WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: 30 Herrett questions

Boolit Master

30 Herrett questions

I own both a (Texas Contenders) 23 inch 30 herrett and a T/C 10" pistol barrel. I have often wanted to shoot the longer cast boolits in both but prefer to keep the boolit from intruding into the powder space, particularly gas checked boolits.

Is there anybody here on the forum who could lengthen the chambers to support a lengthened case neck? I probably would need my sizing die also opened.

Seating the boolits out is not an option as I want to hunt with it and don't want lube grooves exposed.

I thought about just trying the longer case necks in the standard chamber but afraid that I will get a "pinch" from not enough clearance to hold the boolit and case neck in a portion of the chamber not designed for same. Obviously, that would result in high (possibly excessively high) pressures.

What are your thoughts?

Oh, what is the factory twist and will it accomodate (stabilize) the longer boolits enough to shoot accurately(180 grain)?
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master
    Dennis Belm specializes in Contender work and knows a lot about the wierdness of the .30 Herrett.
    I have one that has a 3/4" long unrifled throat. I think it might be better off as a 30-30.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

You would have to form brass out of FL 30/30 and shorten PLUS neck turn the brass. It would be cheaper to get a 30/30 barrel.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I've thought about this too, for my own 10" barrel. The point of the exercise is to have reduced powder space (vs. the .30-30) to burn faster powders more effectively, just as the ASSRA shooters are doing for modern Schuetzen.

A .30-30 reamer could create the long neck, but the SAAMI throat for .30-30 isn't the best for cast. So a throating reamer would also be needed.

Forming the brass is the least of the problems.

But it's a back-burner for me, as I have to use a straight-wall case here in Ohio.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    You would have to form brass out of FL 30/30 and shorten PLUS neck turn the brass. It would be cheaper to get a 30/30 barrel.
    You have to shorten anyway to form 30 Herrett from 30-30 brass and neck turning is no big deal, do it with all my more accurate rifles.(you only have to do it once) The point of a 30 Herrett length cartridge is to have a smaller, more efficient combustion chamber more suitable to the 10 inch barrel.

The purpose of the lengthened neck is, as stated in the OP is to have the shank of a longer cast boolit encased in the neck and not exposed either to the heat of the initial combustion in the cartridge case or have exposed lube grooves extend past the protection of the cartridge neck. Also, to not have to worry about an unsupported gas check dislodging into the combustion chamber of the case and possibly being blown out into the barrel and lodging in same.

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

I think Bellm does a long neck version of both Herrett cartridges. Just a 30-30 case run into a Herrett die with no trimming. I'd give him a shout and see what he can do for you.

Using a normal 30 cal. necker on that chamber would also do what you want but the diameter is way too big. 30-30 has much thinner brass than normal 30 cal. rifle rounds, so you would need a special smaller diameter necker. Best to ask Bellm since he has already had those tools made up.

This is the link:
    http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/

Boolit Master
    Thanks, Nobade,
    I'll check with him.
    vern