Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boring .358

Boolit Master

Boring .358

Cast boolit addicts should either want a .358 Winchester, or already have one, IMHO! I have 2.
    Here's one, and one of it's favorite loads. It's a 700 Remmy, HS Precision stock, Shilen ss barrel, 1/14 twist. Old Leupold 2x7 vxII,in Holland 1piece mounts.The load was the 358009 , 34 grains of 3031. The two "fliers"on the left I attribute to the gusty cross winds blowing here today. 8 shots. 50 yards. The gun has done almost this well a number of times at 100yards. Shoots the 245 grain Saeco with 4320 powder almost this well. The other cartridge is the 358156 loaded with 3.5 grains of Titegroup. Shoots to point of aim at 25 yards with rifle zeroed with the 358009 load. Good for lots of things, too, but i need to up the powder charge a bit. I have never slugged the barrel on either of my .358's. Both have Shilen barrels. Obviously the boolits fit pretty well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-10-13_14-21-19_839.jpg   2012-10-13_14-21-39_271.jpg  
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    They shoot boringly well, don't they? I have a notion if someone with good eyes and nerves shot mine off the bench, the shots would stay in the same hole.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I shot a 358 on a Remington 40x also with a Shilen barrel set up for CBA match shooting that shot very well.The 250-280g bullets at a velocity to make them an advantage over a 200g 30 caliber was too much recoil for a long match even though it weighed 12.5#

George

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

That thing's really, really ugly. You ought to send it to me so I can hide it in a closet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    I shot a 358 on a Remington 40x also with a Shilen barrel set up for CBA match shooting that shot very well.The 250-280g bullets at a velocity to make them an advantage over a 200g 30 caliber was too much recoil for a long match even though it weighed 12.5#

George
    I chose the Shilen barrels, too because I had good luck with them on other rifles. I like Lilja barrels, too. I have a 40X single shot in .22/250 that I once thought about re-barreling to a cast boolit only rifle.

Come on now Everyone with any type of 1st Grade Education knows the .358 Winchester will not shoot much less shoot cast. Sorry I forgot some Info lol. The BOOLIT is the BRP 360-220 Gr GC 5 rounds for each group on my Powder Charge Work up at 50 yards.

Thank You for the info on the 358009.
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 10-13-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

And here is the other one. It's a Remmy 600, with the identical Shilen barrel on it. It has a Lone Wolf lightweight stock, a 1x4 Leupold, This is the ugly one, to my eye, with it's dogleg bolt handle and backwards trigger guard. (This is the one I ought to send to Junior)But it sure does shoot. It doesn't feed the 358009 as well as the 700 does, but works fine with everything else. Most often it gets the Saeco 245 grain, with either 37 grains of 3031 or 40 grains of 4320. Both guns shoot the 200grain RCBS with 29 grains of 5744. It's hard to find a load that these don't like, cast or jacketed. This one only weighs 7 lbs 3oz, according to my meat scales, and is a great gun to carry all day. (despite it's looks!) and it shoots every bit as good as the other one. Don't ask why I have two .358's, 'cause I don't really have a sensible answer. I like 'em both though, and when I am in the woods here,I will most often have one of these or one of my 45/70's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-10-13_17-16-46_90.jpg  

Does that 600 still have the deformed plastic floor plate in the new stock or is it a blind magazine now? I think the plastic Rem used in those things deformed a week after they left the factory I aint never seen a straight one yet.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

My old Steel Browning 358W BLR loved the light weight RCBS 180gr silhouette bullet with or without the GC & 4759 powder.
    32ideal

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Does that 600 still have the deformed plastic floor plate in the new stock or is it a blind magazine now? I think the plastic Rem used in those things deformed a week after they left the factory I aint never seen a straight one yet.
    It has a blind magazine with the Lone Wolf stock. You can get steel bottom metal for the 600, but it's kinda pricey.Mine has a Remington700 ADL stainless triggerguard but its turned backwards. Thats just how they fit with this stock.
    Last edited by softpoint; 10-13-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Softpoint, I have the 700 .358 also. Mine has the ER Shaw 1-14 twist barrel and it too resides in
    an HS precision stock. The action has been tuned and it's a real shooter. I also have a rechambered 760 pump carbine and a Ruger Hawkeye, blued with wood stock. Love em all and none are ugly to me. Must be the genetics.lol
    358 Win

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 358 Win View Post
    Softpoint, I have the 700 .358 also. Mine has the ER Shaw 1-14 twist barrel and it too resides in
    an HS precision stock. The action has been tuned and it's a real shooter. I also have a rechambered 760 pump carbine and a Ruger Hawkeye, blued with wood stock. Love em all and none are ugly to me. Must be the genetics.lol
    358 Win
    Shaw barrels have a reputation for being a good value for the dollar. I have one on an AR15 in 7.62x39, and it is very accurate.
    I suppose I should say that my Rem 600 looks a bit unusual, rather than labeling it as ugly. But, the saying is ,"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder" !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by softpoint View Post
    Don't ask why I have two .358's, 'cause I don't really have a sensible answer.
    Up until last week, I too, had two .358s. Made a silly swap and lost my M.70 with it's Shaw barrel. My buddy called yesterday and said the dad blamed thing would not shoot for road apples....that 3 shots opened up to almost as big as a dime, time after time! I'd told him it was a shooter.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JDL View Post
    Up until last week, I too, had two .358s. Made a silly swap and lost my M.70 with it's Shaw barrel. My buddy called yesterday and said the dad blamed thing would not shoot for road apples....that 3 shots opened up to almost as big as a dime, time after time! I'd told him it was a shooter.
    The 45/70, and .358 have become my favorite 2 rifle cartridges. The .308 and .30/06 are others I like. (along with 7.62x39, .30/30,and well, you know how it goes) and it's incurable.

Banned
    With a few notable exceptions.....most of my " truly boring" guns shoot 35 caliber boolits.........weird huh?

Boolit Buddy
    Man I would love to be bored with a 358! Next on my list without a doubt! Great thread bump

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by NLS1 View Post
    Man I would love to be bored with a 358! Next on my list without a doubt! Great thread bump

Dan
    Dan do not read anymore they may corrupt you enough to make you think they are right when in reality the .358 Win is Junk lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

A gun shop near Vacaville, CA did not have any 358 ammo and I inquired. They did not even know what a 358 was. This was before the ammo shortage started. They had all kinds of weird ammo such as the 338 Lapua and such but no 358.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by hicard View Post
    A gun shop near Vacaville, CA did not have any 358 ammo and I inquired. They did not even know what a 358 was. This was before the ammo shortage started. They had all kinds of weird ammo such as the 338 Lapua and such but no 358.
    I doubt I would find any on the shelves here. That is one of the great attractions to the .358.
    As long as .308 brass is available, you always have brass!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Okay, y'all have me interested. Have an old 788 Remington in .308 that might make a cool .358 conversion. Anybody heard of such and/or a recommendation of somebody to do the work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast