RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Stick on wheel weights

Boolit Bub

Stick on wheel weights

I was sorting though some WW'S and find some SOWW'S that appeared to be as hard as COWW'S. Is this what yall have found. Do some of them have the same hardness.

Cool Soww

From all my findings with "soww",they are a lot harder now than they use to be.Years back ,they were soft lead,5.0bhn/6.0bhn.Now I have seen them as high as 7.4bhn.I would just mix in with coww.Lee

Are you sure they are not steel?

Boolit Bub
    I'm sure it is lead and not steal or zink.

I have found them to be dead soft, pretty much pure lead. Now there are stick ons that are zinc, they will not crush or cut.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

About 10 years ago I did some specific gravity tests on various brands of SOWW and found them to vary widely in composition. From dead soft pure lead to about the same density and hardness as 92-6-2 magnum alloy.

That was before zinc, steel, powder impregnated rubber and other junk started showing up. Now I don't bother sorting it. There are other sources of soft lead that are less hassle.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Side cutter for sure keeps me 100 percent lead

Someone on here mentioned that there are 2 types stick on LEAD WW. One kind is uncoated lead. They look grey/black and flat. There is another kind that are about the same size, but coated with some kind of polymer. I forget who said it, but they claimed the coated ones were about as hard as the clip ons, but the uncoated ones were still dead soft.

I didn't realize that, and melted my last mixed supply of them together. Next time I'm going to try and separate the uncoated dead soft ones from the polymer coated ones and see if it is a real difference or not.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Boolit Master
    As 4719dave said.Sidecutters will help alot.If they don't cut easily with sidecutters,they don't get used.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Bub
    All my stickons come in around 5 or 6 air cooled. They do not have any coating on them.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Boolit Bub
    Those are the kind im talking about. The coated ones. When you cut them with the side cutters you can tell they are not pure lead.

Boolit Grand Master

At least a third of the SOWW I get are Fe. There are a few zinc , but the rest are really soft lead.

I have had good luck mixing 8 pounds of clip ons to 2 pounds of stick ons. This may not be a perfect formula but it allows me to use everything and I've had no negative issues.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Master

I separate out all the pure lead SOWW's (tape-a-weights, etc.) and treat them as pure lead. The painted ones or harder ones, that look like strips of mini bricks, go in with the COWW's. (They all have enough Antimony to be put in that category.) The Steel and Zinc ones get recycled.

My Stick-on wheel weight ingots come out to be very near pure lead that way and it does not effect the quality of my Clip-on lead in any way.

Boolit Master

I sort the SOWW too. The uncoated ones are sorted and used as purish lead. The coated or painted ones are sorted and used for muzzie balls. I don't add the painted ones to my clip-ons because they are significantly softer and can affect the hardness of the clip-ons ingots. Guess I am being a bit anal about it, but I find it is easier to get specific alloys with 100% COWW for use in my rifles.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.