RepackboxLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Free chex vs Pat Marlins check maker

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Just finished making up my first lot of 35PB gaschecks using Pat's die & a couple of Yonky's .550x006 aluminum coils, there was no trimming or filing on the die as many mentioned.

He has quite a fast delivery service, even down here to Oz.

Everything just worked first up, pretty slick stuff, much easier than chopping up my alu/cans, not as colourful though I guess.

Everything looks so purdy its a shame I have to go & ruin it all at the range.

I use my Free Chex in conjunction with an arbor press but understand they can be used by tapping with a hammer. I had one PM device but sold it. Have 2 Free Chex and can make a seasons worth of gas checks in an hour per caliber.

for the free chex, do you have different free chex III's for each caliber or can you just change parts for different calibers? I am looking for a .311 and .225

Yep..........need a different chex for each different calibre.

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Quote Originally Posted by fullofdays View Post
    for the free chex, do you have different free chex III's for each caliber or can you just change parts for different calibers? I am looking for a .311 and .225
    One tool per caliber. You can get by with one tool for .30cal and .303cal/7.62X54R etc.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    As trhe old saying goes: "You pays your money and takes your chances". For PB, Pat is all that there is. For full, both are good ...simply work differently.

May the Peace of God Be With You!
    and to ensure it, Keep Your Powder Dry!
    NRA Endowment Member
    Life Member 1957
    NRA Member since 1954
    NRA Training Counselor: Rifle . Pistol. Shotgun. Metallic Reloading. Shotshell Reloading, Personal Protection In the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief Range Safety Office
    DrBill33
    castmine:
    "Where is John Gault?"

Boolit Buddy

Thanks you have convinced me to order one from Pat.

Pat seems to be a standup member of this forum.
    Last edited by kayak1; 07-16-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Banned

Hmmm, those (old) pics again... lol

Calibers Now in production-

7mm cal, 270 cal, 30 cal (includes 7.62x39, 303 Brit w/opt male die), 30PB cal (includes 7.62x39, 303 Brit w/opt male die), 338 cal, 32/8mm cal, 32PB cal (includes 8mm), 32-20PB Winchester (includes 32 S&W Long, 32 Colt New Police) 35 cal (includes 9mm), 35PB cal (Plain Base, includes 9mm), 375 cal, 375PB cal, 40/10mm cal, 40/10mmPB cal, 41 cal, 41PB cal,44PB cal, 44 cal, 44PB cal, 45 cal (fits both pistol and rifle), 9.3 cal, 45PB Pistol cal, 45PB Rifle cal, 45PBAR cal (tall check for the AR platform), 50 Cal Pistol (.501), 50 Cal Rifle (.512), 50PB Pistol, 50PB Rifle.

COMING SOON...
    -more calibers including:

22 cal standard, 22T cal (tall), 22PB cal, 22PBT (tall) cal, 25cal, 25PB cal
    6.5 cal, 6.5PB cal, 348 cal, 348PB cal, 405 cal
    405PB cal ,480 cal ,480PB cal, Percussion Cap Dies.
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 07-17-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Personally I don't care who makes the check maker I just don't want to handle the checks 2 or 3 times. 1 pull of the handle ='s 1 check.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    Personally I don't care who makes the check maker I just don't want to handle the checks 2 or 3 times. 1 pull of the handle ='s 1 check.
    That theory is true no matter what industry you're in. Handle material as little as necessary. -tj

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    That theory is true no matter what industry you're in. Handle material as little as necessary. -tj

Theory...?

Most cast shooters- the ones who strive for perfection, accuracy, and to be able to do it consistently with a cast bullet, handle every aspect of casting, reloading, and shooting with great care and interest in doing so.

How many times do they take the time and handle every aspect of the process? Many times, and with excitement and interest. This is part of what makes an accomplished cast shooter. This is what drives a cast shooter.

I as many other folks here enjoy making our own gas checks that is yet again, one more step in controlling the outcome of our shooting accuracy, and giving us the option of yet more independence. One more handling step is of no consequence in this craft.

