WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: odd diameter round balls?

Boolit Master

odd diameter round balls?

I am in the process of getting a project together. I need a round ball in the .420-.425 diameter range for the project. Ptching thickness can adjust for whatever size I can find reasonably. I found a .424 2 cavity round ball mold on evilbay but the price is quite high. Since I'd be happy with a single cavity mold, is there a source for such oddities at a fairly frugal price? Just figured I'd use the brain trust here to save a little time and energy.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Jeff Tanner will make you a custom mold for a lot less than you'd pay for an OTC Lyman mold. Google him for his website. I ordered a .590 from him a while back, and though he's located in the UK, I received it within a week. Cost was well under $30 counting shipping. No handles but Lyman handles fit it fine.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master
    Edd,
    I have an Ohaus single cavity .424 round ball mould, in the original Ohaus box. I have never used it.
    I'll send it to you in a small flat rate box for $30.
    Let me know if you want it.

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

I should have a .424 Lyman or Ideal rattling around somewhere if you need to borrow it for a while for testing.
    Rick

Boolit Master

Thank you gentlemen. I knew I could count on you. If my project pans out, I'll tell you all about it in the not too distant future. We old retired guys have time to pursue crazy ideas and I am doing it.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

tanner molds cost over $40 when i ordered one a month or two ago.I didn't end up caring for its no sprue plate set up and small size though it was very well made.

Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    Edd,
    I have an Ohaus single cavity .424 round ball mould, in the original Ohaus box. I have never used it.
    I'll send it to you in a small flat rate box for $30.
    Let me know if you want it.
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
    I should have a .424 Lyman or Ideal rattling around somewhere if you need to borrow it for a while for testing.
    And this gentlemen, is what makes this forum such a great place!!!!!
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.