Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Savage 222/20Ga combo, trigger????

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Savage 222/20Ga combo, trigger????

I bought one of these from a mate who was on the ropes a few years ago, but I have never fired it until today. In spite of the terrible trigger, the combo got pretty reasonable groups (I was just firing off the 40odd rounds with Jacketed bullets that came with it). I don't think it has been used much as it is so tight to open and close it is a pita. It feels like a new gun.

No doubt the gun will loosen up and the trigger will settle down a bit with use ( I will run a few boxes of shotshells and a couple hundred reloads with bulk jacketed bullets through it). I expect the trigger, etc will improve marginally, but I am pretty sure it will need a bit of a tune up to become an effective fox gun, which is what I have planned for it.

Any clues on this? I did a search and didn't come up with much.

Yeah! I know, I forgot the pics! I'll see what I can organise tomorrow!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master

The triggers can be tuned but you need slave pins and a lot of patience to take the darn things apart. I have gotten a crisp under 4 pound pull on thes with a little work. The last one I tested managed 1 1/2" at 100 yards with Remington factory ammo an that's good enough for fox or coyote to 200 + yards. There were popular here for a while as calling guns as a shotgun with BB's was a good close range load for a running dog. Unfortunatly since they have been discontinued they are being collected rather than shot and the price is way up there.

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    The triggers can be tuned but you need slave pins and a lot of patience to take the darn things apart. I have gotten a crisp under 4 pound pull on thes with a little work. The last one I tested managed 1 1/2" at 100 yards with Remington factory ammo an that's good enough for fox or coyote to 200 + yards. There were popular here for a while as calling guns as a shotgun with BB's was a good close range load for a running dog. Unfortunatly since they have been discontinued they are being collected rather than shot and the price is way up there.
    I will have to carefully pull the stock off and have a look see. If i could end up with a 4-5 lb pull, it would make an excellent fox whistling outfit with Hornet level loads and heavy shot under that. Got the potential to be a very useful combination

The new ones look like sin don't they? Maybe the boss at Savage told the R&D guys, "Boys get out there and design me a plug ugly combo that's gonna make people rush out and buy something else!" lol

I got a lot of 20Ga slugs in the deal when I bought it, so it could be a very effective fox calling rifle and if a deer grazed into view, wellllllll! Slug time!

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    i love those older savage's, i think they were model 24's. they were called turkey rifles back when they were sold. but the 222 is becoming my new favorite cartidge, those triggers are kinda stiff, but can be made better. i'm sure you'll enjoy that combo!

I had a look on Savage24.com, picked up a few clues there.

Love Life
    I have had one for years. The trigger has not gotten better, but it has smoothed up in the opening/closing department. I will have to keep an eye on this thread.

Boolit Master

My late gunsmith buddy refined the trigger in my M24. .22LR/20gg.
    Made a target rifle out of it----until the barrell got hot.
    It was a small game hunter without peer.
    It is a royal headache to get to the innards to adjust them. It's not for the clumsy nor the impatient.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

My gunsmith worked mine over to about 2 lb trigger like breaking glass - was my favorite wood walker - 22lr/20ga - put a peep sight on it - I had a friend with the older style with selector on the side instead of on the hammer and the 22LR barrel was soldered full length of shotgun tube - shot like a target rifle. I'm still looking for a 30-30 or 357 mag over 20ga for a reasonable price. Wish me luck.

A 30/30 or 357 combo would be excellent. Perhaps re-chamber the 357 Mag to 357Maximum??

Boolit Master

I have a 24 V (222 over 20 Gauge) I bought used and it has a cracked butt stock, usable, but cracked. I have shot the 222 very little and the 20 Gauge not at all.

Bought a new (replacement) one form Gun Parts and have yet to fit it. It is a much nicer piece of wood than the factory original.

Maybe this winter I will get roundtoit.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    A 30/30 or 357 combo would be excellent. Perhaps re-chamber the 357 Mag to 357Maximum??
    The 357 Max rechamber has been done and is the reason that that caliber is almost unobtanium here.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze