RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone wanna go in on 80 tons of lead? lol

It is a logistical nighmare and in the end still a nightmare, I have a semi to haul this stuff and yes it is expensive to haul this. 4.00 plus fuel is just the start. There is to much for a few people to handle in there spare time.

Only way it would work is to hire a company to haul it to a refinery and have it asseyd and hopefully it is a good alloy or guess what you just wasted a **** load of money.

In the end it would be way more benifical to just order DIRECT from a foundy with what ever alloy you want.

I already looked at this and it is still expensive but atleast you know what you are getting .

Jaime

Here is a link to a auction last December. Might be fun to look at in light of this current auction.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=auction
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Buddy
    80 tons of lead equals 160,000 pounds. 7000 grains times 160k gives me enough for about seven million, five hundred thousand 148gr wadcutters. l wonder how much lube l will need

Boolit Master
    He is right, stuff does not sell for much less than the scrap metal guys pay. I
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    It's most likely going to go for a price higher than worthwhile. Large lots like that typically go for a few cents below current scrap prices. Add in the cost of shipping/refining and you're up there in total cost. The base by me consistently has lots of fired brass. They never sell at a good price.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    Here is a link to a auction last December. Might be fun to look at in light of this current auction.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=auction
    Dream crusher.
    Your'e probably right.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sw282 View Post
    80 tons of lead equals 160,000 pounds. 7000 grains times 160k gives me enough for about seven million, five hundred thousand 148gr wadcutters. l wonder how much lube l will need
    And Homeland Security has a contract out for what- last I heard- 1.2 BILLION rounds?

Anonymous
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

OK, I'm totally up for this! With construction in the sewer, I have plenty of time on my hands and could use a profitable project right now. I have the knowledge and I have the means.

Like Dragon said, It'll probably go for near spot price so figger $1.00/lb. Superfly could haul it for about 30K. I need to cover my travel there and back plus about three months to mutilate it......soooooo.....let's say $250,000 oughta cover it nicely.

Y'all start sending your orders right away, time's running out........money up front of course. I'll deposit the funds in a secure account... and if everything goes according to plan you can come by my shop about late February and pick up your lead at a rate of about $3.00/lb.

Of course if the scheme doesn't work out we'll have to fall back on the contingency plan......you can just hop down to Barbados and we'll cry in our beer......my treat!

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Dream crusher.
    Your'e probably right.
    You're right too, it would be a shame if it goes for cheap and we don't get a taste. We need a group by lead fund ready to go just for ocassions like this.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by chboats View Post
    I'm betting the Chinese buy it. A friend with a trap range had it mined. Ended up with 40 55 gal drums of shot. The Chinese offered him a $1.00 a pound right out of the ground with out cleaning.

Carl
    Yea, they need it to mix in the paint of the consumer products they sell back to us!
    Dan Dabson
    Dover, DE
    http://www.facebook.com/dabsonshooting

Stained Glass pieces made by my wife
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/connysstainedglass

Boolit Buddy
    Nothing the matter w/lead paint. Lasts 5 times longer than the junk SWP sells now. Besides l never have seen LEAD on a rest menu or cook book recipe. Half the public water pipes are LEAD. l aint dead yet

I have already paid for this lead ONCE. I should be able to just go pick it up, Right. I am not in the 1% but I do pay da man. EVERY YEAR.
    I would rather fish. Can you shoot fish ?
    ><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>`• .¸¸.•´¯[_____]””””””

sounds like Blamer's idea might have merit
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

In Remembrance

The last few auctions have been going for about $.65 a pound, not including shipping.

If you guys got 80 people to each kick in $1000, you MIGHT have a chance.

However, $1000 each, for 80 people, is a lot of asking around here.

You can bet the BIG processors will be buying this batch. That's pocket change to them.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

158,500 pounds equals 1,109,500,000 - or one billion, one hundred nine million, five hundred thousand - grains

That's:

7,496,621 148 grain wadcutters. . .

6,163,888 180 grain rifle boolits. . .

4,741,304 230 grain round noses. . .

4,350,980 255 grain Keiths. . .

2,219,000 500 grain Sharps rounds. . .

Of course, you're gonna lose so much of that in dross/oxides/fluxing that it's hardly worth getting out of bed for.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    The last few auctions have been going for about $.65 a pound, not including shipping.

If you guys got 80 people to each kick in $1000, you MIGHT have a chance.

However, $1000 each, for 80 people, is a lot of asking around here.

You can bet the BIG processors will be buying this batch. That's pocket change to them.
    All we need to do is form a non profit, get a tax ID, open a bank account with several signers and a director. Let people wire money into the account. Stop at a max bid amount. If we don't win send the money back. If we win the fun really begins.. That should be no problem, ... right?

Boolit Master
    Good to dream it, think it through. If there's the will there is a way. Tough to bite off this much too chew. If someone comes up with a feasible plan and we can get it CHEAP, I'm in for 2 or 3 thousand $ and labor. Bound to be lots of vacant warehouse space close by for inexpensive rent to store it. Just thinking...just saying. I'd like to see what they say about the mutilation.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Whats the high bid? And how far are people willing to go ? Bid wise just asking?

Boolit Master
    I'm betting the Chinese buy it.
    If it were on the West Coast or Hawaii, I am sure they would. However, they would have to haul it an extra 3,000+ miles, and lead is relatively inexpensive so that the cost of shipping might make hauling it across the continent or down through the Panama Canal not such a good deal.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bowfin View Post
    If it were on the West Coast or Hawaii, I am sure they would. However, they would have to haul it an extra 3,000+ miles, and lead is relatively inexpensive so that the cost of shipping might make hauling it across the continent or down through the Panama Canal not such a good deal.
    This stuff is in Florida, right? Cheaper to ship it to China via the Indian Ocean direct from a Florida port, than to move it by train to California or ship through the Canal. Distance isn't much difference, and it's on the efficient container ship the whole way.

Quote Originally Posted by I'll Make Mine View Post
    This stuff is in Florida, right? Cheaper to ship it to China via the Indian Ocean direct from a Florida port, than to move it by train to California or ship through the Canal. Distance isn't much difference, and it's on the efficient container ship the whole way.
    Portsmouth, Va. Which I think is right around the Norfolk Ship Yards.

Since it doesn't look like this is going to happen, is someone going to keep an eye on this and let us know what it goes for? At 65 cent a pound it would not be worth it after you add in the extra cost of storage, shipping and smelting. It would be cheaper to buy at a dollar a pound.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast