Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .22 Magnum worth having?

Boolit Buddy
    Personally I'd get a 17HMR for yotes at 100 yds. but for 75 bucks I'd also own a 22 mag.
    Have lead, Will cast

Boolit Grand Master
    Have you priced the Ammo?? $12-$22 for 50 rds. depending on brand and type.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

ever shoot a raccoon thru the shoulders with a 22lr and a 22wmr? they ussually run off with the 22lr, not with the wmr. you could just shoot them thru the head, but at distance, and holding a flashlight thats tricky. we ussally kill several a night off of our deer feeders in the fall.

Boolit Buddy
    I've taken several raccoons with the lowly 22 short. always a head shot though. as far as ammo price, 17HMR and 22 mag are pretty much the same price in my area.
    Have lead, Will cast

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I have two M-48 S&W revolvers in .22 Magnum, as well as a Winchester M-94-22M lever gun. All are a hoot to shoot. I'd rather compensate for drop and have a heavier bullet than to shoot a .17 cal.

Regards,

Stew

(Post # 2,000! Two Boolits!)
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Savage 24DL in 22mag/20ga and a Savage LH bolt gun in 17HMR. I've shot animals up to coyotes with both and can say that the 22 mag with the Federal 50gr. bullet is a much more sure killer than the 17.
    Some of the newer 22 mag ammo has jacketed bullets, but there are still plated bullets like the 50 gr Federal and the Armscor ammo available for around $10. You can also shoot the 22WFR out af a 22 mag. Just have to clean the chamber like one does with 38/357.
    I used to kill rabbits in this area by a resivour(SP) that has rolling hills coming down from the mountains. All rotten granite in the area so you walk up one side, rabbit runs up the other, hit the granite next to the rabbit with 50gr bullet, dead rabbit with no holes in it!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thx997303 View Post
    Bringing up a thread that's been dead for 3 years.

Crazy people.
    You say "crazy people" like it's a bad thing. How sane is someone sitting next to 22# of 700* molten metal in 107* temps? That would be me today, BTW.

I've owned a couple 22 WMR rifles, and they add about 50 yards to what a 22 LR long gun can do. That's a substantial upgrade. I LOVE the cartridge in a revolver--it doubles a revolver's humane small game-taking range over that of a 22 LR short gun.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Even though this thread is old and maybe I'm crazy I thought I would add my $0.02 here.

I have a Ruger Single Six with 9" barrel in .22/.22 mag. I am impressed with the .22 mag. It seems to perform all out of proportion to its size and rimfire status.

I have wanted but not yet got a .22 mag rifle. Looking at ballistics between .17 HMR and .22 mag I have to give my vote to .22 mag.

While ammo is somewhat pricey, there is good variety as mentioned above ranging from lead, plated lead to jackets and even Hornady Vmax bullets. Much better selection I think than for .17HMR and at about the same price.

When I have some spare toy money I will add a .22 mag to my gun rack.

Yup, you can load .22 Hornet and some others cheaper than rimfire but as mentioned previously, some of us don't always want to reload. A rimfire is a nice option.

Longbow

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123