Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Ceiner Conversion .22

Ceiner Conversion .22

I finished a project last mont mating a Ceiner .22 Conversion for the M1911 with an essex frame and a parts kit and a few parts bought on the internet, and here it is:

Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Let us know of any malfunctions. I'm sure it will take some time to break in, but wondered how well they work.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

The Ciener conversions work great if they are run wet (lots of oil) with tuned springs.

In some of them it is helpful to strengthen up the spring by adding a few more coils from another spring (ball point pen, etc.) to give it a bit more oomph when closing the slide and ensure more reliable function.

I went through this earlier today when tuning a Commander-length Ciener kit to work with a Rock Island Armory frame I had it mounted on.

The trick is to add more spring (in 1/2 inch increments) until the slide travels forward with enough force to feeds correctly, and still fires and ejects reliably. Once I had done that it ran 300 rounds without a hitch.

The full velocity (1200 fps etc.) ammo like CCI Blazer etc worked best.

Boolit Master

I have a Ceiner std fix sight model and function and accuracy are very good. It will run with std velocity ammo just fine on my MilSpec frame as I have an 18 lb. hammer spring( stock is 23 lb.). The thing a lot of people forget is the hammer spring is the key to function with the .22 conversions. Cocking that hammer sucks the recoil energy and travel from the slide. Shorten the travel to the rear and you loose slide velocity and energy to eject and chamber a round.
    Last edited by fecmech; 10-08-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    My Ciener conversion works well. Just don't expect any support from Jonathan Arthur Ciener. None. Nada. Zip. No repair parts, no reply to e-mails, no phone calls, etc. IIRC, he was recently indicted for fraud. The guy is basically a crook, which is certainly unfortunate for all of us who have purchased his products. Kind of reminds me of the DPMS .22 LR AR upper I bought several years ago in that regard.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I've had one of his 1911 kits for about 10 years - luckily I've had no problems.
    I keep looking for a used HiPower kit, must not be very many out there !!!
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    I've got one of the kits as well. I refused to deal with Seiner himself, and bought the kit used for about the price of a new one, but I got what I wanted, and got it right away.

Mine has run well, but I do need to get out and shoot it some more...
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    I've got one of the kits as well. I refused to deal with Seiner himself, and bought the kit used for about the price of a new one, but I got what I wanted, and got it right away.

Mine has run well, but I do need to get out and shoot it some more...
    My oldest son has appropriated mine, along with the 1927 Systema Colt frame that it's mounted on.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

About 2 years ago I was looking for a 22 conversion kit and decided to shy away from Ciener's conversion due to the very bad reports on customer service. I went with Advantage Arms conversion kit and could not be happier. Unlike the Ciener kit, the Advantage arms kit will lock the slide back on the last round. Accuracy is as good as my Ruger Mark 11 bull barrel pistol.
    Advantage arms, like Ceiner reccommends that you use high velocith CCI or Remington golden bullets for best function. I have used hundreds of cheaper Federal value packs and had good reliabilty with ammo costing 15-17 bucks per 500 rounds.
    Advantage Arms has a web site and I would reccommend you give them consideration of you are wanting a reliable 22 conversation kit. I believe they also make conversion kit for other firearms then just 1911's.

Boolit Master
    Ciener had over a hundred fraud claims, mostly failure to deliver or communicate with customers. Actually told a few who called that by calling they were moved to the bottom of the list for bothering him. Unfortunately, one of them was a policeman. Not a good business move.
    They had him in the county jail for a while. Supposedly, he took a brush up class in business ethics and customer relations and is catching up. Part of the plea deal, supposedly, was that he not take orders until he got caught up on deliveries.

The whole story was posted on a forum, and had links to the police report and newspaper stories.

There are two many options to gamble these days. Kimber makes a very nice unit.

Boolit Master

My problem with Ciener is the additional charges if you need a part. If you look at the order form, for a $10.00 part, you pay $25.00 additional on shipping and small order charges. I've had a Commander conversion that I first had on a Colt frame, and about 10 years ago I put it on a Caspian Commander frame. The product is excellent, fun to shoot. As noted above, unless you use heavier springs, you do need to use hi-power .22 in it. Standard load .22 will not function correctly.
    I had seen where Ciener had been in some kind of trouble, but didn't know the details until now.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Super Moderator

If you want a good .22 conversion, take a look at the Marvel units. I have never owned a Ciener and never will. My Marvel conversion will outshoot most any 22 pistol out there, short of Olympic grade match pistols. Yeah...it's a bit more spendy, but worth every penny in my book.

Ceiner .22 Conversion Kit

I got my Ceiner about ten years ago before he went "rouge". Mine shoots very well, but I got tired of swapping out my .45 to .22 and back again. Getting a second M1911 frame was cheaper than buying a dedicated .22 Semi Auto of any make or model.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!