Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handi Rifle in 500 smith and wesson

I would be inclined to run a red dot like a Bushnell TRS-25 on that gun. I set one up on my Kel-Tec SU16 CA in .223 and I can hit the 24" 300 yard gong at our range everytime off a rest. At the ranges you're going to engage with your handy rifle a red dot makes alot of sense.

Also you can go much deeper into the dusk time with a illuminated optic. If you can even see the target at all you can get on it. Even a silhouette of the target will allow you to sight in with a red dot. With a flashlite mounted on the gun you can shoot in total darkness, and they work together really well. Turn the light on, put the dot on him, fire, turn the lite off. You're gone.

I am totally sold on them for light guns typically used at 50-200 yard ranges.

The Bushnell TRS-25 weighs 3 OZ and is about $90 just about everywhere. It is one of the highest rated small optics out there and alot of bang for your optic buck$.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I had one of these also. I bought a konus pro 6x40 for it. They have etched reticles mine has the illumination, good clear optics. Scope held up through more than 1k rounds of the 500. got rid of 500, now scope sits on my 45-70 and still going strong. really nice scope under $100. Im getting ready to buy one of the 4-12x40 for my 22-250.

My encore barrel in 500 S&W has eaten several scopes. A Vortex lasted 4 shots before "reconfiguring" itself. A cheap red dot and a old 4x fixed power.
    I've had great luck with the center points on heavy recoiling rifles. My uncle runs a 2-7x center point on his 460 carbine. That rifle jumps off the bags higher and faster than any rifle I've ever seen. He has close to 500 rounds of full on magnum through his and his scope is still great.
    I run a 1.5-4.5x on my wifes NEF 45-70. Great eye relief and holds up to heavy recoil.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

I put a 1x4 Leupold shotgun scope with Millet rings. Hasn't moved an iota. I'm running the Lee 440 grain as well. I'm incline to agree with Duke in Maine, I haven't noticed an undue amount of recoil with the 500 S&W in the Handi rifle. I have a 45/70 in a Ruger number 3 that has a whole bunch more felt recoil that the Handi rifle.

Boolit Bub
    OK, so I decided on the weaver scout 4 x 28, it's in the mail can't wait. I can't believe how hard it was to find and order one here in Canada. Unfrickinreal. I have been using a Bushnell legend while waiting, lasted about 150 rounds of full bore loads... The weaver has a lifetime warranty and by all accounts it should stand up to the recoil. My first scout type scope, but I think I will like it, I have shot my buddy" ruger scout rifle with the 2.5x Leupold, that is a sweet setup for sure..

Boolit Bub
    So here is what it looks like, I just used a set of weaver double extension rings, works perfectly and no problem with eye relief. I can keep 2 eyes open easily too. The 4x makes it quite easy to hit the 6 inch gongs at 100 and 200 yards, with the 300 grain ftx loads. Definitely minute of moose I have not pushed the cast loads too hard yet, just plinking with 13 grains of trail boss and the 440 lee. An absolute blast to shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    Ive got a weaver scout 4x28 on my 45-70 gbl Marlin mounted to a XS sight rail. The scope has 8 1/2" to 9 1/2" of eye relief. Nice scpoe for the money. Rick!

Boolit Man
    I love single shot break action rifles like the Handi. I built my own version. I took an old SS Kearsge (predecessor to K-Mart) single shot shotgun, cut the barrel down to 19 inches, and made changeable barrel liners. I have been shooting it most with 44 Mag, but also have 357 mag, 7.62x39, and 20Tactical liners in the works. Even for a home build, it is surprisingly accurate in 44mag with 240g Berry's over 7g of Trailboss or 20g of H110. Here is a picture of it when I was almost finished with it. I hadnt put the trigger guard back on or finished the sling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Almost done 2.jpg  
    "I will ask permission of no man, for that which has been granted to me by God and the Constitution."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12