Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Free chex vs Pat Marlins check maker

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by yonky View Post
    Lol Richard, have you got a thumb like a blind cobbler now?
    Not yet but the left side of the thumbnail is finally starting to come off after a month or two of growing out from where I smashed it. That really hurt!!

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Not yet but the left side of the thumbnail is finally starting to come off after a month or two of growing out from where I smashed it. That really hurt!!
    Let that be a lesson to all, don't make gas checks while under the influence of alcohol! Lol
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Love Life
    No booze involved on this one, just running my mouth and not paying attention. I said some very colorful words and launched the hammer across the room.

Quote Originally Posted by yonky View Post
    Lol Richard, have you got a thumb like a blind cobbler now?
    Yeah, but he's one great hitchhiker.

Good clarification and thanks.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

I considered checking out the Freechex too but decided on the checkmaker. I have 35pb and 45pb and love them. I've ordered the .22 and .30 and am waiting on those. Since the move Pat has been cranking them out to catch up and adding new calibers to boot. I'm really looking forward to getting the .22 so I can start stockpiling lubed and sized boolits for my Mini 14 and AR. Frank
    Last edited by fcvan; 10-06-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wlc View Post
    Has anyone used both? Which worked best for you? I'm just getting into loading cast with GC and was thinking about getting a checkmaker of some sort and don't really know which way to go. Thanks for any help.
    I own and use both. I have 2)Checkmakers™, a regular model, for use with bullets having a gas check shank and a "plain base" type. The regular works fine. The plain base unit is problematic with many types and thickness of material.
    I also have 3)FreeChex tools. Two are FreeChex III's, one is a Freechex II. I have not encountered problems with any of them.
    For speed and quantity of checks produced, in my opinion, the FreeChex tools win hands down. When I am in the market for additional tools, they will be the FreeChex variety.
    Both vendors have good warranties and are responsive to problems. I have owned the tools for a short time, varying from 1˝ years to 2 months, so I can't attest to longevity. The FreeChex units are heat treated, the Checkmaker™ units do not appear to be.
    I won't get into delivery issues because that can be a changing thing with many dependencies.

If I were starting out today, without any knowledge or experience, I would choose Charlie's FreeChex tools. I base this on things I have read on various forums. If you think you will be making a lot of gas checks, I recommend the FreeChex III model. If you will be making only a few for testing purposes, any of the tools will work. I use a FreeChex II for just that purpose. It is economical and plenty quick.
    Good luck and happy check making....G
    Last edited by tchepone; 10-07-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: correct spelling error
    Try being informed instead of just opinionated.
    Sometimes it is better to just smile and walk away.

You can always tell a Handloader, by his unceasing quest for spent brass.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Freecheck system was/is like Pat's plain base system. Sizing a thin walled check onto a PB. That's my understanding. Freechex is a proper check on a shank.

I had an early one that fit .44 GC shanks.You used double Pop cans to get them to fit better.I have an article from the 1980's on them I'll find if i can.A fellow in the 1980's did the aluminum plain base check thing and had an article in Handloader or American Rifleman I believe.

George

freechek circa 1983

here it is.used on GC shanks.

sorry about the sideways pic's

Boolit Buddy
    Gee HARRYMPOPE freechek and freechex look about as similar as the Ford and the Cheverolet. tj

Boolit Master
    For what its worth a patent is only good for a max of 20 years from date of filing and you cannot file for a patent more than one year after you offer it for sale,

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    The freecheck tool was made in the 1980's by paco Kelly and ed wosika.did Charlie buy the patent?

the idea of a GC tool for aluminum checks in a punch manner is nothing new.The similar name of the "freechex"-"freecheck" tool is odd.

23 years later----

"In 2006, +++++++++++++++++++++++++ wondered if discarded beverage cans could be a source of metal for home made (free) gas checks. "

The new tools are much better thankfully.

George
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 10-07-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    Gee HARRYMPOPE freechek and freechex look about as similar as the Ford and the Cheverolet. tj
    there in nothing new under the sun.

George

I'm just grateful these clever folk share their ideas with us.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    I'm just grateful these clever folk share their ideas with us.
    Me too.I'd hate to have to buy GC's at current pricing.I wonder if Hornady will offer an aluminum GC at a bargain price?

George

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Free Chex is readily available, cost less and produces a finished gas check with each stroke and cuts from the edge of a sheet of metal. Pat Marlin's device may take 11 or more months to get, costs more than Free Chex, requires precision width strip, requires cutting disks then individually placing said disk centered in a forming die; a tedious operation which often produces an out of round check.

I use my Free Chex in conjunction with an arbor press but understand they can be used by tapping with a hammer. I had one PM device but sold it. Have 2 Free Chex and can make a seasons worth of gas checks in an hour per caliber.

The 11 months or more to get dies were for new calibers I had not yet developed that are now in production. That is old out dated news. Those old perorders are being filled here daily.

I'm rapidly getting close to dies shipping within a few days at my new shop, and all old orders- (new) calibers that had not been perviously available are running.

Things are changing.

By the way- don't forget accuracy. Making checks in record time is great. I'd rather have gas checks put my holes in the ten ring.

Also out of round? Hardly.

Go here and find out what kind of accuracy my customers who are shooters are getting with Checkmaker™ dies:

Mother of all Checkmaker™ Dies Links
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=104930

Banned

I'm proceeding with a complete line of dies perfected and supported for all calibers, including PB versions. If there is a mold made, or a plain base mold made, there will be a set of Checkmaker™ dies for it.

Calibers Now in production-

7mm cal, 270 cal, 30 cal (includes 7.62x39, 303 Brit w/opt male die), 30PB cal (includes 7.62x39, 303 Brit w/opt male die), 338 cal, 32/8mm cal, 32PB cal (includes 8mm), 32-20PB Winchester (includes 32 S&W Long, 32 Colt New Police) 35 cal (includes 9mm), 35PB cal (Plain Base, includes 9mm), 40/10mm cal, 40/10mmPB cal, 41 cal, 41PB cal,44PB cal, 44 cal, 44PB cal, 45 cal (fits both pistol and rifle), 9.3 cal, 45PB Pistol cal, 45PB Rifle cal, 45PBAR cal (tall check for the AR platform), 50 Cal Pistol (.501), 50 Cal Rifle (.512), 50PB Pistol, 50PB Rifle.

Updated- The list keeps growing...

Last edited by PatMarlin; 07-17-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Love Life
    I will say that when I had my PB dies they left me with a nice shiny bore in my Glock 9mm factory barrel. I had no leading without the OB gas checks, but the PB gas checks left me with great peace of mind.

Now where the PB gas checks really shone were when I was attaching them to a NOE 358-95-SP bullet. A 95 grain pointy bullet that I loaded over 10.5 gr of W231 in 357 mag cases and shot out of a Ruger 357 mag bolt action rifle. No leading at very impressive velocities.

Boolit Buddy
    Amazon and to a greater extent EBAY hold sellers feet to the fire and buyers can purchase with confidence via the internet. Amazon is hardly book and media anymore. I inject this because this thread has varied a long ways from the OP's question of A verses B. -tj

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    Amazon and to a greater extent EBAY hold sellers feet to the fire and buyers can purchase with confidence via the internet. Amazon is hardly book and media anymore. I inject this because this thread has varied a long ways from the OP's question of A verses B. -tj
    I do not know what you are talking about unless you are a troll.

The O P asked about 2 products . There have been many replies as to the pros and cons of both products and some educational background on both .

Amazon and EVIL BAY have not had their names mentioned here and they have 0 bearing on this page.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Love Life
    One last thing on the PB checks. They did not work well on my Star sizer unless I sized them base first. On my lee push through sizers I had to bevel the entrance to the die. On the standard base first sizers there were no issues and the gas checks went on more square (or round).

However; the star was finicky with standard gas checks as well.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast