machines is if they don't work right you can shut them off.

Too bad we can't do that with more people.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Great question,and answers on this thread,always something to be learned here! Thanks,and right on,GT27
    Last edited by GT27; 10-17-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Mold
    #67 O-ring, $3 for pkg. of 10 at Home Despot, in the faucet repair section

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliden07 View Post
    If you have the shell holder you can use them instead of the collet with the bands. It works good and is way easier to use than those collets!! If you really want the O-rings check a True Value store in the Plumbing Dept they usually have a large selection with differant dia and thickness's, and there usually pretty resonable!!
    I have used the kinetic pullers for years,and never knew that .Thanks

Boolit Master
    And if you put a foam earplug in the bottom you won't damage the nose of your bullets
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I love simple but effective ideas, especially the forehead slapping, "that's so simple and obvious!" ones.

I'll have to remember to orient the cut out towards the handle. I'm just the kind of person who'd learn that one the hard way...

Boolit Master

Guess I’m showing my age, either here another gun board somebody posted photos after he set off a live round using the shell holder. Been 10 or more years ago, it wasn’t pretty, I tried to find the post and no luck. Might have been on the 90’s rec.guns I saw it. I haven’t used the method since.

As a caution I believe the poster mentioned using an old shell holder. The older shell holders especially the black oxide pre Hornady Pacific had smaller holes in the center.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    I have used the kinetic pullers for years,and never knew that .Thanks
    Another one to confess here. I never even remotely thought of a shellholder here.

A perfect timing to learn this,I'm in the middle of bullet size/alloy/coating test craziness. I pull a lot 38 / 357. I just completed my expander set from .355 to .360. Life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by azrednek View Post
    Guess I’m showing my age, either here another gun board somebody posted photos after he set off a live round using the shell holder. Been 10 or more years ago, it wasn’t pretty, I tried to find the post and no luck. Might have been on the 90’s rec.guns I saw it. I haven’t used the method since.

As a caution I believe the poster mentioned using an old shell holder. The older shell holders especially the black oxide pre Hornady Pacific had smaller holes in the center.
    I had read about the use of the shell holder and that the round went off. I stay with the way my puller is and what the OP is, that is the same one I had got back in the late 80's and did not replace the O ring but now I know where to look for a replacement to have on hand just in case the one that I been usen gose on me.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I used shell holders for years (pretty sure I read about it here). All went well until I used my only Lee shell holder. I broke the lip that holds the rim completely off on the first impact. The break had a granular look that resembled a broken casting. Don't know if it was just a random defect or if all Lee shell holders are prone to breaking.

I saw this thread and my first thought was; "doesn't he know about using a shell holder? I will tell him". Looks like I am at the end of a long line.
    Oh well, maybe this next tip will help someone else. Sometimes the impact tools have to be smacked pretty hard to remove the bullet. I can vouch for the fact they can be broken. Somehow, years back, I managed to figure out that holding a chunk of 2x4 in one hand and the bullet puller in the other hand and smacking the 2 together (doubling the impact velocity) I had much better luck with less brute force if the bullet was stubborn. My chunk of 2x4 is about a foot long and I whack it on the end grain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast