Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A jig I made to cut blackout cases quickly and easily

A jig I made to cut blackout cases quickly and easily

We finally have a website
    http://www.zepprecisionmachines.com/index.html

Sorry for the short video, I am not smart phone upload savvy...
    Notice the ejection of the cut case, If you put this at the end of a bench with a bucket below it does a good job of catching them.

No more crooked guessed cuts, you just feed it from the left and chop, then the case gets ejected out of the way. The cuts are very consistent making finished trimming a breeze.
    Last edited by vonzep; 01-19-2015 at 08:32 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Clever.
    So, how did you set the length? spring loaded ball in the rim groove?
    Nice work!
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 10-07-2012 at 08:13 AM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Notice the ejection of the cut case
    I'll say! Need some more details and photos of your holder.

YEAH, What Jmorris said!!!

Boolit Buddy
    nice work

ive seen some guys over at ar15 made a special die to trim with there dillon trimmers

Boolit Master

Very nice.

Bliksem
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Unfortunately I am down to using my droid as the laptop is off with the kids. Posting pics is difficult. The pics are on 300blktalk but it is an ad so I dont want to post it here. Basically it is a spring loaded ball bearing that grips the rim to locate the case and then eject it if there is additional pressure to the case base. I can do about 20 cases a minute. My buddy is doing about 30 a minute but he's a beast. I know there are other cases formed from shortened parent cases and as long as they are not rimmed bigger then the outer diameter of the case the idea would work.

Boolit Buddy
    I made a similar jig to cut 50 Alaskan down to 50 Danish for my Rolling block except I have to pull the cases out due to the rim. Mine was wood because I only need to do 50 cases. Really liked the idea of it spitting the case out. Great design.

-yarro

In Remembrance
    I'll be one to chime in on that little tool, I own one and you know what the dang thing is a blessing for me. I can get them out at a rate of 20min and that isn't even going all out on it either. When I use it I have a large pile kinda messing me up and getting in the way of things in short order. Talk about something that's so flippin easy to use and so basic in design that little thinga-ma-jig is it.

So far I've done at least 10K with it and I don't see it wearing out any too soon, he makes it so you have some adjustment for length by using slots where the mounting screws are so that's one real nice perk for me. I can't really take pictures of it right now till I get caught up on my work but take my word on this, it's an amazing little jig that once you use it you'll wonder how you can live without it type of a thing.

EDIT: I think for cutting down brass for the 300 the only thing I would do would be to order another one for that just in case moment for a back-up.
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 10-07-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Banned

Talking pics

Quote Originally Posted by vonzep View Post
    Unfortunately I am down to using my droid as the laptop is off with the kids. Posting pics is difficult. The pics are on 300blktalk but it is an ad so I dont want to post it here. Basically it is a spring loaded ball bearing that grips the rim to locate the case and then eject it if there is additional pressure to the case base. I can do about 20 cases a minute. My buddy is doing about 30 a minute but he's a beast. I know there are other cases formed from shortened parent cases and as long as they are not rimmed bigger then the outer diameter of the case the idea would work.
    I use my droid 100% of the time, found an easy way for pics.

Download the photobucket app
    Upload pics to the app (easy, takes em from your gallery)
    Tap on uploaded photo and tap the Img link (copies)
    Paste the link here in a reply

WA-LA photo/video uploaded easy! (same steps for video)

Thanks mag, my biggest problem is where I touch is never where the screen accepts it. And it wont let me scroll through to edit.

Some early versions.

I made the first one of these for a friend who was using a wood block. I watched him mess around for a few minutes and whipped one of these up for him. He told someone and they told someone....

Boolit Master
    Alright! Where do I send the check? PM me and I will have paypal coming your way if it doesn't cost me an arm, or a leg.

Banned

How much are these things? My grandfather has a 300 BLK and has a jerry rigged setup on a chop saw using elmers wood glue and some scrap plywood.

Boolit Buddy
    Do you keep the saw running for the entire time or do you stop and start for each case.....speedy trimming with that exposed blade looks a little tricky......

Remember you are looking from the side with no depth perception, the angle makes it look worse too. Also notice the fingers are kept perpendicular to the jig. You have about 2-3" clearance from your finger at the closest.

If anyone is worried, just turn the saw of between cuts.
    Last edited by vonzep; 10-07-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Yes I know its upside down. I have no idea why, its right on my end . Its a droid... I expect it to be screwy. As you can see a little better your fingers are nowhere near the blade.
    Last edited by vonzep; 10-08-2012 at 04:09 AM.

The video is fine just need better photos of the detent.

In Remembrance
    HEY!!! vonzep, inquiring minds want to know how much your willing to part with the jig for. Talk about suspense SHEESH!!!
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

I dont want this to become an ad. Thats why I dont want to post the link etc. Pm me if you want one.

I dont have pics of the ball bearing and spring set up. It is a simple piece but youve got to all the geometry right.

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    Pm sent.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast