PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 475 Linebaugh Ruger #1

Boolit Mold
    I bought a .475L #1 when they originally came out. I traded out the original rings for a set of low 30mm rings. I put on an Ultradot 30mm red dot sight. I had a custom 420 grain mold made up with a nose length to accommodate a .475 revolver. I am thinking of having another mold made up with a longer nose to take advantage of the longer chamber on these rifles. My goal is to have a 440 grain load at 1650 fps. As I understand it , these rifles have long bore lengths. I have yet to do a bore cast and I'm casting some soft lead bullets to run into the chamber to see the length.
    I'm curious to see if anyone has had experience with longer nose bullets.

Have you got 440s running fast?

I am thinking about shooting heavies in mine, getting accurate to make up a mold. A heavy bullet .350" in the case with either tapered groove design or a bit of bore ride. By heavy I am thinking 500-550.

A bullet that weight may perform better with 4198 than 4227.

Boolit Buddy

I've shot the Accurate 450 grain (with my alloy it's 440 grains). With a dental wax wad over 13.5 grains of weighed Alliant Steel shotgun powder, it clocks 1140 fps in my 22" barrel. You might make 1600 fps with H110 or Lil'Gun, but the recoil would kick the tobacco right out of your mouth.
    Last edited by Bill*B; 06-23-2019 at 01:18 AM.

Thanks for that, mine has a 26" mtu barrel so its pretty heavy but you still have a point 1600fps with heavy still wont be comfortable, might still do it with a few liadd just to see how well the weight tames it.

Boolit Buddy

Why not? Exploring is always fun. Be safe - and enjoy! Let us know what you find.

Boolit Mold
    I ordered the Accurate 48-435PG. I also ordered the 38-250BG for my .38-55. They are nice looking molds. My initial examination of the chamber on the Ruger #1 indicated a long freebore that would accommodate a long bullet nose. I intended to make a bore casting but my casting material seems to have gone into hiding. I may have to order more. I have to attend to a medical issue that is putting a crimp in all my plans. Hopefully I'll get back to my load development.

Boolit Buddy

That bullet looks like a thumper! I hope that your medical problem clears up quickly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123