WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: rem788/700 barrel thread ?

rem788/700 barrel thread ?

Can anyone here tell me if the two barrels are threaded the same size if chambered the same?

Thanks for any assistance.

brotherdarrell
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Eph. 2:8-10

Kill da wabbitt!!! KILL DA WABBITT!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Don't quote me on this, but I think the 788 is 1" X 20 TPI, while the 700 is definitely 1.062 X 16.
    I want to say that Larry Gibson asked this question once. I know I've seen it before anyway.
    I don't think they interchange.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    different barrel

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Don't quote me on this, but I think the 788 is 1" X 20 TPI, while the 700 is definitely 1.062 X 16.
    I want to say that Larry Gibson asked this question once. I know I've seen it before anyway.
    I don't think they interchange.
    Thank you sir.

I found another source stating 20 tpi for the 788. I know of a take-off remington barrel in .222 that is un-fired. My 788 .222 has a badly eroded throat and won't shoot boolits to save it's life. This gives me something to check on.

brotherdarrell
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Boolit Master

Be carefull when you take it off the recoil lug has 2 Vs that lock to receiver. If you twist them you have messed up a receiver . It should be done by gun/rifle smith that can reset head space. Most were not a screw together gun . Your 'new 222' may be different length. If so it wont fit stock .

I wonder if the Savage barrels could screw on, 0.05 isnt' much, and it would make a nice fit. one might even incorporate the nut....
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Buddy
    700 barrel will not work on a 788 locking lugs are different . compare a 700 bolt to a 788 bolt . 788 has 9 locking lugs

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba15301 View Post
    700 barrel will not work on a 788 locking lugs are different . compare a 700 bolt to a 788 bolt . 788 has 9 locking lugs
    The locking lugs are in the receiver. The 700 and the 788 are quite different, 700 is front locking, 788 is mid/rear locking.

Some folks have said that the 700 barrel CAN carefully be recut and re-threaded to fit on a 788 and even retain the original chamber.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
    The locking lugs are in the receiver. The 700 and the 788 are quite different, 700 is front locking, 788 is mid/rear locking.

Some folks have said that the 700 barrel CAN carefully be recut and re-threaded to fit on a 788 and even retain the original chamber.

Bill
    It can be. The minor diameter of the 1.062 thread is about .986 so you are going to loose about .014 (.007 per side) on the diameter of your threads. Its not ideal, but it would work perfectly with better than 75% thread engagement.
    Good call Willbird!

788's threaded shank is WAY longer than 700's. Most factory 700 barrels, if threaded for a 788, would not have any shoulder to tighten up on once the shank was cut. Best to start with a barrel blank - Adams & Bennett blanks are only $80 and come in either 1:9 or 1:14 in 22 caliber. I could have one of those installed in half the time it took me to mess with a 700 barrel and finally decide it's just not going to work.

Boolit Grand Master

Nobade, I agree with you about using an A&B blank, except that the cost is a lot closer to $100 now. Also, why could the threads not be made longer while rethreading for the 788? Just push the shoulder forward a little while you are turning down the major diameter? I don't quite see why that is a deal breaker, but I might not be understanding you 100%.

All this is from memory here also, but I believe the 788 is 1 1/16 x 20. The shank is at least half again as long as on a 700, and the factory sporter barrels begin tapering almost immediately after the shoulder. By the time you got the shank long enough I don't think you would have enough shoulder to tighten up on. This could be in error though, I would need to look at the two side by side to make sure.

Also I don't remember how the rimless 788 bolt works - does it counterbore into the rear of the barrel like a 700? My 30-30 one does not, but I seem to remember the bolt for rimless cartridges is a different arrangement. If the back of the barrel is flat, then it makes the shank have to be even further forward to get rid of the counterbore.

Boolit Master
    why not just rechamber to 223. that should clean up the throat. maybe recrown at the same time. I doubt the 222 barrel is shot out.

Quote Originally Posted by flounderman View Post
    why not just rechamber to 223. that should clean up the throat. maybe recrown at the same time. I doubt the 222 barrel is shot out.
    If I was to do that I would no longer have a .222

Seriously, though, this rifle is one of two firearms I own that are anything other than 'just a gun', and for personal reasons I want to keep it a triple deuce.

brotherdarrell

Thanks to speerchucker30x3 over at practicalmachinist.com

Rem 700
    Thread 1 1/16" X 16
    Engagment .69 (11 threads)

Additional information from this site
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...&highlight=TPI

and Thanks to jkpq45 on this site
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9CV...STA/edit?pli=1
    Last edited by Artful; 10-25-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Boolit Master

788 barrel shank

Artful; thanks for posting this... I have wondered what the relief cut was about. I'm in the process of rebarrelling a 788 and think I'll post another question.

I have uploaded all of my drawings to Flickr because so many people were having trouble downloading and saving them from photobook. They are posted on the Accurate Reloading forum and you may repost or download them if you wish.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...8671075902/p/1

Great Link - thanks for posting it here, and welcome to the cast boolit family!
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by flounderman View Post
    Plus one for this idea! OR take advantage of that long .222 neck and seat those bullets as far out as you can. Worth a shot -pun intended. Best, Thomas.