RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Free chex vs Pat Marlins check maker

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    Can the freechex 3 produce pb checks for 9mm ?
    what is the optimal thckness for 9mm?
    I use Pat's PB gas checks made from pop and beer cans. They work just fine. I don't have a 9MM mold with a GC specific shank.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I have actually moved away from PM checkmakers. Once you read the instructions for making your own you can customize them to your bullet and to the material you have readily available. Freechex or home made for me.

I have both and had some problems with Pat's but he was very patient and got me up and working. I also have a FreeChex III and love it as well. The FXIII makes my 303 and thick 30 cal checks with .015 metal and PM's for thinner metal and those pesky plain base bullets. Pat's service is excellent and I used to shoot with Charlie when I lived near Camarillo. Both are gentlemen and provide excellent products with different approaches to making great checks.

We have 6 freechecks, just got the 38 free check IV. set up on an arbor press, all work like a charm, use the cut rolls from Yonky. Charley replaced a check that I broke for free, cant say enough good things about Charley.

Boolit Master

I've read some complaints in other thread that the PM tool makes little irregular looking bottle caps. And in fact it does. And I happen to prefer them that way. Maybe it's in my head but I think they tend to stick to the base better. And the plain base checks have allowed me to stop using expensive Lyman #2 alloy. Unless I'm looking for accuracy at longer ranges I now use mostly range scrap and with the PB check added they seem to make accuracy at closer ranges happen even with .357 magnum pressure. Add to this I've been powder coating bullets for a while now and I've noticed the PB applied after the coating tightens up the groups a little. If nothing else, it's been fun investigating everything.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

We were having the same problem with our checks, we also use range lead, we want our boolits to be at 14 BHN but we were using .014 material, for 44 and 45 cal after speaking with yonky and ordering his material we changed to .017 material and problem solved. checks stay on and accuracy has improved and stabilized. I shoot lawn steel with gas checked 44 special 215 grain and gas checked 45 long colt 250 grain made life easier when lube and sizing.

Boolit Bub
    Dumb question: How do well coke can checks work on bullets with shanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    Dumb question: How do well coke can checks work on bullets with shanks?
    They won't work. They're too thin and too broad.
    Krav Maga Instructor
    Defensive Tactics Instructor for Public Safety Personnel
    Empty Handed Gun Disarming Instructor

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - infantry journal

Boolit Man
    I have PatMarlins tool and it works excellent. But I was wondering if Freechex III will do the job for my needs aswell. Can I use Freechex III to make GC from soda cans (.004 thick aluminum) and put them on .225 plain base bullets? With PatMarlins tool the GCs stay very firmly on this bullet. How about Freechex III?

Quote Originally Posted by just_shooter View Post
    I have PatMarlins tool and it works excellent. But I was wondering if Freechex III will do the job for my needs aswell. Can I use Freechex III to make GC from soda cans (.004 thick aluminum) and put them on .225 plain base bullets? With PatMarlins tool the GCs stay very firmly on this bullet. How about Freechex III?
    No, Freechex is not a PB tool. Pat is the pioneer there.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    No, Freechex is not a PB tool. Pat is the pioneer there.
    That's note quite correct. Hanned Precision was the pioneer I believe. Up until about 1990 Hanned Precision was still advertising their Freechec Gas Check Maker. The ad read, Freechec dies make high-quality gas checks for plain based cast bullets out of aluminum pop can material.They swage on during lubri-sizing and won't come off in flight.$46.50 ea
    Charter Member #148

Banned

That is correct. Hanned Precision was the first PB dies that I know of, and gas check dies that I know of. That's where another manufacturer has claimed they invented gas check making dies and they are incorrect- totally a false claim.

What is unique and original is my Checkmaker™ name, design, and function.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    I've read some complaints in other thread that the PM tool makes little irregular looking bottle caps. And in fact it does. And I happen to prefer them that way. Maybe it's in my head but I think they tend to stick to the base better. And the plain base checks have allowed me to stop using expensive Lyman #2 alloy. Unless I'm looking for accuracy at longer ranges I now use mostly range scrap and with the PB check added they seem to make accuracy at closer ranges happen even with .357 magnum pressure. Add to this I've been powder coating bullets for a while now and I've noticed the PB applied after the coating tightens up the groups a little. If nothing else, it's been fun investigating everything.
    It's not in your head Bob and you are correct. That is a fact, and has been proven by CB shooters here with R&D testing over the years, the bottle cap has benefits. If someone thinks bottle caps are bad, just use thicker metal and they disappear.

I've had actually (2) customers wish to return the dies because the metal they used bottle capped. I always suggest to actually shoot them to see what they find. One set I had to refund, because he was convinced the dies were bad, simple by looking... lol

Here's a link on the subject I wrote a long time ago:
    http://www.patmarlins.com/theory-and...he-checkmaker/
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 11-13-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Banned

"Dumb question: How do well coke can checks work on bullets with shanks?"

Quote Originally Posted by abqcaster View Post
    They won't work. They're too thin and too broad.
    This is incorrect.

Soda cans do work with my die dies, with limited accuracy and depending on your mold- some hold very well. This is a benefit to the Checkmaker™ design.

Here are some examples...

Here is a CB member using soda cans with his 30 caliber Checkmaker™ dies:
    http://www.patmarlins.com/do-checkma...on-once-fired/

Another example is PatrickL here had posted many 2" groups with his lever actions @50 and soda can gas checks:
    http://www.patmarlins.com/theory-and...he-checkmaker/

They don't produce one hole groups at 100 yrds like .014" thick metal has with my dies consistently, but they do work.

I know there's a lot newcomers who don't know about the progress of gas check dies over the years here at CB, so I try to show examples when the subject comes up.

PB checks are all together different. .004 Soda cans work GREAT for PB checks....!
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 11-13-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    So I gather the difference is Marlins set up uses a standard reloading press, the other a drill press. Have both so not really an issue. But I like the idea of being able to put a gas check on PB bullets, I have been wanting a NOE mold in GC for my Mosin, but has not had any in stock forever, could just put checks on the one I already have this way. Not really concerned about how fast, as I really don;t go thru that many checks anyways, I would prefer quality over quantity, so looks like Marlins set up is the way to go.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    , I would prefer quality over quantity, so looks like Marlins set up is the way to go.
    This implies that a Freexhex tool does not make a quality gas check. This would be a false claim. Quality gas checks are dependent on the raw material used in them. The brand used to make them is a personal choice.

Banned

I never understood the controversy here at CB regarding gas check dies. Even to the point of hostility which is hilarious.

I believe shooters are very fortunate to have manufacturers make tools available and give you choices, as I can tell you first hand it's a Hard, hard, road to go down and actually be successful manufacturing a product for the shooting industry. Most give up.

Ford or Chevy- take your pic. Like every other tool, die, press, in this industry, they all work and it depends on how you would like to work to make your own cartridges, to be able and (FREE) to go out and shoot and have some fun for cryn' out loud. '

That's what's important. Don't mean a damn on how you got there.

Pat ...

Thanks for those words of wisdom ......

So, puting speed of fabrication aside, which makes the higher quality gas check from copper?

Boolit Grand Master

It depends on the raw material used. They both produce high quality checks.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast