RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingPBcastcoLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 475 Linebaugh Ruger #1

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan in GA View Post
    I have not seen another one. I glanced at this one for most of this year,...just did not know what it was and as I said, 'assumed' it was about a 3" shell for Africa! D'oh!
    Good point maybe I have seen one and didn't know it. I guess from now on I'll check all the #1's I run across just to be sure.

Boolit Master
    Here you go for a link to a 475 Linebaugh, the bottom of the page.

http://www.classicsportingarms.com/rugers-for-sale/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    Here you go for a link to a 475 Linebaugh, the bottom of the page.

http://www.classicsportingarms.com/rugers-for-sale/
    Tempting but I think I'll hold out for a blued one.

Boolit Master
    He says he has a used one as well, but no indication if it is blued or stainless, call him and see what it is.

Boolit Buddy
    It is most likely a BLUE/WALNUT. The text is ABOVE the picture IF there is a picture. The stainless rifle shown is linked to the text above it.

Boolit Buddy
    Might be silly, but thought about wether or not I want to put jacketed bullets down this new bore or just lead and/or paper patched. I've located a few boxes of Hornady 475 Ammo and will be back in that shop this week. I'm not real find if Hornady brass after some poor experience with their 17HH ammo and substandard cases.
    What think?

Boolit Buddy
    I would like to know if you guys shooting Ruger #1 in 475 Linebaugh are casting plain base or gas check boolits?

Boolit Buddy

I've got molds for both, can't tell any difference. Now, I never drive them over 1200 fps.

Boolit Master
    I have one that I had to have, was a gun broker gem supposed to be an unfired safe queen but the safe was apparently not nice to it! there was a couple small dings in the wood and a shiny scratch in the receiver bluing ruger rings where missing so I had to source a set I mounted a leupold gloss vxiii 1.5-5x2 and put a custom made leather sling with ammo loops on it... very classy companion to my super redhawk 480... 2 years later still havent shot it.

Boolit Buddy
    What is it when we have nice rifles and go so long without shooting them? I think it may be a BIG RED FLAG when we buy a gun, have it for a while, and then sell or trade it off without having shot it! I've done that a couple of times in the last few years! ��
    I'm going to make a 'rule to self' to SHOOT a gun if I buy it! HOWEVER, I did just sell a 1968 rifle (Marlin 336RC 35 Rem) that still had the stickers on it that it came with when new (Walnut foil sticker on forearm and inventory sticker on buttplate). I know of 7 rounds that had been supposedly shot through it to check factory open sights. It appeared as new though! I sold it without having fired a round through it because I also bought a twin to it (1979 production) that had a few scratches in the surface varnish and felt more comfortable shooting/using IT than the safe queen 1968.
    This 475LB Ruger #1S lies in limbo hiding in my safe. I did buy 10 boxes of Hornady 475LB 400gr ammo for $12.50/box on clearance the other day(Academy Sports). What a FIND for me as the stuff normally goes for $36+\box!!! (Right place-right time!!!)

PS-mine doesn't have a mark on it. As is from the LGS..... Which is why I considered putting it on auction or leaving it in the BACK of the safe for one day when Ruger single shots really become 'unobtainable' (hope not).
    Last edited by Alan in GA; 11-26-2015 at 09:13 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan in GA View Post
    Might be silly, but thought about wether or not I want to put jacketed bullets down this new bore or just lead and/or paper patched. I've located a few boxes of Hornady 475 Ammo and will be back in that shop this week. I'm not real find if Hornady brass after some poor experience with their 17HH ammo and substandard cases.
    What think?
    I have ONLY Hornady brass for my F/A .475 and after running close to 3,000 mostly full power loadings through only about 200 pieces of brass, I have lost exactly... None. Unless your Ruger has a loose chamber, I bet you will find the same. That factory ammo you bought was very accurate in mine, but not super powerful. 400's at 1,225 from my 4-3/4" barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    Tell me about the recoil.... The GunBlast video makes it look pretty mild even though the Ruger is only 7.1 lbs!
    I'm hoping for a spec (tight) chamber too. It doesn't look like Ruger made but a short run of these #1S rifles in 475LB, as I don't see ANY for sale on a web search!

Boolit Buddy

The little rifle is light, but with the added weight of a scope it won't bother you to shoot it (unlike a revolver in the same caliber, which will get your attention!). Sometimes you can find one at "Classic Sporting Arms" on the web, but they are a challenge to locate.

Boolit Buddy

Just put a Aimpoint red dot on mine. Friends, this sight is worth the cash! VERY FAST target acquisition, and as accurate as irons.

Boolit Master

Resurrecting an old thread....... Lipsey had 21 Ruger No.1 .475's in stock as of yesterday afternoon. Plenty of .460's as well.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    Sold the extra nice wood 475 No.1. However I refilled the empty slot with another No.1 in 475 Linebaugh just yesterday. This one is a 20” version with plainish walnut and I will SHOOT it!
    I can finally test the cast bullets a couple of you guys gifted me just before I sold the other 475.
    Last edited by Alan in GA; 06-12-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Boolit Master
    2+years later still havent shot mine... life gets in the way

Boolit Buddy
    I have had about 20 Ruger No.1 rifles in last three years. Have not shot a one yet. Going to change that very soon, most likely with this 475!

Boolit Buddy

I know it is raw fantasy, but I like to think of these as a modern remake of the old .45/70 trapdoor carbine. About the same weight, power and trajectory, but you can mount modern sights and there is no nagging concern about strength.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill*B View Post
    I know it is raw fantasy, but I like to think of these as a modern remake of the old .45/70 trapdoor carbine. About the same weight, power and trajectory, but you can mount modern sights and there is no nagging concern about strength.
    Good fantasy. I still Hunt deer as often as possible, but for 10 years have only bow hunted a few miles from my house in my ‘archery only’ county. Previously I hunted a LOT with firearms as well but travelled one to three hour drives to deer lease clubs with my brother in law. I’ve been blessed to be able to have hunted so much in my 68 years. I hope to do more rifle hunting, especially with a couple of Ruger No.1 rifles I’ve aquired.
    What I DO enjoy is pulling a No.1 from the safe and having it handy to admire in my home office. It’s very enjoyable to lean back from the computer and paperwork,... and handle and admire Bill Ruger’s creation.... makes for a pleasant break!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast