Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: hornady case lube

Boolit Master

hornady case lube

is the hornady unique the same as imperial ? it is a lot cheaper.

I have never had a problem with unique, I use both and no problems. I don't think they are the same. The Hornady one shot spray I do not like.

As I was told when I was a child; your elders will make you smarter if you listen. Then when you are older your elders will teach you WISDOM.
    300winmag

Banned

They are not the same. I like and use Unique lube.

Moderator Emeritus
    Different lubes, however Hornady Unique is at least as good as Imperial at a fraction of the cost.

It is my "go to" case lube.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

I use hornady unique ,I try usen other kind of lubes and found it works the best and also it was a gunsmith that got me on it also after I got a case stuck in my sizen die and deprimer. It smell like mink oil also and I look at what it is use for and compare it to mink oil and have all the same use also for how it looks.i wonder if it is about the same thing at times.I ask the gunsmith about if it is mink oil he thinks they add some thing to unique.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    I have never had a problem with unique, I use both and no problems. I don't think they are the same. The Hornady one shot spray I do not like.

Same here. I really like the Hornady Unique case lube. I also really like the Imperial Sizing Wax. One may work better on one type of case, and the other might work best on another. You just have to try them both to see which one works the best for you.

I've never found the Hornady One Shot case lube to work very well on anything I've tried.

Dave
    Psalm 18: 28-49
    Psalm 144: 1-8

Boolit Master

How much ammo do you have to reload to use up a can of Imperial sizing wax? I've reloaded buckets of .223, .30-30, and more and while I've made a deep dent in it, it's far from done.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

In Remembrance

Imperial sizing lube for case forming, Dillion pump spray lube for all other case lubing - never did like Hornady spray lubes.Robert

Boolit Master
    thanks
    I still have over 1/2 of the imperil but saw the hornady stuff. I like most of their products.
    saw amazon has the tub for $3.59 so was asking.

Boolit Master

For cases that don't really need it but it makes it that much more pleasant, mix some water based lube like RCBS case lube and some isopropyl alcohol in a small spray bottle. Dump brass in a box, spritz once or twice, shakey -shakey, and load as normal. Straight wall stuff like .45 and .38 goes from being easy enough to near effortless. If you are running a progressive it can help ease up the operation. Understand that a little goes a long way. You are just trying to leave a thin film. I has harassed I would contaminate the powder. Hasn't happened yet and the key is the thin film and not running goop.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I like the Hornaday One Shot after I finally learned how to use it properly. My problem and many others I suspect that have had problems is that the way it's applied. I started off giving my brass a quick once over and had trouble all the time with stuck cases. I then decided to use a large plastic serving tray purchased from the dollar store and coated the cases more evenly with more spray. The cases were allowed to dry before sizing and it was a new experience, all the cases were very easy to size. Take care David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    Different lubes, however Hornady Unique is at least as good as Imperial at a fraction of the cost.

It is my "go to" case lube.
    Ditto.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Unique case lube is mink oil, the oil for the Hornady / Pacific lube felt pads was caster oil.

Boolit Buddy
    I think it's impossible to use up a tin of imperial.

Quote Originally Posted by kfarm View Post
    I think it's impossible to use up a tin of imperial.
    No, it's not. I'm on my second, but I expect it to outlast me.

Boolit Buddy
    When I used to shoot 223, I used a great deal of Imperial for sizing.
    Off topic, but I now use the Lee, white creamy stuff. Works well
    and is water soluble, i. e, easy to wipe off.
    I don't need more work.
    bill boy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    I like the Hornaday One Shot after I finally learned how to use it properly. My problem and many others I suspect that have had problems is that the way it's applied. I started off giving my brass a quick once over and had trouble all the time with stuck cases. I then decided to use a large plastic serving tray purchased from the dollar store and coated the cases more evenly with more spray. The cases were allowed to dry before sizing and it was a new experience, all the cases were very easy to size. Take care David
    This. I had a lot of trouble also, i used too little and didnt dry.

now i apply enough to completely coat the cases, and dry with a heat gun. Now they glide soooooo well its day and night.

Boolit Master
    tried to size some today, they were really sticky and sized bad.
    So you have to coat, dry, and size right away. The next day they are all sticky.

I don't know why.

Frosted Boolits

Yep, Unique is good stuff and works well on my leather boots too. The One Shot spray is good stuff too. I prefer that for pistol cases being used on progressive machines. Just makes the sizing operation so much easier, even if using carbide dies.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows