MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Cast OAL issues with S&W Bodyguard 380

Cast 105 SWC OAL issues with S&W Bodyguard 380

Having a hard time getting proper OAL with some molds.
    First, due to budget, must use the low cost $16 Lee molds.

Most loading data shows .980 as OAL, but when at .980, these will fail to eject as opening is not large enough. Of course normally the round would be fired, so that should not be an issue, but sometimes I will need to eject an unfired round.

Keeping at less than .975 for ejection port, next up is chambering issues.

Have tried 3 molds. Sized at normal .358 was too fat, but sized .356 works. Hard to slug a 5 groove, but close as I could figure it was a max of .355.

First mold I tried was the one I already used for 9mm, 356-120-TC. These will hand cycle fine at an OAL of .973. But thinking that heavy of a bullet seated that deep does not sound good.

For reference, Lyman Cast Bullet 3rd Edition shows for 380 acp:
    121gr, w231, min 2.1, max 3.2, .980 OAL.

To get something geared more towards the 380, next mold was.
    Second mold, 356-102-1R with an OAL of .964 seem to cycle fine. The OAL is less than the .980 specified. (EDIT: Just compared these to some Federal 95gr FMJ and they are the exact same profile, and run from .958 to .964 OAL, with diameter of .354)

Did not like the profile of bullet, and seating deeper, so next mold to try that was highly suggested was 358-105-SWC.
    This boolit required me to seat at an OAL of .930 for it to chamber, just above the unused crimp groove. On the surface, that sounds unusable to me. But it actually sits in the case about the same as the 120gr TC boolit, which according to Lyman, is fine.

I have made a couple batches of test cartridges to see how they shoot, (yet to be tested), one using the 120 TC and the other using the 102 RN, both with 2.6gr w231, as it looks to be within safe range.

My big question is, since the 105 SWC takes up about the same amount of case space as the 120gr TC, can or should I try to use them? I would think that the lower weight 105gr boolit should perform better than the close to approved 120gr bullet, with same amount of powder, 2.6gr w231? Normally a lighter boolit allows for more powder, so keeping the same powder weight sound like it should work to me? I will Chrono loaded rounds.

Of the 3 molds, the 120 TC looks and cycles the best, and is closest to load data, yet seems like it probably would be too heavy. The 105 SWC looks the worst when fit into case, but has better design, and lighter weight. The 102 RN looks like the compromise I might be stuck with having to use? (looks means case bulge and overall like it belongs together, not looks as in nice looking)

None of the molds will go to waste, since I can probably use them all with 9mm and 38spl's that I also load.
    Last edited by RobsTV; 10-03-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Added comparison to federal 95gr FMJ

Banned

i'd be inclined to use the 105's.
    if you are getting bulges in the case you probably are squishing the boolits.
    back off the sizing die some.
    then make a few and shoot them.
    ugly is non accurate, non functioning........

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    if you are getting bulges in the case you probably are squishing the boolits.
    back off the sizing die some.
    Hadn't thought of backing off sizing die, but it makes sense and will give it a try. Thanks.

With the 105 SWC's flat base boolits, had to back off sizing die 4 turns. Deepest seated diameter was .345, which was actually pushing the boolits back up out of the case. Now deepest seated case inside diameter is .352. But this will not work as it creates other problems. Now, the outside of cases are being sized/shaved by seating die, since they are too large in the mid section of the case.

The 120gr TC are BB, so were not affected as much by the case tightness at depth, and no movement was noted. But I also used different brass, WIN instead of S&B.

I backed out sizing die 2 turns, instead of 4, and cases are now fine, but 105 SWC will not work deep seated in these small tight cases. Maybe with thin walled brass? Tried S&B, CBC, and PMC, all same results. But too much effort when I have a mold that will work, the 102 RN, and one that should work, the 120 TC.

Banned

that little test just answered all of your questions...
    now all that's left is to shoot some.

I used to use that Lee 356-120-TC in a Sterling .380 that I had. Ran it ahead of charges of Blue Dot that just started to bulge the case into the feed ramp for just under major power factor. It made for an interesting handful. Is that S&W blowback or locked-breech?
    Rick

The S&W Bodyguard 380 is locked breech.

The locked breech should let you get away with somewhat higher pressures than I could with the Sterling's blow-back action. It also gives you a higher factor of safety with loads that are closer to SAAMI pressures. If the 120 works, go for it. It can be a fun little round.
    Rick