Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: New RCBS LAMII deforming bullets, need help

Boolit Man

Question New RCBS LAMII deforming bullets, need help

Hi guys,
    Got my new RCBS LAMII in a few weeks ago. Set it up on my bench this weekend. Have the .401 RCBS Sizer die and using it to size and lube bullets from a .401 LEE 175gr. Truncated Cone mold to shoot in my 10mm. Alloy is wheel weights.
    My lube is White Label 2500. I've set up the RCBS LAMII according to the instructions.
    Lubed the first bullet and placed it nose up in the top of the die. Pulled the ram down and it will size the bullet and shave lead like a LEE bullet sizer and leaves a crease of bunched up lead around the nose of the bullet in an irregular pattern. Also, deforming the grease groove where lube is supposed to go as well.
    Tried some more bullets, did the same thing.
    Have adjusted the bullet ejector rod to what the instructions said.

I'm at a lost to what is causing this. Anyone else run into this type of problem?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Boolit Buddy
    I think I had the same problem. Here are pics of my bullets, you can tell that one side leaves the bands looking fine and the other side they are flattened. I switched to larger sizing dies(.323 instead of .321) and seat the gas checks first in a Lee push through sizer after spraying them with case lube, clean them with an old t shirt, then lube them in a LAM2. I also anneal the gas checks now hoping that will make them seat more easily. They don't come out perfect, but it greatly reduced the problem.

I was using soft metal and hardened it up a tad, seems to have maybe helped some, but it's still pretty soft.

Boolit Master

Couple of things. What is the diameter of you bullets before you size them? What is the ID of the sizing die? See if it is actually a .401" dia.

Sounds like you have a bid difference between the unsized and sized diameters. If you confirm that the diameter of the die is correct, you might have to start with a larger diameter sizing die and step it down.
    Jon

Boolit Man
    Looks like it may the LEE TC mold sizing too big. I'm sending back to Midway to replace it. I micd some bullets and they were like .405 .404. Sizing die may be bad too. RCBS is sending another one. Is correct dia. for .40 .401 diamter.
    May be a problem with the LEE 6 gang designs oversizing bullets dropped from these TC designs.
    My LEE tumble lube design molds are never out of spec. Always correct diameters.

Boolit Man
    I further confirmed this size issue with the LEE TC mold by using a bullet out of the LEE tumble lube mold and it went into the die and out with hardly any sizing marks at all. The tumble lube bullets don't require sizing at all in most cases.

Boolit Grand Master

What are you using for a nose punch? Lee doesn't make any or provide any.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Did you tighten the screw on the top punch? Sometimes that will push it off-center and cause alignment issues. Try leaving the screw backed out a bit and put a little lube of the shank of the punch before you put it into the ram. Lets it 'float' a bit to self-center.
    Rick

Boolit Man
    Mold is throwing oversize bullets because it wasn't closing like it should. I'll try again this weekend since I've cleaned it again and the blocks are fitting alot closer.

The nose punch is from the theperfessor here on Castboolits. It has an O ring on it to let it float a little in the ram.

Boolit Man
    Everything is fine now. Two words OPERATOR ERROR. Bullets are the right size now.Now that I cleaned the mold and it's closing like it should. Lubing and sizing like it should. I see now I will be loving this RCBS LAMII. Sized and perfectly lubed the grease groove on the .401 dia. 10mm hard cast like it should have.
    This is only way to go now for me. Love it!

Boolit Master

Ain't it great when things come together!

Boolit Man
    Yes! I thought this thing has got to work. Simple test, if the bullets are way over size like mine were they will get deformed.
    Casting 101, clean molds of stray lead and debris so the blocks close good and tight, bullets size like they should and the LAMII is lubin and sizin like it should.
    I may get one your round nose punches size .452 for my .45 bullets later on. Paypal of course. I have to get a mold with a grease groove, the only round nose .45 mold I have now is the tumble lube design.
    Your flat nose punch is working like a champ with the TC bullets. Thanks!

Another member made me a flat nose punch ,I use it for all my flat nosed boolets .It just works.
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

Boolit Grand Master

The tumble lube desings can be lubed in your RCBS machine with no problems.