WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOT new replacement for brass!! Wave of the future!!

Boolit Buddy

HOT new replacement for brass!! Wave of the future!!

So found this cruising the web. Hope they don't think I'll be buying any of this.

http://www.guns.com/ploycase-ammunit...380-11521.html

Against nature I say!

Boolit Master

The latest iteration of the aluminum/steel case non-reloadable cheap ammo. Our brass cases aren't going anywhere (except up in price, but with the price of copper, that's unavoidable).

Meanwhile -- those have metal rims/heads, have to have either Boxer or Berdan primers, and folks have been reloading plastic shotshells (not to mention paper hulls) for a long, long time. Someone will find those aren't as non-reloadable as the article writer thinks...

In Remembrance
    Well they are greener than brass. geesh
    They do come in pink, maybe they should advertise on this site. http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/

Nothing new, they have been around since the '80s. Shotshells are plastic but from my experience the poly cases do not provide sufficient neck tension for semiautos. The last ones I had were .223 and worked ok in a Contender, if they weren't free I would have called them a waist of money.

Boolit Master

Pioneers get arrows in their backs.

I will wait and see.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

The military looked into poly cased ammo years ago and I haven't heard of them issueing any as yet. Must be a reason for that.

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    They did this in 223 a while back, they worked, but when the chamber gets hot the case gets soft and you lose neck tension and accuracy goes to poo, or it jams or sets back in an autoloader.
    They had 38 spl in plastic cases too, I had one or two. Same problem.

Then there was the USAC ammo which used heeled bullets and a plier-type reloader. Failed.

I have friends in the plastics industry who were actively working on polymer cased ammo for the military. One of the criteria is it had to actively decompose in sunlight so they didn't need to police up the ranges as well. Obviously only good for training or practice.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by evan price View Post
    They did this in 223 a while back, they worked, but when the chamber gets hot the case gets soft and you lose neck tension and accuracy goes to poo, or it jams or sets back in an autoloader.
    This is all dependent on the polymer used. ABS and polycarbonate soften at elevated temperatures; nylon holds up a good bit higher (they used to sell nylon utensils for use in non-stick cookware, though most of that market has gone to polymer alloys and melamine now); aramid (generic for Kevlar) can stand up to chamber temps close to cook-off range without softening (but has other problems, else we'd all be shooting Kevlar ammo by now). Aramid reinforced phenolic would probably take anything aluminum cases would, though there could be issues with cracking under excessive mechanical force (i.e. the case might have to be made thicker, reducing ballistic performance, to take very rough handling or full-auto loading stresses) -- and that material wouldn't require resizing after firing; it would either return to original dimensions, or it would crack/break/shatter. Deprime, reprime, charge powder and seat a bullet, and ready to shoot again, and about half the case weight of aluminum.

Few if any of these will decompose in sunlight; there'd be empty cases on/in the ground in a combat zone longer than is now the case with brass, never mind steel case military ammo that rusts away in a few years. Add the "green" requirements, and plastic ammo that shoots well and stands up to conditions like hot chambers becomes a pretty difficult task.

These two comments got me:

From article:
    The polymer can be recycled, so there's that angle as well.
    Response from PolyCase Ammunition to question about rim separation:
    1) The patent pending design of the case virtually ensures that the metal extraction rim will not separate from the remainder of the case. In fact, it is because of this characteristic that we do not consider PolyCase ammunition to be recyclable.

Boolit Master
    Bought these years ago.

anybody remember the Dardick pistol mfg 1949--1950 & the Tround? the round was made of polymer 38 cal tround.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Buddy
    i got some .38 spl with the plastic case they were odd so i got a few --but ill stick to brass thks
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Boolit Grand Master

Bought and shot 100 rds of the .223 poly and brass cases like in the pic above. Dismal accuracy,
    but may have nothing to do with the cases, may be garbage bullets. Whatever, I'd never
    buy it again - but the cases worked fine.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I was all for something new until I read this.
    The polymer cases can't be reloaded, so there's no worry about who might have reloaded the ammunition, or how many times the brass has been reused. The polymer can be recycled, so there's that angle as well.
    This very well could be the angle the anit gun people could use, scary thought.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Grand Master

At the least it is interesting!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    The Lightweight Small Arms Technology (LSAT) Light Machine Gun and rifle both use a polymer case (there's also a caseless ammo version). It's not a bottleneck design, though, it's a cylinder that 'telescopes' over the bullet. While it will probably be some time before this technology becomes mainstream, it **is** coming - whether we like it or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSAT_light_machine_gun
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Attachment 54869

The black powder guys have been on this for a while.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    The black powder guys have been on this for a while.
    Yep, they were making combustible paper cartridges around 160 years ago, and non-combustibles a lot longer back than that -- I've read reports that paper cartridges go back to the first military units armed with "handgonnes", in the 15th century. If we didn't need the cartridge to obturate in modern firearms, I suspect we'd have combustible polymer cartridges (aka guncotton cases) that would act like caseless, except less prone to break down into propellant dust from handling.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by I'll Make Mine View Post
    Yep, they were making combustible paper cartridges around 160 years ago, and non-combustibles a lot longer back than that -- I've read reports that paper cartridges go back to the first military units armed with "handgonnes", in the 15th century. If we didn't need the cartridge to obturate in modern firearms, I suspect we'd have combustible polymer cartridges (aka guncotton cases) that would act like caseless, except less prone to break down into propellant dust from handling.
    Then you would miss the "gasket" effect of the brass, and suffer blow back as the old ones had.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Thief View Post
    Then you would miss the "gasket" effect of the brass, and suffer blow back as the old ones had.
    Hence my qualification:
    If we didn't need the cartridge to obturate in modern firearms
    I do note that most military guns bigger than around four inch bore use component loading, aka loose ammunition, rather than fixed ammunition -- howitzers and naval rifles. They avoid blowby at the breech somehow; seems to me I recall the sixteen inch naval rifles from WWII having something built into the breech that seals under pressure like our cartridges do -- but it's part of the gun, not part of the ammunition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast