Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anybody like the Browning BLR?

Boolit Grand Master

It's perfectly legitimate to prefer a particular brand or action of firearm and say so. -pricedo

Well, that's somewhat accurate. I'm among friends here so I'll admit that I'm somewhat of a gun nut... our secret, OK? It's true that I prefer some over others but I can't seem to find one I don't like. There are some, like the BLR, that I simply haven't gotten around to owning yet.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In Remembrance
    OK TXGunNut, When you gonna get you one of them mossberg tacticool levers??? lol

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I enjoy looking at them but for some reason every time I pick one up I put it back down. Just as well, too shiny for a hunting rifle anyway.
    I guess the deer near me wear sunglasses, the shine doesn't seem to bother them. I've taken more deer with my Belgium .308 than with any other rifle I've owned.

Truthfully, the only problem I ever had was using a military primer. Hammer fall during cold winter hunt with a lubed gun failed to ignite primer. Deer stayed and watched me while I thumbed the hammer back a second time, and it then went bang. A little deer Darwinism. ;>)

Vendor Sponsor
    I need a hammer spur/extension for Jane's 81 in 257 Rbts. Not sure where to get one.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    I guess the deer near me wear sunglasses, the shine doesn't seem to bother them. I've taken more deer with my Belgium .308 than with any other rifle I've owned.

Truthfully, the only problem I ever had was using a military primer. Hammer fall during cold winter hunt with a lubed gun failed to ignite primer. Deer stayed and watched me while I thumbed the hammer back a second time, and it then went bang. A little deer Darwinism. ;>)
    LOL The deer don't put up the bucks (dollars) for them. I personally don't care for the shiny guns, it is just a personal preference thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    I need a hammer spur/extension for Jane's 81 in 257 Rbts. Not sure where to get one.
    This Uncle Mikes chart on Optics Planet shows a model for the 81 http://www.opticsplanet.com/uncle-mi...tter-grip.html

Also here on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncle-Mikes-...item3f20f933a3

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    OK TXGunNut, When you gonna get you one of them mossberg tacticool levers??? lol

Can't rule that out, sometimes I need a good laugh. OTOH I have a bad weather bolt gun, that would be a good starting place for a rough weather/conditions levergun.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In Remembrance
    LOL I bought a bad weather 22 lr (canoe,fourwheeler,snowmachine, truck gun) I only took it out a couple times, just didn't like the plastic stock. lol
    I too bought a bad weather bolt gun, plastic and stainless, just have not had bad enough weather to take it out in public yet. lol

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    There are two hammers in the blr's. The wider one that I have, I had to file the opening wider to make it fit.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

I too bought a bad weather bolt gun, plastic and stainless, just have not had bad enough weather to take it out in public yet. lol -starmac

My bad weather bolt gun is actually a pretty awesome rifle. I bought it from a friend when his mom & pop gun shop was closing down. It's a Ruger 77 .30-06, stainless and composite. After adding a Timney trigger and a decent scope it became the sleeper in my gun safe. It comes to shoulder better than most rifles, it likes the same load that my Winchester Super Grade likes and I can uncase it under the worst conditions and not worry about how it looks or if it will perform. It goes on every hunting trip these days as a backup/bad weather gun. I can loan it to anyone in camp if they have a rifle failure and not worry about it. It's a better gun than I or most hunters deserve but it seldom sees the light of day.

In Remembrance
    There is nothing at all wrong with mine, it is a left handed savage 116. It just doesn't get to play much as I have other things to play with that is easier on my shoulder. lol

I love my BLR in .308. I've killed several deer, coyotes and foxes with it. It's my go to rifle when I absolutely have kill something.

Boolit Master
    I just picked up a new one in 358 from Buds. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it yet but I sure like the way it feels in my hands.

Report to follow, hopefully soon.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Mold
    I just worked up some 170 gr sillohuette loads for my 308 BLR and had a blast this past weekend!

Really slick and fun to shoot with those lighter cast loads.

Have Fun!

Boolit Grand Master

I look for one in 257 Roberts weekly. They're there but I've never pulled the trigger on buying one. Found one tonight at the right price and it might be time to add one to the collection.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    Well, since I have 2 ea Rem 700's in .35 Whelen, I've decided to sell or trade off my pre-81 BLR in .358 Winchester. It will be on my table at the next gun show in Spokane,Wa. on June 8 and 9.
    UPDATE: I wasn't able to sell or trade my BLR at the last gun show, so I figgered I'd have some more fun with it. I found a load of 22g of 2400, WLR primer, and a heat treated RCBS 35-200FN shot extremely well at 100 yds. 5 shot stats were: ES 10,ave vel 1805,and an SD of 3. Group size was a little over an inch at 100 yds which I thought was great for such a light gun with only a 4X scope.
    I'd still sell or trade this gun off with the scope and mounts for $695.00 if anyone is interested.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234