Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Duplexing shotshells question??

Boolit Master

Duplexing shotshells question??

Looking for info on duplexing BP/smokeless in shotgun shells. Local state land is Archery/BP (ML or cartridge) only and I'd like to hunt there but would rather not shoot straight BP in my 870. Any suggestions or insight? Thought this would be a better place to post this question than ML or shotgun. Thanks, 10 ga

X
    Last edited by 10 ga; 10-09-2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: cohesion
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 ga View Post
    Looking for info on duplexing BP/smokeless in shotgun shells. Local state land is Archery/BP (ML or cartridge) only and I'd like to hunt there but would rather not shoot straight BP in my 870. Any suggestions or insight? Thought this would be a better place to post this question than ML or shotgun. Thanks, 10 ga

X
    I have not heard of anyone doing this. I suspect that a 209 primer will light off blackpowder quite well. 209s are the blowtorches of primers.

I would also check to see if your state considers a modern gun with a blackpowder load to be a blackpowder shotgun. Inlines were not accepted in many states for quite a while for the reason that they are quite modern guns. In Missouri it took a long time until the state allowed inlines in BP season. So I would look into that a bit.

as another thought...your 870 is a natural for bp shells as the barrel can be taken off lickety split for a cleaning when it gets fouled enough to ruin your patterns. i would experiment with pure bp loads to see when this deteriouration of pattern occures before doing the duplex thing. i occasionally duple rifle rounds but have never done so with a shotgun.

another thought occurs is what will you be shooting...birds or animals?...shot or slugs?

Boolit Master
    It's a pretty nice place to hunt and cover pretty thick overall. Be shooting shot only. Small game and turkey hunting. Mostly I shoot #5 at game and #8 pretty much for birds.

Not worried so much about the barrel but gas blowback and leakage back into the action etc... but that should be pretty minimal or none.

Thanks. 10

x
    Last edited by 10 ga; 10-15-2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: completeness
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

I'm with excess650 on this one - no need whatsoever to duplex load shotshells. I too load my shells just like I do my muzzleloader - powder, hard card wad, lubed cushion wad, shot, but instead of an over shot wad I just crimp the shells. I pick them up on the skeet range, use once, and throw them away.

I still have a bunch of Pyrodex and the 870 is the only thing I'll use it in, because it's so easy to clean and I don't worry about it like I do a rifle barrel.

Oh, don't use modern plastic wads with BP or pyro. They melt and come out of the barrel using acetone looking like shed snake skin.

Boolit Master

Plaastic wads work fine, just soak the barrel a bit with warm soapy water and push it out with a spiral Tornado brush. Been doing it for 8 years. Easier to get a tight pattern with plastic wads compared to flat felt wads. No need to lube anything either, won't make any difference.