Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 Magnum worth having?

Boolit Master

75 bucks is a no brainer that is dirt cheap for a 22 mag rifle of any kind. I would jump on that like now. I am enjoying reloading cast for my 30 cal centerfires and others but I like the 22 mag for what it is and it kills big for its size. It is a nice round. I have a 22 mag Henry that is extremely accurate and a joy to shoot though with the price of ammo I keep it for critter control and not plinking. If I want to plink I will shoot my 22lr's or cast loads. But for a truck gun as a go along gun for when out and about the 22 mag goes along a lot.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Bub
    I'd never be without my .22 mag. Just the right tool for chucks around the yard where I don't want to touch off a centerfire. It's a little much for squirrels, where I think the .22LR is still king, but with a headshot it doesn't matter.

For chucks, the .22 mag has it all over the .22 LR. If you can place every shot in the head than it doesn't matter but the mag allows the luxury of a body shot and they die right there. With the LR, I had too many good hit chucks get down the hole leaving me wonder how long it took them to die.

I have an HMR as well and it's fine, but I still prefer the .22 WMR. You can't compare the 17 HMR and 22 WMR to the old 5mm Rem. Shells will be available for these too popular calibers long after we're all pushing up daisys. Way too many guns out there to feed already.

Boolit Master
    My vote?...Get it!...You can always sell it later if you really don't fall in love with it. Just be sure to lay in a stock of .22Mag fodder for it. Those prices aren't going down, IMHO they will not go down. I believe the cartridge companies have discovered what the gas companies have known for a long time. We will moan and gripe, but we will pay. And get in line to do it! Even the .22LR prices are going out of sight. But I digress. Buy it!...............................Lee

Get it! All my .22 centerfire ammo tends to be test loads so the .22 mag gets used on stray critters that are too big for the .22 rf.
    Mossbergs tend to need glass bedding to remove excess slop and, like the other rimfires, tend to be ammo sensitive. Get an assortment and see what it likes. It could surprise you. Some ammo is loaded with actual jacketed but there's lots out there that use plated and usually costs considerably less. Enjoy..
    Rick

I love my Marlin.

Very Accurate, and a joy to shoot.

Clint
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
    SEMPER FI

If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I had downloaded my M70 Fwt 223 to somewhere between 22mag and 22 Hornet velocities, and it was quite deadly, but sold it. I HAD a Stevens 44-1/2 with mismatched barrel relined to 22 Hornet and it was a shooter, but someone talked me out of it. I've since picked up a Ruger #1 22 Hornet, but not had time to cast and load for it. A few weeks back I was at the range and a friend showed up with several guns he was selling for a widow. He offered me a like new Savage 65M 22 mag for $100, and I couldn't refuse. I've wanted a 22 mag for quite a while, but never enough to pony up real $ for one. When I went to buy ammo I was shocked at how expensive it IS. I remembered 22mags being $6 a box, but now they are double to triple!

The 22 mag boltgun is quie a bit lighter than the #1 Hornet, and I won't be out much $ if something happens to it.

Boolit Man
    Howdy-
    LOVE my .22 mags! Picked up a used Marlin 25M at a show for around $80. Discovered on the Rimfire site how to improve the trigger pull considerably. Fell in love, wondered how I'd overlooked the round all these years.
    Bought a new CZ 452 American to scope- I see Timney makes a trigger. The story continues....
    Oh, Yeah. the ammo thing. Picked up some more CCI from Wally World- $9 and change for 50. That I can bear.

Boolit Master
    When I got a hair up my nose for a rim fire rifle in the "Mag" class I did a bunch of research before spending my cash.

Being left handed really bends the cards a bit but in the end I bought a Savage left handed bull barrel 17HMR and have been real happy with it.

Bought 500 rounds from Cabella's and, even though the price has gone up buying in bulk is the only way to do rimfire ammo.

Now if I had the chance to buy the Mossberg at 75 bucks I think I would if for no other reason than to try it out.

I also see the sense in a 22 mag versus reloading the 223. Never been a fan of stepping down performance! If I need 223 I shoot 223, if a 22LR will get the job done I use it.

Time means something to me as well and the point is one worth some thought.

Boolit Master

Bringing up a thread that's been dead for 3 years.

Crazy people.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by thx997303 View Post
    Bringing up a thread that's been dead for 3 years.

Crazy people.

No big deal ya see that a lot on forums. I don't I just start a new thread but others may want to continue a discussion especially if they just got a product that fits that thread.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Howdy-
    LOVE my .22 mags! Picked up a used Marlin 25M at a show for around $80. Discovered on the Rimfire site how to improve the trigger pull considerably.
    Would you mind pointing me towards that thread please?
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

No, in short. Buy a .17HMR or handload a .223 or Hornet.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

As stated in the above posts. Ammo is not cheap but its a really fun caliber to shoot and plink with. Flat shooting to the 100 yard mark. I have a single shot bolt action Colt in this caliber. You can duplicate the performance with the Lyman 225415 bullet in a 223 for less cost than 22 mag. ammo but its work. I can find it for $9 per 50 in this neck of the woods. You can also fire the sometimes cheaper CCI 22WRF in these guns.

Had an Erma in 22 mag 20 years ago. It shot great. Don't exactly know how it grouped, but it shot well above it's weight on game. Wish I still had it! I have a CZ 17hmr and I regret to say so far I'm very dissapointed. Have bought a different batch of ammo in a different brand and hope it shoots better. Off to the range tomorrow Time will tell....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rollmyown View Post
    Had an Erma in 22 mag 20 years ago. It shot great. Don't exactly know how it grouped, but it shot well above it's weight on game. Wish I still had it! I have a CZ 17hmr and I regret to say so far I'm very dissapointed. Have bought a different batch of ammo in a different brand and hope it shoots better. Off to the range tomorrow Time will tell....

Buy a new Henry if you miss that Erma it is the same gun. The Family who owns Henry Repeating Arms had Erma make the gun. The same gun was also made under the Ithica and Iver Johnson Names. The folks that own Henry bought out Iver Johnson years ago I suspect for the machinery. I have a Henry 22 mag and it is very accurate.

Question Legal for hunting coyotes or bobcat?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerman View Post

I am looking to shoot prairie dogs, coyotes, bobcats etc.....at moderate ranges.

Worth having?
    Might not be legal to use rimfire ammo for hunting some critters.
    Better check your state laws.
    Mark
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

Banned
    The cost of the ammo is starting to out weigh the great features of the cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Yes on the 22 WMRF. I have two, a Ruger 77/22 and a Marlin Levermatic. Fun and no hassles.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    Have you checked the price of .22 Magnum ammo? Reloading is cheaper.
    +1 to this!!

$10-$18 for a box of 50!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

My hornets (yes I have more than one,no they are not for sale) and 222 are way cheaper than 22 mags. The plus is they are more accurate and shoot alot farther and still have the umph to do the job.
    Besides I enjoy reloading!
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast