Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: 45 acp still learning

Boolit Bub

45 acp still learning

Am still learning to load for 45 acp. I am using 200 lead bullets sized to .451. Cases will not chamber in a 1911. What up? thanks wayne h

Moderator Emeritus

It depends on which 200 grain bullet you're using and how you seat them. If it's a bullet with a shoulder, then the shoulder may be hitting the leade of the chamber and preventing the slide from coming all the way forward and locking up, though I'm assuming you're talking about lockup, and not feeding from the magazine. If that's the case, some barrels have short leades, which is where the chamber tapers to the rifling. Some call it the throat of the chamber.

If the problem is feeding, then it's something else, such as OAL, bullet shape, feedramp, chamber mouth, etc. More information will help with solving the problem.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Banned

if feeding is the issue 90+% of the time it's the magazine.
    then possibly an oal issue second.
    if it's chambering i'd look at the shoulder sticking out of the case.
    you might have to seat that flush and give the case mouth a bump in a roll crimp die.
    i have one i have to do this for, and one i just have to seat flush.

Boolit Bub

45 acp still learning

am using a semi wad cutter and feeding from mag is great. I am referring to lock up. wayne h

Boolit Grand Master
    When this has happened to me, it's almost always a seating depth problem. Try making up a dummy round and progressively seating the boolit deeper until it chambers.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Banned

Get us a picture of the rounds that are having a problem.

Sometimes it can be the crimp that does this. What does your crimp measure?

There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    When this has happened to me, it's almost always a seating depth problem. Try making up a dummy round and progressively seating the boolit deeper until it chambers.
    +1 here. If your pistol chambers other cartriges this is likely a good solution.

Do your empty cases chamber after sizing/decapping and running empty through your crimp die? Have you loaded any other boolits with these dies and had success chambering them? If not look at your dies as a source.

Good luck with this one. I think there is enough wisdom on this site to solve this issue.

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Banned

like drdoctor said first try a crimped case without a bullet to determine if its your crimp then try seating your bullets a bit deaper. I dont have a single 45acp that wont chamber 452s perfectly after getting those two areas taken care of. Some 45s have real shallow throats and need bullets seated pretty deap. 45 chamber dimentions are cut for ball ammo and it has a much great taper then most other bullets and some swcs and even some cast round nosed bullets dont have near as much taper to them. Also if your feed ramp isnt polished even a softer cast bullet can drag on it enough to slow down the slide return velocity and keep your rounds from chambering. Polish everything up. especially if you want to run soft cast bullets in one.

Boolit Master

Its the seating depth and/or the crimp as has been stated.

With the 68 HG wadcutters at .452 dia., I seat them with only a fingernail's thickness above the case mouth. As for the taper crimp, I keep increasing it slightly until it consistently passes the check guage...which is not much more than straightening out the bell.

Using the above, and Wilson mags, the rounds work great in all of my 1911s (Colt, Springfield and Les Baer).
    Jon

Boolit Bub

45 acp still learning

Guys---good news my problem was a combination of seating depth and the crimp.
    I knew you guys would come thru and you did. These things now fit slicker than a whistle. Thanks. wayne h

Boolit Master

Anytime I'm setting up for a run of 45's with a different boolit, I field strip the pistol and use the barrel to check seating depth and crimp settings. Drop a round in and make sure it stays flush with the barrel hood (talking 1911's here).
    Last edited by Alchemist; 10-13-2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold