Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: looked at the ruger

Banned

looked at the ruger

so i got a good look at a ruger all american today.
    price tag at the c.a.l. ranch store said 389.99
    the rotary magazine was all plastic and the spring inside looked like one for a dustcover for an AR.
    the plastic stock seemed fairly well proportioned and along the lines of all thier rifles except a bit hollow.
    the free floating bbl,was rubbing down the left side of the stock so some sanding would have been in order.
    the recoil pad actualy looked to be effective.
    the trigger was just like the ones used on the savage rifle [i didn't get to see if it was adjustable]
    the bolt looked to be one piece and shaped like a howa,with three recoil lugs [ala browning] that locked rather tightly [you could feel them contacting and pulling tightly in thier recesses]
    there was a strange popping noise as the bolt was unlocked like a stress was being released.
    so thier accuracy has to be coming from everything locking up tightly between the bolt face and the chamber adding stiffness in this area.
    the rest of the bolt was just a tube and i couldn't determine how the handle was attatched to the bolt as there is a shroud over the rear of the bolt making it look like like the rear of a howa bolt.
    and the bolt removal piece reminded me of a browning a-bolt also.
    the barell looks just like every other button rifled ruger bbl i have seen.
    the blueing is flat not quite a satin just like a lightly blued and fairly roughly finished.
    they are available in 30-06,270,308 and 243.

if the magazine was made from metal or had a better spring system i think i would want one.
    if i were buying one for a first rifle [or for a kid] i would definatly pop for a couple of new magazines.
    for now i'll keep on looking at the $600.00+ hawkeye rifles [i want a 280 rem]
    it looks like they took a lot of designs from several different companys and figured out how to put them together in the most efficient way possible.
    any way that is my impressions.

Boolit Grand Master

Banned

i thought there was another look see at them somewhere i check through the threads before i posted but didn't go that far back.
    i'd like to hear from those that have had them for a while.

they did seem like they would be easy nuff to carry in the hunting field.

They seem very utility especially at their price point.. SS would make them more so imho.
    Test show very good accuracy from what you read.
    (last I knew they did not make them in south paw,[yet])