RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 44 cal

Banned

44 cal

If you're shooting a 44 cal 200gr boolit at about 1300fps, does it really matter what the launch platform is?

I'll be shooting this out of my 50 cal caplock renegade with sabot, of course.

Boolit Buddy
    Rhetorical question.

Banned

Yep, going deer hunting with it tomorrow!

With some luck I'll get to test it out.

Boolit Master

Good Luck old friend on the deer hunt. I don't think you will have any problems with lack of knock down power. Those renegades are some fine rifles. I have one of the TC Hawken rifles that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Man I'd love it if it was muzzle season here. I have to wait till the 20th. Good luck!

Banned

special draw only season, this Thur, Fri and Sat and next week thur Fri, sat, that's it.

Boolit Buddy
    I wish California had a muzzleloading season...

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Go get 'em, DJ!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Launch platform!!! in a muzzle loading forum..Good Heavens...times are a changin!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    If you're shooting a 44 cal 200gr boolit at about 1300fps, does it really matter what the launch platform is?

I'll be shooting this out of my 50 cal caplock renegade with sabot, of course.
    I'm not even going to ask what a "launch platform" is, but, I am going to ask why you chose such a light bullet. I also assume you mean Hammerlock. Now that I'm done teasing with you.

These are some .44 Mag bullets I cast and use with a .50 cal Harvester sabot. I don't use anything less than a 300 Gr. boolit.

Most retailers sell a 240, which is still too light for my taste so I had to go back in to the art of casting my own bullets and making them for pennies. I like 300+ for the hard hitting kinetic energy. A 200 Gr. bullet will bounce right off a hip / shoulder bone. I also use only 100 grains of Hodgdon RS loose powder. I do not use those foul pellets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50 CAL 44 MAG MUZZLELOADER BULLETS APRIL 27 2012.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a buddy who's got the Lee 310 RF mould for 44 magnum. I bet that would be a great one for your application.

Banned

I've tried the LEE 310 RF mould in my muzzleloader, they don't work, keyhole at 20 yds. The twist in my 50 won't shoot anthing heavier than a 250gr saboted projectile.

"launch platform" any firearm that will shoot a 200gr 44 cal projectile. could be a muzzleloader or a RSRH.

A 200 Gr. bullet will bounce right off a hip / shoulder bone. <-- that right there is funny!

The last 200gr 44 cal boolit I shot at 1300fps diagonally penetrated the deer COMPLETELY.

Plus, a lighter boolit won't beat the snot out of me when I shoot it.

The lowly Lee 240gr SWC TL worked must fine for me this morning. Got a nice spike for the freezer. Shot was a close 40yds - through & through lungs. Not sure about velocity. Using 90grs of 777 with a harvester sabot in a H&R Sidekick (handi rifle).
    Last edited by OBXPilgrim; 10-07-2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: dang autocorrect on smartphone
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    "[A 200 Gr. bullet will bounce right off a hip / shoulder bone]"

YA, The 50 cal RB blew right through front soulder bone & out the other side, 80gr RF pyrodex ; )

H/D

Good luck! I have to wait four more weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD