Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Free chex vs Pat Marlins check maker

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    I think this discussion of the 2 check makers is very beneficial to the 2 businesses. It gives both Pat and Charles a chance to see what has bothered some of their customers so they can improve their products if need be.

I know that if you sell enough of your product you will sooner or later get someone mad at you.

Pat has been here for many years and has been very open about things that slowed delivery, caused changes etc.

I have also used the tool from Charles. I believe Charles has been here a time or two but is not a regular here. Not faulting him either just a statement.

Constructive criticism helps everyone but grinding an axe benefits no one and most here are smart enough to pick up on those folks.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

So the final word then is everyone is happy with the maker they have settled on? Let's move on.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Teutonius View Post
    Hello boys,

I read here a few times. I apologize for my incorrect English. It is sad that this forum is partly used to attack other people and bad things about them. The forum is still there to share experiences, learn from each other. There is al ot of information that can be exploited each. Furthermore, everyone should be grateful.
    The purpose is yet to report on experience with the various "Checkmakers", purely objectively, without offending someone.
    I own one tool Freechex II, two tools Freechex III, and two tools Patmarlins.
    I am very pleased with these tools. All provide very good quality. The tools are made for different presses (Reloader-Press or Arbor-Press), so as you like it. Patmarlins and Freechex are quality tools. What more could you want? I am glad that there are such men as Pat and Charles. They give us the tools to produce their own gas checks. For this we should be grateful. In conjunction with the right aluminum-coils from Yonky it is a snap.

In this sense, good shot

Teutonius

Well said. Let's move forward.

Each to there own and thanks to Yonky in good old england

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wal' View Post
    I just ordered a .35PB off Pat & he said it would be in the mail within the week, sounds like he's back up to speed, will let you know when it arrives here in Oz.

It seems to me that Pat is well & truly up to speed with his service, can't fault my own experience with him.

I ordered my 35PB checkmaker on Sept 19.....he shipped it out Oct 10 & arrived down here in Australia Oct 22.

Have an endless supply of gas checks now, just need to either find some aluminum coils locally or get onto Yonky for the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wal' View Post
    Have an endless supply of gas checks now, just need to either find some aluminum coils locally or get onto Yonky for the good stuff.

Try the local hardware shop for some aluminium flashing.

I got a piece cut about a metre long to try and it works well in my Freechex II 30 cal.

Boolit Master
    I get my checks from James Sage,I don't know what maker he uses but they are a good check. Pat

" Pat303 "

James Sage used Freechex from Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbrat View Post
    Try the local hardware shop for some aluminium flashing.

I got a piece cut about a metre long to try and it works well in my Freechex II 30 cal.
    Already done that, but would be nice to fine a supply of precut width & coiled ready to use.

Just trying to have it to easy I guess.

Banned

I'm almost there folks. There's a few old orders left on the bench with shipping paid, but waiting for parts.

New website coming with online ordering for (in stock) dies here that will ship within a few days.

I'm also trying to set the slot dimensions closer on all calibers.

Calibers Now in production-

7mm cal, 270 cal, 30 cal (includes 7.62x39, 303 Brit w/opt male die), 30PB cal (includes 7.62x39, 303 Brit w/opt male die), 338 cal, 32/8mm cal, 32PB cal (includes 8mm), 32-20PB Winchester (includes 32 S&W Long, 32 Colt New Police) 35 cal (includes 9mm), 35PB cal (Plain Base, includes 9mm), 375 cal, 375PB cal, 40/10mm cal, 40/10mmPB cal, 41 cal, 41PB cal,44PB cal, 44 cal, 44PB cal, 45 cal (fits both pistol and rifle), 9.3 cal, 45PB Pistol cal, 45PB Rifle cal, 45PBAR cal (tall check for the AR platform), 50 Cal Pistol (.501), 50 Cal Rifle (.512), 50PB Pistol, 50PB Rifle.

COMING SOON...
    -more calibers including:
    22 cal standard, 22T cal (tall), 22PB cal, 22PBT (tall) cal, 25cal, 25PB cal
    6.5 cal, 6.5PB cal, 348 cal, 348PB cal, 405 cal
    405PB cal ,480 cal ,480PB cal, Percussion Cap Dies.
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 07-17-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Took the easy way out, just completed an order with Yonky for 2 coils of his aluminum .550" x.006" x93'

Should be here by this time next week, seems like a pleasant guy to work with.

In Remembrance

What a shame!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    I think this discussion of the 2 check makers is very beneficial to the 2 businesses. It gives both Pat and Charles a chance to see what has bothered some of their customers so they can improve their products if need be.

I know that if you sell enough of your product you will sooner or later get someone mad at you.

Pat has been here for many years and has been very open about things that slowed delivery, caused changes etc.

I have also used the tool from Charles. I believe Charles has been here a time or two but is not a regular here. Not faulting him either just a statement.

Constructive criticism helps everyone but grinding an axe benefits no one and most here are smart enough to pick up on those folks.
    Bill it is a shame that Charles was driven from this site before I got here! He is smarter than than most of us. A wealth of knowlege that should be in a book. I have worked with him for over two years. His tools have improved with the help of many people . WHAT A SHAME! James Sage.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagebrush7 View Post
    Bill it is a shame that Charles was driven from this site before I got here! He is smarter than than most of us. A wealth of knowlege that should be in a book. I have worked with him for over two years. His tools have improved with the help of many people . WHAT A SHAME! James Sage.
    James
    I too know Charlie and have found him to be not only bright but in fact brilliant. He is a physicist and his wife an accomplished lawyer. I don't know the particulars for his apparent ostracisation but am saddened to hear of that as I have found him to be more than forthcoming in sharing knowledge without condecension.
    He is not at all jaded in demeanor nor do I find him to be a cynic. His abcense is most surely a loss to this site.

Boolit Master
    well, its a lick on me. I sortied in here after a few months absence (shooting you know) and am saddened the Hatfield & McCoy thing is going on again on gas checks. This has no value for anyone. So I will pitch in my thoughts.:

a. Look at videos, pick the tool you think meets your needs. What you see is what you get
    b. Cease this tribal nonsense, if you like Pat's stuff then okay, if you like Charlies, then okay. Why make it a DO or Die thing?
    c. Yonky is a good dude. So is Sage. Both have helped me and I was floundering badly at the time, they try to help others. Thanks to all.
    d. Pick your tool, make checks and go shoot. Take control of your rifle shooting with cast bullets.
    e. Shoot more for less: then make more bullets, make more checks and repeat: its the cycle of life

Boolit Master
    Good post that one. Pat

Boolit Master
    James,I don't know what you've done differently but the last lot of checks I've recieved from you were without doubt the best quality I've seen,each check I've used has been perfect. Pat

Boolit Man
    Getting ready to load some .444 Marlin with the LEE 430-310-RF. Ordered some checks from James yesterday. Already in the mail.

In Remembrance

Better edge

Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    James,I don't know what you've done differently but the last lot of checks I've recieved from you were without doubt the best quality I've seen,each check I've used has been perfect. Pat
    Pat, My new to me slitter leaves a smoother edge on the medal. The tool is ancient but better than a paper cutter. The paper cutter strip works fine if you remember to turn the curled edge up. That ususally eliminates the small divit on the check left by the FCIII tool. POOCH I hope you are not blown away by Sandy!

Boolit Man
    James, got my checks yesterday . . . thanks!

Moderator Emeritus

As I recall it, and I have been here since the Shooters days, we asked Charlie to come and sell his product here. He visited and said that he preferred e-bay sales. I would like to see how he was driven off as that would be a bannable offense to any member.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast