MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: 22 barrel liner

22 barrel liner

Just got through with my first re-lining of a 22 rim fire barrel. It was on a Savage model 1914. First off, I have to say hats off to the folks at Brownells!! The instructions they send with the barrel liner, at no charge, is worth it's weight in .....!! The only thing I can caution on if somebody is going to try one. When you start drilling at the chamber end, pay attention, when you start, to the extractor cut in the existing barrel. If you have a large cut out, watch the bit and use a LOT of oil to keep from chipping the drill bit. Other than that, take your time and it is pretty straight forward from there. I will post some pics when I get everything blued.

Rich

Boolit Grand Master
    You wouldn't happen to have a spare bolt on hand do you????
    I have a Savage 1914 that is in better than good condition.
    When I got it, it had no bolt. Got a bolt that was "rebuilt". But it didn't function well.

Check with the following for the bolt:

Jack First Gun Parts out of South Dakota

Dick Williams Gun Shop

Numrich lists the parts but does not have any. There are a couple of other Savage rifles that use some similar parts. I am not sure but a model 29 looks similar in the exploded view. Please keep in touch, I will do the same. I need a butt stock and the an original butt plate. Mine looks like it was left out in the barn for about 50 years. Mine functions but some of the parts are WORN out!! What can I expect for a 90 year old gun!!

Rich

Boolit Buddy
    glad to hear it went well ive had nothing but good to great service from brownells . let us know how it shoots too

Boolit Master
    Over the years i have installed many 22 barrel liners. Drilling the hole thru the barrel for the liner is much easier with a lathe. The gluing with the epoxy works very well.

On one rifle, the gun has been hot blued twice without any effect on the glue.

The instructions in the PDF file from Brownells are very good and give a lot of detail on the process to follow. The instructions can be down loaded from Brownells.

Boolit Grand Master

I do liners pretty often and have used Brownell's bits with my own extensions for a good number of years. I sharpen my bits between jobs and my current main bit has 30 jobs on it so far with many more to come. I'll post a current job that was a little different.

Banned

KCSO, that project was really neat, quite a creative solution.

RMCC, I used Acra-Glas also, per Brownell's instructions (to the letter). John Taylor suggested red Loctite, but I work a lot with all varieties of the stuff for fasteners and the "working time" isn't much, you pretty much get one shot to get it right. Being new to this, I felt I needed more fudge factor and the epoxy gave me that. I also had the luxury of time with my project.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...5&d=1293080763

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...4&d=1293080732

I ordered the liner from TJ's upon the recommendation of several people here, and as long as he's in business he gets all of mine from now on. A+ service and product.

Gear