RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Which bullet will shoot 1/2 MOA @ 300yrds?

Vendor Sponsor

Which bullet will shoot 1/2 MOA @ 300yrds?

Well I suppose either one of them has the potetnial to shoot small groups. I can certainly tell you which one would be most affected by the wind and which would be least affected. Which one would be better for long range targets, which would make a bigger hole in somthing, which would be better for varmints, etc. etc. etc.

I suppose a lot has to do with the quality of your barrel, trigger, stock, brass components etc. etc. etc.

lets see, I suppose I am like most shooters, I don't shoot much paper targets beyond 300 yrds, yet. Most of my range tests are simply to prove the accuracy potential for my bullets at 100yrds. But I do enjoy shooting at longer range. Shooting pop cans and varmints is certainly fun a long range. I have been able to beet 1MOA at 300 with my 22 cal bullets and previous 180 grain Nosler bullets before I made my own. At the time 2.75" at 300 was about the best I had done with the noslers. I would have to find the target of the 22 cals at 300yrds and I did have some good luck at 500 with reswaged 22 cal commercial bullets.

Well I got a very good group at 300 yrds this weekend sighting in for deer season that measured 1.65" center to center for a three shot group at 300 yrds. That is darn close to .5 MOA for that distance.

I am begining to believe (even more so now) that the barrel as well as the brass prep will have a lot to do with potetnial accuracy. I know it is a combination of everything to find the "magic" that equals small groups and accuracy is not always the result of any one component. A good barrel may make a lesser bullet shoot better and visa versa. Here is what I was using....

18" Lothar Walther barrel
    Savage Short action in cheap plastic Savage stock
    after market trigger set for low pull weight
    $100 Nitrex 3-9x40 scope with balistic plex
    LC 1960s era brass that was properly annealed, trimed, neck reamed and primer pocket uniformed. Basicly match preped.
    CCI 200 primers
    RL-7 powder

I have shot great groups from many different barrels now including Lothar Walther, Pac-Nor, Savage, old HS Presision. I have a Shilen and Criterion on order and a McGrowen in the safe I haven't shot yet. But when it comes to great groups on paper there are many beliefs out there and potential for a lot of cost involved.

Here is what I was able to group into 1.65" at 300yrds.......

As you can see the elevation was perfect. Must have been a slight wind. These big bullets do drift a LOT in the wind.

Subtract the bullet diameter (.400) from the 2.05" "outside to outside" group and you get 1.65"

Here is the best 100 yrd group of the day. I should be able to get that third bullet to hit the same hole soon

Accuracy doesn't have to cost alot as you all can see. You can bet I will be shooting this bullet combination a LOT from my 40-308

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 10-03-2012 at 06:57 PM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

In Remembrance

Nice work, Brian!

I'd bet that if you could get some glow in the dark airsoft balls, those would look like tracers!

Swage on!

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Vendor Sponsor

Tracers? Only to those standing down range I'm sure. Probably couldn't see the tip from behind the base of the bullet. But anything is worth a try.

WAIT!!! I GOT IT! Place a glow BB in the empty primer pocket of the bullet but then it would probably fall out once fired, same as the spent primer does. Could you imagine that! the glow BB falling out at some point between end of barrel and target! Accuracy would "appear" as though it was shooting all over the place ........... WAIT! Call me stupid! This all sounds good but how do I get light to the bottom of the "LOADED" bullet to make the BB glow?

No wait....... the burning powder/flame would make the BB glow......... oh enough allready

Thanks

BT
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 10-03-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Buddy
    Well I got a very good group at 300 yrds this weekend sighting in for deer season that measured 1.65" center to center for a three shot group at 300 yrds. That is darn close to 1.5 MOA for that distance.
    dont you mean .5 MOA
    nice shooting

i dont mean to be a dick but generally speaking 3 shot group dont get recognized except on the internet

Vendor Sponsor

Thanks

Yep! .5MOA That's what I ment. I'll make the change.

True. 3 shot group is not a 5 or 10 shot group. I was still pretty thrilled about it. I'll have to take more shots next time. These where the only three shots I took at 300 yrds that day.

LW makes a good 50 cal barrel don't they?

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Buddy
    Tracers?
    quote: "I'd bet that if you could get some glow in the dark airsoft balls, those would look like tracers!"

If we could come up with the boolit swager's version of the Lumi-nocks used by our bow hunting friends...

How 'bout a tiny battery and led in the primer pocket of the empty brass used for jackets? Call them "Lumi-Boattails"

The leds could change colors as they head down range.

The expanded boolit could light up a wound channel to enable boolit recovery after a successful hunt.

We could decorate our homes for Christmas from the ground - just shoot a line of boolits around each door and window - we could call them "light loads."

Just sayin...
    Bob

p.s. Brian - I give you permission to develop any of these ideas and run with them.

p.s. (again) Brian, those other "plain" boolits at the start of this thread look pretty fine, great work!

Boolit Master

That is very nice Brian. Good work. A person cannot ask for much more than that.
    Jack

Banned

Referring the comment about getting that third bullet into the other two: Sometimes you just have to know when to stop shooting.