Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: What is the best VV choice? N340? AA7 for hot Miha 140grn load flopped.

Boolit Master

What is the best 9mm VV choice? N340? AA7 for hot Miha 140grn load flopped.

I tried to work up a top-end Miha 9mm 140grn FN load with Accurate 7 (AA7), but accuracy was quite poor, and I just rolled back to Silhouette for the time being. I've decided at this point to go ahead and pay up for whichever appropriate Vihtavuori powder.

What would be the recommended power Vihtavuori for top-end 9x19mm 125grn (Miha HP) and 140grn (Miha FN) boolit loads? N330? N340? N350? (I decided to skip 3N37, for reasons I don't precisely recall.)

I'd appreciate any insight. Right now I'm just using Silhouette, but I'd like more fps if I can get it with accuracy, just because.
    Last edited by Dannix; 10-13-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Dannix what caliber are you loading for, barrel length? Some more info would help.
    I use a lot of VVN powder's in various calibers, they burn very cleanly and give higher {actual chronographed loads} velocities than other powders most of the time.
    32ideal

Boolit Master
    9x19mm. Belgium Hi Power and Glock 19. (I just recently got in a Jarvis barrel for the G19.)

Concerning burn rates, I found this and this about VV burn rates, which would seem to imply N350 is the way to go for top-end 9mm loads, but, oddly, VV's load data lists a higher fps 124grn LSWC max load for N340 than for N350.

I'm trying to find information about N350's flash characteristic as well. N340 is apparently know for a low flash signature, which I highly value, but I have yet to find info concerning N350.

I have N320 through N350 plus 3N37 and 3N38, I would try N340 . They all have a low flash, but N350 may have a bit more(I haven't used it 9 to know if it will be all burnt before leaving the barrel). They are all really clean burning, but for some reason I always end up going with AA#5 or WSF for most of my lead loads. My best 9 load is 140gr FP (Magma engineering .38 mold) over AA#5. I'm not pushing them to max though.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, 40Super. There's no real appreciable fps difference between the two for VV's 145 LRN load listing too, so I may indeed go that route. wiljen is using N350 in his Hi Power load though, so I'm hoping he can share why he went that route.

As a side note, I've heard lot of good things concerning WSF for boolits, but when I tried WSF, I found it noticeably more smoky for me (that was with Miha 140grn ACWW), so I started using Silhouette which I had used in j-word 9mm loads. I've got a bunch of Green Dot, originally purchased for 12ga, that I'm going to try for non-top end 9mm loads too though, which apparently has a similar burn rate to WSF, so we'll see how that fares.
    Last edited by Dannix; 10-13-2012 at 10:02 AM.

I can definately agree that the WSF is a little smokey, I shoot outdoors so it's not a big concern usually. If my chrono would work I'd load up some with both VV's and test'em out in my guns(I'm always looking for an excuse to "test").It raining out today,so I may do that and just eyeball the "feel and flash". I actually do have that same 140gr Miha mold, so I have a bunch cast up ,
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Super View Post
    I can definately agree that the WSF is a little smokey, I shoot outdoors so it's not a big concern usually. If my chrono would work I'd load up some with both VV's and test'em out in my guns(I'm always looking for an excuse to "test").It raining out today,so I may do that and just eyeball the "feel and flash". I actually do have that same 140gr Miha mold, so I have a bunch cast up ,
    Hey, if you want to load up some rounds and do some testing, I won't object one bit.

The fact that N340 is known for a low flash makes that an attractive way to lean towards. But maybe N350 is a safer route with regard to pressures, though that's an unknown when VV does not publish pressure levels with the data.