Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Free chex vs Pat Marlins check maker

Boolit Master

Free chex vs Pat Marlins check maker

Has anyone used both? Which worked best for you? I'm just getting into loading cast with GC and was thinking about getting a checkmaker of some sort and don't really know which way to go. Thanks for any help.

Boolit Buddy
    A quick Google search will help you.
    Here's just one result
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NrZ1paz8UE
    tj

Free Chex is readily available, cost less and produces a finished gas check with each stroke and cuts from the edge of a sheet of metal. Pat Marlin's device may take 11 or more months to get, costs more than Free Chex, requires precision width strip, requires cutting disks then individually placing said disk centered in a forming die; a tedious operation which often produces an out of round check.

I use my Free Chex in conjunction with an arbor press but understand they can be used by tapping with a hammer. I had one PM device but sold it. Have 2 Free Chex and can make a seasons worth of gas checks in an hour per caliber.

I own 2 of each and have to say they are both really nice. Pat (checkmaker) and Charlie (freechex) invented these tools and they must be very skilled machinist and also very smart. They both work great and do as advertised. From what I have seen, both of these guys stand behind their products and go above and beyond to insure customer satisfaction. Pats checkmaker tool is the only one that will make checks for plain based boolits. You can use aluminum cans or similar material and the check swages onto the boolit really well. These pb checks really did improve accuracy and reduce leading.
    Charlie's freechex 3 is also a awesome tool, but only makes checks for boolits that are shanked for gc. The main difference between the two is the freechex 3 makes the check in one pull of the handle (cuts the disc and forms the check) You could probable make 1000 checks in a hour while Pats checkmaker is a two step process ( cut disc, then form check).
    Another thing to consider is, the checkmaker will mount in any standard press and the freechex 3 needs a arbor press or drill press. I have to say I am very happy with both products and use them often.

I think Pat has cleared a lot of his backorders, I received my tools in about 6 weeks. He recently went through a divorce and had to move his shop from the backwoods into town. I think he is now setup and running full speed. The freechex 3 is readily available (order one and it might be in yor hands in less than 1 week). If you have the need, I would say order both

Boolit Master
    Have 6 Freechex tools..all work extremely well. Charlie is very responsive and helpful...I cannot say enough good things about him.....and I set the bar pretty high, if you know what I mean. You send him an e-mail and he responds He has convinced me that he wants you to be a happy with his products. I like that...

Using a board, the Freeechex tool, and a plastic mallet, one can sit and watch TV and punch out the Gas Checks. I have tested them against factory made and found no accuracy differences.

As I choose to use aluminum, not copper, they will sometimes pull off when being sized/lubed. This is not due to a faulty of the tool--- it is the price you pay (or you coudl say don't pay) for using aluminum versus copper.

Boolit Master
    I have 3 of the feechexIII tools.30 357 and 44 cal.They make gas checks so fast that I can't see why any one would want any other kind.And like has been said Charlie is very fast to get what you want in your hands.......Terry

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    I can only speak about Charlie's tools, I have three,they work flawlessly ,one punch one check as fast as you like.charlie is a top guy,replies to all emails ( no matter how trivial) quickly.
    I have sent many samples of aluminium coils for Charlie for testing his tools, and he as always insisted on paying me. Top man. Enough said.
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Love Life
    I have owned/used both tools.

FreechexII- Performed very well and made checks like it was supposed to. It is the kind you wack with a hammer. I made a board/box setup so my formed gas checks fell into the box. I could really crank them out.

Checkmaker 35PB- Performed very well. Required two steps to create checks. Before yonky came along you had to use aluminum beverage can material. A pain, but necessary. Now with Yonky's material on the market I see the PB tool being another option for me. The only thing I did not like about the Checkmaker was the shock of punching the disks. It made the reloading bench rattle.

With that being said I no longer own either tool. I had a check making tool made by one of the members on this forum and it suits my needs better.

Boolit Bub
    I have 2 FreechexII tools, a .30 cal. and .22 cal. Love them both and they're adequate for my needs. I've heard great things about Pat Marlin's Checkmakers but I haven't used one. I got some 35PB checks in a trade and have had great results with them. Especially with 9 mm. They completely eliminate leading from the equation.

I wish Charlie would offer a .35PB FreechexII or III tool. I could order from Pat but I'm just not willing to pay for something and wait 6 months or more for delivery. Heck, I'm getting older and I may not be here in 6 months. I'm not the type to wait in line at a restaurant either. I don't care how good the food is.

Very much horses for courses. If you would prefer to use a loading press then Pat's tool. If you are happy to have an arbor press or use a mallet then Freechex.

Suffice to say that in either case both gentlemen have done us shooters a HUGE favour by making their respective products available.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    I just ordered a .35PB off Pat & he said it would be in the mail within the week, sounds like he's back up to speed, will let you know when it arrives here in Oz.

The freecheck tool was made in the 1980's by paco Kelly and ed wosika.did Charlie buy the patent?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you aren't wiling to stand in line for cast boolit stuff, you may as well go back to jacketed bullets. This stuff isn't sitting on a shelf at Cabela's to be shipped to you. It has to be made by craftsmen, in what is usually one man shops.

PS
    Don't bother ever ordering a rifle from me, you would probably have to wait.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    The freecheck tool was made in the 1980's by paco Kelly and ed wosika.did Charlie buy the patent?
    Freecheck system was/is like Pat's plain base system. Sizing a thin walled check onto a PB. That's my understanding. Freechex is a proper check on a shank.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Hands down, free chex III one complete check per cycle of the tool.

Love Life
    I just wanted to clarify my post.

Both the FreeChexII and the PB Checkmaker were outstanding tools. Were I in the market I would give both a serious look. The nod would probably go to Pat Marlins CheckMaker since I squished my thumb with a deadblow hammer using the FreeChexII.

Boolit Bub
    Been casting for 40 years and never had to prepay and wait several months for hardly anything. If I need something thats not availble I wait until its in stock and buy it. The only thing I can recall waiting for was a Lee .221 sizer for 5.45 x39 and I knew before I ordered that it was a custom item.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Love Life
    Delivery time was not part of the question asked by the OP. OP asked who has used both tools and which one worked best for you. Lets keep it going that direction, and not turn it into a "I had to wait!!! Boohoohoo!!" thread.

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I just wanted to clarify my post.

Both the FreeChexII and the PB Checkmaker were outstanding tools. Were I in the market I would give both a serious look. The nod would probably go to Pat Marlins CheckMaker since I squished my thumb with a deadblow hammer using the FreeChexII.
    Lol Richard, have you got a thumb like a blind cobbler now?
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast