WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mold For 357 Sig...

Boolit Master
    I use Saeco #924. It is 124 grain SWC with gas check. I use Accurate #9 and sometime #7. I take the barrel out and use it when sizing to get the headspace correct. Headspace on the shoulder just like a rifle. The #9 powder fills the case so that there is no boolit setback. Four inch Sig Or Glock is right at 1400 FPS in my pistols. Accuracy is good for me, but I'm no target shooter. I cast with straight linotype. Your results may vary. Good luck, Rod

Boolit Bub
    it headspaces on the shoulder,i found some diferences in dies,lee dies dont set the shoulder back far enough.hornady dies do.you can grind the shell holder down to get the shoulder back more for the lee dies.here is a pic.of the shoulders
    fist one i used lee 40 s&w die then hornady die
    second,just hornady die
    third lee die,notice the higher shoulder
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mechanic Falls-20121231-00213.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    i use lee tl356-124-2r mold and size them .356.very little flare,lite crimp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mechanic Falls-20121230-00212.jpg  

Boolit Master

Is anyone using blue dot for .357 sig? I seem to have quite a stash of that. It seems to be in the correct speed range and is a little bulky.
    At one with the gun.

I've used it, for the J-words , it worked alright. I prefered AA#9 though but if you have a bunch of BD it will work fine. Try it at night once.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Master

I just gotta ask... Everybody is saying put a light crimp on this cartridge yet it is prone to setback. What sense does that make? Just asking because I am getting geared up for it.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman 125gr HP " Devastator" Sized at .358 AA#7 9.2 grs COL 1.140" with Taper Crimp works great in my P239 Sig. Very accurate and expands great with lead. No problems with setback and grips well in the case mouth which can be a problem with .357 Sig.

The reason for the light crimp is to not go too far with the crimp. Much more than a light(variable/experiment) and neck tension actually decreases, thus more setback. Ideally go as heavy as possible, but stop before it starts to reduce tension. It's hard to put to words. Check with a scale, try pushing on the bullet on a bathroom scale, adjust crimp till you can push to 45lbs at least without the bullet moving, confirm by cycling the rounds in your gun several times , allow slide to slam closed just like firing, setback should be less than .01" after 4 or 5 cycles.
    I also don't run my brass through an expander after resizing, just make sure case mouth is chamfered, it helps neck tension.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123