Theses are the one holer cast shooters who do it over and over again here at CB. And dare I say do it over and over again with my Checkmaker™ dies.

If cutting a disk, then forming the disk into a gascheck is to much trouble or hassle for someone in this industry, I believe they could find the road disappointing and frustrating in achieving great results in cast shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie
    I am not going to be dissuaded from ordering my 9.3, 35PB, 41PB and 41, 30PB, from Pat. That I will do it in stages is a given. Hang on Pat.
    You and Veral are changing the practice of cast boolits like Elmer and Walt!!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I did 400 checks the other night in a couple hours starting out with washed out cans and ending with nice little checks. A roll or material would probably be nice but with 3 or 4 pop cans in the garbage very night I just figure why not take the few minutes to hack them up. Ya Pat's check maker is a 2 step process but the hardest part of the process is getting a hold of them little round disks. Once I got the steps down its no problem sliding the disk off the cutter at a fast rate. Putting the disks in the cup portion of the die is easy and once you get the finger flip down they fall right into place. I might have a couple messed up checks out of 400 but they were my fault for not getting the disk into the cup right, other then that all the checks I made were uniform. One thing that drew me to the Checkmaker was the ability to use my Rock Chucker press. I don't need to have another press on my bench nor did I want to buy an arbor press or make some kind of holder for a die to use my drill press. I got the checkmaker, screwed it into the press and started to turn out checks.

Keep up the good work Pat, you have a great product and your plain base checks work great on them dang bevel base bullets that always get a lubed up base when lube sizing.

Banned

Thanks for all the well wishes.

I'm not going anywhere. This is all I do now- Patmarlins

5 years now. You guys did this to me...

I'm working daily in the shop refining procedures (that never ends), getting another machine online. Sometimes these machines don't want to always cooperate...

Working hard to get all the 22 calibers dialed. It's taken new tooling block setups.

I just don't get it............if Lee didn't exist to bash which press would be the next target.

Some like auto cars some like manual .......... do we have to listen to this constant ******** on what best suits each reloader !!!!!!!!!

Just use the one that best suits your needs & leave us all out of it !!!!!!!!

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Pat save the BS for someone who doesn't know any better!!!!!

If you think I'm going to make checks in 2 or 3 different steps because you say that's the way to do it, guess again.

You are absolutely correct with 1 thing though, I'll give you credit for that. Cast bullet shooters that strive for perfection do try to control every aspect of the reloading process make their own check makers instead of paying you up front & waiting a year or more to get 1 of yours.

1 pull of the handle ='s 1 check. A 35cal pb check maker that will work in a standard 7/8-14 press or an arbor press.

Attachment 76512Attachment 76513

It ain't rocket science, anyone with a lathe can make them.

Keep the discussion tidy people or it will be closed down.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Banned

This has been puzzling to me from the start. I have never seen so much controversial BS flung back and forth by folks over something as idiotic and stupid as gas check forming dies. So much so I have been absent form this forum which I truly love, to avoid it.

For some reason, I have been attacked from the beginning since I started making dies here. It just has left me speechless...

So I will leave here again.

Boolit Master
    You should see the aurguments and BS over the posts in the lube section.
    I recently brought some gas checks from a member here of the plan base .357,45 and normal type 30 cal. They where made with your tools, I have only tried the 30 cal ones so far and they fit quite well. In the near future I plan to buy a 30 cal gas check forming die. I figure even with the 2 step process I will make enough gas checks in an hour or two to keep me supplied for a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    This has been puzzling to me from the start. I have never seen so much controversial BS flung back and forth by folks over something as idiotic and stupid as gas check forming dies. So much so I have been absent form this forum which I truly love, to avoid it.

For some reason, I have been attacked from the beginning since I started making dies here. It just has left me speechless...

So I will leave here again.

Boolit Buddy
    Rachel Jeantel could figure out the common reason for the rancor in the gc threads. -tj

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast