Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handi Rifle in 500 smith and wesson

Boolit Bub

Handi Rifle in 500 smith and wesson

My newest toy and the first rifle I have cast bullets for on my own. Great fun but the factory fiber optic sights destroyed themselves after a few rounds. Brutal recoil, not sure what was bigger the grin on my face or the bruise on my shoulder

Shooting a 440 grain cast and gas checked from lee mold using lyman orange magic lube. Have shot some trail boss loads but just not as much fun.

Looking for scope recommendations, I have just installed a limbsaver pad and the length of pull is a little long. Was thinking about a nice scout scope or handgun scope. anyone ever tried one of these on a handi rifle?

I am planning on using this for some Bear and or Moose hunting and I just don't trust my eyes with Irons anymore and I have never used a scout type scope. I have tried a regular 3-4 inch eye relief scope and it does not work for me given the recoil and the length of pull. Do not want to shorten it as it is very comfortable as is. just need longer eye relief that will stand up to the recoil.

I am a big fan of red dot sights on guns like that. Eye relief doesn't matter, just put it where you want. Be careful with that barrel when you drill it for bases though, it's kind of thin.

In fact, I just brought a Vortex Sparc home last night for just this kind of use. I really like those because they have a 2 MOA dot, a lot finer than most dot sights and allow some pretty good shooting with rifles.

Boolit Grand Master
    You mentioned brutal recoil, does it still have the factory weight in the stocks through bolt hole? If it does, the gun will be very butt heavy. If not, it will probably balance pretty good, but will have the aforementioned brutal recoil.

Robert

Boolit Buddy

As far as glass goes it really depends on your wallet. For me I'm kinda cheap and the best cheap glass I can afford is the VX3 line in a 2.5-8x36 on my 375h&h and its has plenty of eye relief for thumpers. I would choose lower power for your application but if you get a leupold I would go with a VX3 since they have dual erector springs to mitigate harsh recoil. I also had very good luck with a 1992 made vari x 3 in 1.5-5x20 also a great choice and you can find them used for about half the price of a new VX3. I can tell you don't get a burris while they are great on lower power up to 30-06 or so they have shorter eye relief on high power and I got weatherby eye from a tikka t3 in 338 win mag with a burris E1 3-9x40. Luckily it had rubber on it and only gave me a good thump instead of a split and a scar. Also be careful with heavy loads in the handi a buddy of mine ruined his and now if he uses a heavy load it will open the action which scares the bejesus out of me. They are tough but be smart about it.

Boolit Master
    I would also recommend the Leupold. Look for the Dangerous Game 1.5-5 VX3. They are parallax adjusted to 75 yards and made for long eye relief setups. I have heard, but cannot remember where from that they are tested to 460 Weatherby standards at over 1500 rounds. If that dont last you, quit hitting it on the turrets with a hammer!
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Buddy

I do believe they say that scopes are tested to 750 g's whih is what a heavy recoiling rifle generates on firing. Either way I personally have never had a Leupold fail. I had one that looked dirty inside sent it back and it came back like new and has been great ever since. I also had one of the older vari x IIc models that had the windage turret require maximum force to turn it but it still worked. I mailed it back and it came home with new windage and elevation adjustments that still work fine. I really won't stray from them even when others offer better or equal for less money when it comes to a serious huntin rifle I choose Leupold every singe time. I do have other brands I got in trades over the years that all work fine but when I buy new it's gonna have a gold ring on it.

In Remembrance

I also have a Handi Rifle with the .500 S&W Mag barrel. When I sent it to the factory for barrel fitting, they installed a nice scope mount rail on the receiver, in addition to the fiber optic factory sight.

While the 500 S&W mag does kick a bit, it;s not any worse than the 45-70 in the same gun, or the 454 Casull (the most recoil of those three)

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

HONCHO EMERITUS

Not a "scout Scope" but I have the Weaver 1-3x classic V series scope on my Marlin .44 mag carbine. Stands up to heavy loads just fine; and has 4" eye relief. The maginification range suits the cartridges effective range perfectly.
    Last edited by Dutch4122; 01-05-2013 at 10:24 AM.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master

you WONT want a Nikon African. That's what I bought for this purpose and the eye relief is among the shortest of all my scopes.

I have a cheap bushnell shotgun scope on my 357 handi that's been working well and has longer eye relief. Maybe 4.5 or 5 inches max.

red dot is really nice though.

Banned

check out a weaver 1x3 they have great optics at the price range they sell at and ones been on a guide gun of mine thats shot alot of real brutal loads and has held up well.

Boolit Grand Master

X2 for Leupold.
    I have heard many many good things about Weaver's strait power scopes. I really want a 6X on my 358 Winchester.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Bub
    None of the regular rifle scopes will work for me in this application, its not the recoil I have the problem with, its how the rifle fits me, I have tried a bushnell shotgun scope with 5 inches and it still does not work for me. I need at least 8-10 inches of eye relief hence a scout or pistol scope. Its either this or I have to shorten the stock. Stupid short arms

Rifle came with scope base attached so no worries there. Thanks for the replies.

Boolit Master

you know, that IS an option. I bought a stock off GBO for 30 bucks. that way you can always go back to the OEM you have now, as well as have your shorter one.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    you know, that IS an option. I bought a stock off GBO for 30 bucks. that way you can always go back to the OEM you have now, as well as have your shorter one.
    For sure, was at my local smith today, he just scrapped a brand new one for the barrel, might just drop the gun off and try for a shorter stock.

Boolit Master
    Put a pistol scope on my cut down 30-06, works great.

You migh be able to move the scope mount forward and use the rear sight screw holes and use an epoxy bedding to make sure it doesnt go anywhere. We drilled and tapped my 30-06 barrel since it didnt come with iron sights.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy

DK17HMR,
    How is the muzzle flash on that beast? Seems it would be brutal near dawn or dark to fire but I bet its handy as all get out for brush and thick woods.

Boolit Master
    I honestly don't know....I can tell you it is loud. We cut it down, mounted the scope on it, and built an under the seat rifle rack and it rides around in my pickup 100% of the time. I just zeroed it for the load I use in my garand because I keep alot of that loaded, I really should work up a good hunting load for it.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    Put a pistol scope on my cut down 30-06, works great.

You migh be able to move the scope mount forward and use the rear sight screw holes and use an epoxy bedding to make sure it doesnt go anywhere. We drilled and tapped my 30-06 barrel since it didnt come with iron sights.

This is exactly what I was thinking about without the short barrel, They would put me in jail for that here in Canada I think I am going to try the 4x weaver scout.

You could also put on an Aimpoint Micro with a 3x magnifier behind it. That gets a little pricey, but if you have another gun to flip-flop them around on, it may be economical.
    I guess for a pickup gun you'd want the optic to stay put. I have a Leupold FX-II that sometimes sits on the Marlin 45-70. It's a fine optic. I bet that Weaver will be perfect.
    There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip.

Boolit Master

I mounted a scope base out on the barrel like dk17hmr did, I am using a 2x pistol scope and it is holding up pretty good, I shoot 400-700gr through mine and like you said the stock sights dont hold up, So far this set up is working well.