WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .222

Boolit Master

Am slowly dialing the rem700 sporter into small groups.

225438 is my most accurate boolit that ive tried so far, and have gotton the groups sizes down around .5 @ 50 yards.

Most accurate load, 19 grs of imr-4895 (larry gibson load as a recall?) .2 grs of dacron filler.

Reason i wrote this is because i found out how to get the gun down to .4 groups........Simpley swap out the fed 200 rifle primer,to the fed 100 small pistol primer.

Dont know why i didnt try this before, as i found out a long time ago,that the 22 hornet thrives on small pistol primers,,,,,guess the duece does as well.

.4 groups,@ 2400 f.p.s. with no recoil,and not to much noise,,man,what a varmit getter!!!

What's your alloy and lube? I'd like to see boolit pics if possible.

MJ

Boolit Master

Cant tell ya my alloy,close guess would be mostly ww with a smudge of babbit. WD, they are 19 bn, and i use felix lube.

This 225438 was bought brand new 2-3 years ago.So assumingly,its the same one lyman is currently making???

I have 4 .22 molds, and none of the others will shoot as well as this 438.I can tell ya the weight also,because i just got done weighing some,,,,,,44.7 grs naked.

Dont think i can help ya with the pic,im to stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by mainiac View Post
    Cant tell ya my alloy,close guess would be mostly ww with a smudge of babbit. WD, they are 19 bn, and i use felix lube.

This 225438 was bought brand new 2-3 years ago.So assumingly,its the same one lyman is currently making???

I have 4 .22 molds, and none of the others will shoot as well as this 438.I can tell ya the weight also,because i just got done weighing some,,,,,,44.7 grs naked.

Dont think i can help ya with the pic,im to stupid!
    Good enough info... thank you!

MJ

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have a thousand Winchester 46Gn Hornet bullets and no Hornet rifle. I have a 788 in 222 and a Savage combo in 222/20Ga. I am about to experiment trying to duplicate hornet velocities with these and a group buy mould that I got previouslyso I don't destroy fox skins.

I will remember the pistol primers for these low pressure loads, worth a try.

Thanks.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master

Well done maniac.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

Hey larry, while your here browsing..........

Ive run into a problem with this load lately,,i had some dents on the shoulders of my cases,(looked alot like what happens when you get lube on your necks while f/l sizing)

I determined that what was causing this is unburned kernals of the 4895 powder. Seems i got a couple of kernals in the chamber,and they stayed in there,and caused these dents. I can take a fired case out of the gun,and tap it on the bench,and at least a few to as many as 4-5 kernals fall out of the case.They are unburned,but do change from gray color to golden color.

Seems i aint got enough pressure to make this powder burn proper. Have you noticed this yourself? I aint gonna stray to far from this load,in any rate,cause it shoots so well.Just wonderin??

The next time i loaded the brass,the dents got fireformed out,,,,,,,cool!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    I have a thousand Winchester 46Gn Hornet bullets and no Hornet rifle. I have a 788 in 222 and a Savage combo in 222/20Ga. I am about to experiment trying to duplicate hornet velocities with these and a group buy mould that I got previouslyso I don't destroy fox skins.

I will remember the pistol primers for these low pressure loads, worth a try.

Thanks.
    I get my best accuracy, in most of my 22,s @ about 2400 f.p.s., hornet included.I dont think this is a coinsidence,,seems to be where the .22 boolit is happy.Take your .222 up to around 2700 f.p.s., and see what happens................

2400fps is perfect for me. After all That was considered realllll fast when they bought out 2400 powder. Wow! driving a Hornet bullet at 2400fps! "Never heerred anything like it!!" they were all saying, lol.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Hello, everyone. I have a .222Rem. in a Ruger No.1. I had Fred Leeth make a custom nose-pour copy of the old Ideal 22636..this drops from my diluted Steriotype alloy at 53grs. It is the most accurate bullet I have for a .22 Hornet with 1-14" twist. The Ruger also has a 1-14, but doesn't care for this one. It shoots the older style 225415 of 49grs. pretty well..as well as an Eagan MX22. But the best accuracy is with that Eagan re-formed in a Corbin reloading type swage die. The nose punch I use is a copy of the later style Lyman 225415 nose..the bullet is swaged with just enough pressure to re-form that truncated nose into the Lymans curved ogive flat nose.
    Bullets are first gas-checked & lubed with Lyman Super Moly.
    What I can't figure out is why it shoots so much better than original Eagan? re-swaged bullet is a bit longer than as cast Eagan so stability isn't the issue.
    Perhaps the swaging squares up bullet base/gas-check to side walls?
    The best match jacketed bullet accuracy I can get with this No.1 at 100yds is 7/16. With the re-swaged Eagan..I can duplicate this accuracy using 10grs. H4227 & Fed. 205M primer. in Norma brass. Oh..after swaging, I size 1st. band in a tapered sizer I made to match rifling leade angle in throat. First band is engraved by rifling as block closes.

Wow! That's getting technical.22-10-45! You are getting great results though.

Boolit Grand Master

Hey larry, while your here browsing..........

Ive run into a problem with this load lately,,i had some dents on the shoulders of my cases,(looked alot like what happens when you get lube on your necks while f/l sizing)

I determined that what was causing this is unburned kernals of the 4895 powder. Seems i got a couple of kernals in the chamber,and they stayed in there,and caused these dents. I can take a fired case out of the gun,and tap it on the bench,and at least a few to as many as 4-5 kernals fall out of the case.They are unburned,but do change from gray color to golden color.

Seems i aint got enough pressure to make this powder burn proper. Have you noticed this yourself? I aint gonna stray to far from this load,in any rate,cause it shoots so well.Just wonderin??

The next time i loaded the brass,the dents got fireformed out,,,,,,,cool!
    Sometimes there is a little "bad" with the "good". Have you worked up above 19 gr?

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 10-13-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Sometimes there is a little "bd" with the "good". Have you worked up above 19 gr?

Larry Gibson
    I went up but without going to find my book, i cant tell ya how far i went. I do know that 19 grs seems to be a special spot.

I have a old sako vixen in .222, that ive never shot cast in,,I ought to try that old bird,with this load.

Boolit Man
    You might want to check out the Whisper loads for light j boolits.
    35 year NRA Life Member
    Cast Bullet Fan
    Single shot Rifle Fan
    Long term Rifle and Handloader subcriber

Boolit Grand Master

I went up but without going to find my book, i cant tell ya how far i went. I do know that 19 grs seems to be a special spot.

I have a old sako vixen in .222, that ive never shot cast in,,I ought to try that old bird,with this load.
    You have two 222s?

Larry Gibson

You have two 222s?

Larry Gibson
    I guess that's why he is a Mainiac, lol!

I have two as well, a 788 Remington and a Savage 222/20Ga combo.

Boolit Grand Master

My Savage 24V was also a 222 but was rechambered to 223. The 14" twist didn't do well with the M193 the owner wanted to use in colder weather so I got it for a song many years ago. Shoots cast quite well but I do wish it still had the longer neck. It's a very versatile "truck" gun and that's where it usually rides.

Larry Gibson

My Savage 24V was also a 222 but was rechambered to 223. The 14" twist didn't do well with the M193 the owner wanted to use in colder weather so I got it for a song many years ago. Shoots cast quite well but I do wish it still had the longer neck. It's a very versatile "truck" gun and that's where it usually rides.

Larry Gibson
    Would it be worth getting a smith to cut a longer throat or even re-chamber it? Popping the barrel off is no bigger with the Savage. if it was only the throat, it could possibily be done with hand tools.

Boolit Master

Larry Gibson
    Intresting. Ive had a few .223 sporters,an a heavy barrell, and ive sold them all off years ago. I never found one that would shoot anywheres near as good as the .222.

I dont know if this is because the .222 is most always a 14 twist,and the .223 is mostly faster twisted,,or is it the case capacity/shape??

I see where people have found out how to shoot very tiny groups with the ar style rifles, so obviously,they can shoot. But ive been stung enough to know that i wont buy another.

Boolit Grand Master

Maniac

It is because of the 14" twist barrel and the longer neck which allows proper seating without the GC being below the case neck. The longer neck also provides better support during the transition into the throat. All small advantages but thy do add up.

FFD

The rechamber was done with a standard "223" reamer made in '68-'69.....long before all the current 223 vs 5.56 chamber debate and differences. It has a longer throt that allows my 225462 to be seated with the GC at the base of the neck and the front drive bnd just engraves. A bit longer chamber neck could be used with reformed 222 Mag cases which are slightly longer than 223 cases. The longer neck of the 222 would be advantages mostly because of the bullet support and it would also keep all the lube grooves inside the neck. That is a benifit to me with a "field" gun.

Larry Gibson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast